Huntington FD or FRS Ch 18?

danwstr

Dan W
Premium Subscriber
Huntington, Suffolk County, NY: I'm receiving FRS conversations on what is listed Huntington Fire Ground 462.6250mhz in the RR database. That frequency is also listed as FRS Channel 18. RR Support says Huntington Fire Ground has listed that frequency since 2016. Does Huntington FD use FRS or is this mislabeled?

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Considering 462.625 is within the GMRS allotment and not Part 90; it would odd for this to be licensed to a fire district for official use.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
He's referring to me. He made a submission yesterday asking if the frequency was valid, and I advised him to create a thread here to inquire about the usage.

Anyway, the listings for Huntington FD are 8-14 years old, so probably time to reevaluate them.

1711384097486.png

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Considering 462.625 is within the GMRS allotment and not Part 90; it would odd for this to be licensed to a fire district for official use.
It's not licensed, however public safety agencies do weird stuff from time to time, including picking random (unlicensed, possibly not Part 90) frequencies to operate on.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
It's not licensed, however public safety agencies do weird stuff from time to time, including picking random (unlicensed, possibly not Part 90) frequencies to operate on.
Fair. I'm not certain about Huntington specifically, but I know the SC Fire channels 462.675 and 462.600 are unlikely's, as both are heavily active with licensed GMRS repeaters which would preclude them for effective use as fireground channels.

Radio5390

Premium Subscriber
I can’t speak for Huntington but I have seen FRS channels in some department radios for Fire Police use. Some departments even use FRS radios for their Fire Police. I think it’s a common misconception that the FRS channels are free for alls.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
I can’t speak for Huntington but I have seen FRS channels in some department radios for Fire Police use. Some departments even use FRS radios for their Fire Police. I think it’s a common misconception that the FRS channels are free for alls.
I won't argue here as I know myself that some FD radios are setup this way, but it is however silly, the FRS channels are public channels essentially, any interference from kids to adults make them poor choices for operations. But, this conversation is now way off-topic for this thread.

danwstr

Dan W
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply’s. Old Bearcat anolog scanners (2) don’t have DPL that I’m aware of. I don’t pick up the FRS on the sd100 Which has DPL. If I find ever find a Huntington FD radio guy I’ll ask him about that channel. (lol)