Huntsville, AL Digital Question for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

faste

I'm interested in purchasing a Uniden scanner. Do I need digital capabilities here in Huntsville?

From the radio reference page Madison County, Alabama (AL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference I can see we have no digital trunked systems, but I can see Marshall Space Flight Center #2 / Redstone Arsenal Marshall Space Flight Center #2 / Redstone Arsenal Trunking System, Huntsville, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies uses digital as system voice.

If you were me, would you bother getting a digital capable scanner for the Huntsville area? Would you bet Huntsville, or nearby areas would eventually move to digital?

Thanks in advance

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
I'd be curious about this one as well. I am planning to buy a new scanner soon and while I can't afford digital right now, it would be nice to know if this is something I should be looking at the near future.
Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
::john

First, consider what you want to listen to. You might have no interest in listening to the Marshall Space Flight Center #2 / Redstone Arsenal, but if you do then you would need a digital scanner. I see that there are plenty of services in your county that don't use digital-so you might not see it as worth it to get a digital scanner.

I don't know about Huntsville, but it does seem that many areas are moving to digital so if you have the money for a digital scanner then I'd go ahead and get one. Better safe now than sorry later.

radiopro52

The only digital system in the area is Redstone, and I hear that it's encrypted, so it may be a waste getting a digital scanner just to listen to it. Everything else is still analog. Huntsville will probably go digital eventually but probably not for a while.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The only digital system in the area is Redstone, and I hear that it's encrypted, so it may be a waste getting a digital scanner just to listen to it. Everything else is still analog. Huntsville will probably go digital eventually but probably not for a while.

Unless they've changed recently, a couple years ago when i was in the Huntsville area for the airshow some of Redstone/Marshall was in the clear. But some was encrypted too.

Steve

faste and John, if and when you can afford it go ahead and get the digital capable scanner. You can use it for analog stuff now. And when/if any of the "major/big" players/users go digital, you will be ready (along as it is P25).

John, it is good to see more ALRails folks come aboard here.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The only digital system in the area is Redstone, and I hear that it's encrypted, so it may be a waste getting a digital scanner just to listen to it

Nope - I was just down there in August and reconfirmed some in the database. Those that have an E are encrypted, those that don't can be listened to just fine with a digital scanner.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Steve! For me, the issue is $$ right now. We just don't have it to spend on a nice digital scanner but I would like to at least get something that supports trunking. I have been listening to only railroads for so many years, I am way behind the technology curve when it comes it monitoring public safety, etc. I think I am going to start out with something like GRE PSR-300 and hopefully things will pick up next year and I can get something with digital support. From what I can tell in the database, most of what I would have an interest in is analog, for now anyway (Morgan Co EDACS, Huntsville Pub Safety, etc).

John, it is good to see more ALRails folks come aboard here.
Thanks again Steve! I am planning to add my railroad feed here at RR.com as well as a public safety feed from Decatur/Morgan County as soon as I can get some bugs worked out! Good to see you guys here as well!
::john

Steve

John, the 300 or the RS Pro-164 would be good place to start. Also I think the Uniden BC346XT might fit your bill. I don't have a 346XT (yet) but I do have the 300 and 164. All three radios are close in price I like both radios and i mostly wind up using them for railroad monitoring.

I will be looking forward to your feeds here. I have listened to your rail feed and used your ATCS feed a god bit in the past but not much lately. I have enjoyed both feeds.

faste

Thanks!!

Thanks bob-the-scanner-man, radiopro52, CORN, Steve, and rdale!!

You guys have really helped me. Great information! I am close to the arsenal, so I am interested in listing.

I am going with a digital scanner, hopefully the Uniden BCD396XT, or the Pro-106 if it goes on sale for 300. I am really looking forward to scanning. Thank you!

morganAL

I would go ahead and go with a digital scanner. I have heard that Huntsville is looking to go P-25 in the future. Plus the State will be going out to bid for a 700 MHz P-25 Statewide system...at least phase I anyway.

user422

I second WB4ULV's post - don't waste the money. Minus a few dead spots, the system works well for voice and data...why would they change it? As for listening to HPD, prepare to learn 10-codes fluently (see attachment) or you will be very confused.

Attachments

• HPD 10 Codes.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 247
Status
Not open for further replies.