Hurricane Florence frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As Florence (Flo?) is moving ever closer to the Carolinas, I decided to dig up Hugh Stegman's frequency list - admittedly a bit dated but it's as good a place to start as any...

http://www.ominous-valve.com/hurricne.txt

You'll immediately notice the large number of ALE listings - there are many software packages that can copy this mode (also known as MIL-STD-188-144A, or sometimes just listed as 188-144 in the UDXF logs). This includes the popular MultiPSK, PC-ALE and a few others.

I would also not discount the MWARA frequencies as many flights will need to be diverted around the hurricanes (yes there are at least 3 others currently on the map)

MWARA - The RadioReference Wiki

The USCG SITOR-B broadcast schedules, as well as USCG New Orleans FAX should also be targets (Hugh, if you're reading this, I'm surprised you don't have these frequencies in your list). I wouldn't neglect the NAVTEX broadcasts on LW as well. From our Digital Decoding FAQ, here are the links - and you can find links for software to copy these also in the FAQ in our Software Decoders section...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf
This is a PDF document

USCG HF SITOR

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/navtex.htm

Please post any additional potential targets here. I will sticky this thread until after the storm has passed.

I understand folks have been told to evacuate ahead of the storm - let's all hope for the best and be safe

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since this question came up in another forum - I understand the famous Hurricane Hunters hardly use HF anymore, except if the satellite links are kaput. If they show up at all - and that's a big IF - you may find them using the MWARA frequencies to coordinate their movements with civilian control centers, but I wouldn't count on it. Gull and Teal are two callsigns they've been known to use; there may be others.

Mike

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Was just checking out CG Navtex down on 517Khz.
Not much yet.. Norfolk and Cape Cod forecasts.. Not good boating wx

ZCZC FE59
POC/COMMAND DUTY OFFICER/-/FLEWEACEN NORFOLK VA/LOC:NORFOLK VA/

TEL: 757-444-7583/EMAIL:FWC-NORFOLK.CDO(AT)NAVY.MIL//
RMKS/FZNT23 KWNM 102145
OFFN01
NAVTEX MARINE FCST FOR NE US WATERS
NWS OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER WA DC
545 PM EDT MON SEP 10 2018
CONDITIONS GIVEN REPRESENT THE HIGHEST WITHIN THAT PERIOD.
...PLEASE REFER TO COASTAL WATERS FORECASTS (CWF) AVAILABLE
THRU NOAA WX RADIO AND OTHER MEANS FOR DETAILEDCOASTAL
WATERS FORECASTS...
.SYNOPSIS...A WARM FRONT WILL LIFT N THRU THE AREA TONIGHT AND

TUE, THEN CLEAR N OF THE WATERS TUE NIGHT AS LOW PRES MOVES
NE THRU NEW ENGLAND INTO SE CN. A WEAK COLD FRONT WILL
APPROACH THE NEW ENGLANDCOAST TUE, MOVE OFFSHORE TUE NIGHT, THEN

PASS THRU THE WATERS WED. THE FRONT WILL DISSIPATE JUST S OF

THE AREA WED NIGHT AS A HIGH PRES BUILDS ACROSS THE AREA AND

PERSISTS THRU SAT NIGHT. HURCN FLORENCE IS FCST TO
PASS WELL S OF THE AREA WED INTO THU, THEN MOVE SLOWLY INLAND

THU NIGHT THRU SAT NIGHT. ALL MARINE INTERESTS SHOULD CLOSELY

MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL HURCN CENTER.

EASTPORT ME TO CAPE COD
.TONIGHT...SE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 5 TO 9 FT. RAIN.
.TUE...S WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 6 TO 10 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS
SHOHERSRAND TSTMS WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.
.WED...N TO NE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SCATTERED
SHOWERS AND TSTMS WITH VSBY 1 NM OR LESS.
.WED NIGHT...N TO NE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT.
.THU...NE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT.
.THU NIGHT...N TO NE WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.
.FRI...N TO NE WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 8 FT.
.FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT.

.SAT...S WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.
.SAT NIGHT...S TO SE WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.

NNNN
BRK

ZZZZ

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mark's logging brings this to mind;

NAVTEX is based on SITOR-B protocols, so any package that can handle SITOR-B can easily copy NAVTEX. So ignoring the kilobuck packages, software such as MultiPSK, Sigmira, Sorcerer, Frisnit, SeaTTY, YAND, FLDigi / TIVAR and MixW (using the alternate name of AMTOR FEC). All good choices. For WinRadio folks, the Advanced Digital Suite and even the Universal FSK Decoder will do it. Links for all of these can be found in the Software Decoders section of the Decoding Digital document linked in my sig.

Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A couple of other things I've dug up - another callsign the Hurricane Hunters used to use was NOAA 41 and 42, respectively. Those flight numbers may well have changed in the interim.

And here's a HUGE aero frequency list from Hugh Stegman's site from 2017. Likely there has been some changes since then, but there are other Aero centers that might get involved in this emergency, so here it is...

The Btown Monitoring Post: Civilian Aero/Military HF Frequency List - Update 11 Aug 2017

I understand the July issue of the Spectrum Monitor has a lot more information on hurricane listening.

Mike

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Rgr Mike NOAA 49 is GLF4 type aircraft and TEAL are the
MS ANG WC-130J's working for NOAA. The NOAA flights work high altitudes,WC-130J's much lower.
You can see today's scheduled NOAA/TEAL flights here under Plan of the Day links.
The TEAL flights look busy for next couple days for Florence and Olivia in Hawaii area.
TEAL 71,72 WC-130J's moved up to Savannah Ga to work from there today.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/recon.php

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Since this question came up in another forum - I understand the famous Hurricane Hunters hardly use HF anymore, except if the satellite links are kaput. If they show up at all - and that's a big IF - you may find them using the MWARA frequencies to coordinate their movements with civilian control centers, but I wouldn't count on it. Gull and Teal are two callsigns they've been known to use; there may be others.

Mike
I would guess GHFS would be used, a bit.

Sent using Tapatalk

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's stick to HF and LW in this thread - the Carolina forums should be used for their respective trunk systems and whatever EOC operations come up

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
for which Hurricane Net, Tom? The same as on 14325 (and others?) or something else? Or is this local to the Carolinas - in which case that's where it should go...this is a HF and down only forum...Mike

w2xq

Mentor
As I stated Mike, i don't know anything about the 5 W's of TG 3199. I am monitoring it using a spare tablet to see what (if sny) activity shows up. There are number of hams that have looked in on the talkgroup today.

But then again the storm isn't expected to make landfall until Friday morning. Using Roku, this morning I watched some of the local TV stations' news and weather broadcasts. Unlike the FUD panic aired by the Weather Channel, the local broadcasters were calm, cool and collected.

This too will pass.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Let's stick to HF and LW in this thread - the Carolina forums should be used for their respective trunk systems and whatever EOC operations come up

Mike

I wish there were a broader forum for EOC operations for Florence. North Carolina is just one of three states expecting major impact from the storm. I live in VA.

But I agree this is not the forum either.

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
The COTHEN, FEMA and SHARES frequencies are also active during these events, not just ALE but also voicecomms (USB). Also the Salvation Army SATERN nets on 40 and 20 Meters HF previously was home to many state emergency management nets, but most seem to have gravitated to VHF encryption and cell phones.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is a big ISB Link-11 net up on 13206 - I wonder if it is up supporting all the Naval assets out of Norfolk that are currently under sortie away from the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.