Hurst Moving To NTIRN

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to an update in the database already, I just came across this from the last Hurst City Council Meeting.

10. Consider authorizing the city manager to enter into a Purchase and Service Agreement with Motorola Solutions Inc. to replace public safety radios and upgrade the current radio site including integration with the North Texas Interoperable Radio Network (NTIRN)

Agenda Packet: Radio Talk Starts on Page 48

Looks like Hurst will finally be moving over to the NTIRN system. No timeline as of yet on the transition. The chief made it sound like it may be a pretty quick transition, based off of that he said during the meeting (only software upgrades basically), basically saying they are going to connect the existing tower site to the Master.

Also sounds like they are planning to purchase APX NEXT for PD/Fire, APX 6500s for mobiles and APX 6000s for public works.

So, I'm wondering if since they are connecting directly to the Master switch, does this mean they will have their own site layer, or could they possibly be on the NET site or Layer 1/2 and use this as an additional simulcast site to NET or Layer 1/2, like other surrounding cities? The wording to me is not clear.

Just trying to figure out if we should be looking for the existing 700 MHz site to start showing an NTIRN site ID and neighbor sites to the NTIRN or not when this transition happens.

If their on their own site, TGIDs may stay the same. If not, they may be getting all new TGIDs...

Also good news, no mention of ENC, much like other cities in this area.

nd5y

I would bet they use the existing frequencies as a separate site (or "layer") like all the other additions have been. I don't know if it would be possible to use the existing site as it is (Sysid 3FF) with a ISSI link. Maybe they already have ISSI for interop purposes.

If they use the existing frequencies they don't have to go through frequency coordination and licensing, not to mention the hardware additions and changes to make it a simulcast site on FW or NET layers.

Last edited:

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Tom, but I'm hoping they make the Hurst talk groups simulcast on the NETCO or FWL1/2 sites as well, but they may not need that with the new radios and LTE (which won't extended the range of their site alone). Time will tell.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just trying to figure out if we should be looking for the existing 700 MHz site to start showing an NTIRN site ID and neighbor sites to the NTIRN or not when this transition happens.

If their on their own site, TGIDs may stay the same. If not, they may be getting all new TGIDs...
The existing TGIDs on Hurst's system are in the 26xxx range. Current TGIDs on NTIRN get up to 20xxx, then a gap until 30xxx where the Dallas layers pickup the talkgroups. So, I supposed it might be possible for Hurst to retain their current talkgroups.

I'm hoping they make the Hurst talk groups simulcast on the NETCO or FWL1/2 sites as well, but they may not need that with the new radios and LTE (which won't extended the range of their site alone). Time will tell.
I'd agree with you on this. Logically, they would fit into the NETCO group since they share common borders.