Hustler G6144B

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9KSO

I ordered my first 2-meter antenna this morning. I've read good reports about the Hustler G6 and wanted something above average for my first.

I also ordered an SWR meter and 75' of LMR400 cable and a short jumper cable.

The antenna will be about 30' up to the base and about 40' at the top of the radiator.

I've already hit (and miss) a repeater about 50 miles from here on 5 watts using my TH-D74A, so I expect to be hearing and talking to a lot more operators.

KD9KSO

I wonder why that is? It seems to be of good quality, not too pricey, and is supposed to be a good performer.

nanZor

Decent antenna but it may totally overload the front end of your HT.

I did something similar back in the 80's when I put up a homebrew J-pole at about 50 feet, and fed that to my Yaesu FT-209 handheld. A totally pegged-out S-meter at all times was the result. :(

That led to building a "paint-can-cavity" for 2m to deal with it.

Just a heads-up that the antenna install sounds good, but you may need a better radio / front-end to deal with that depending on your local rf environment.

KD9KSO

I think the Kenwood D-74 front-end is handling the signal well. I have no problems with signal overload using this antenna.

I finally got it installed this morning before the major heat set in. I'm hitting repeaters 60 miles away and simplex communication 30 miles up the road. So far.

SWR check netted 1.2 at resonance with no adjustment needed after final assembly.

8mKvjR0.jpg

KD9KSO

I'm very happy with the performance. Very good price/performance ratio. I don't think you can do better for a single band antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.