I-95 and NCSHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

Hi
I will be traveling I-95 Va to Fla vis I-95. I have the GRE106 digital scanner and I wanted to down only the NCSHP that work the I-95. Is there a way to do that or should I do the Wild card.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Mike

basstuba

Premium Subscriber
Hear are some towers from the S.C. up in N.C 868.9125 (Robeson cnty) 868.7125,868.8875( cumberland co) 868.750 ( Harnett Co) good for hp traffic and cumberland county.

nitroboie

CFP387

Around Salisbury today, I spotted to SHP cars whose identifications were I142 and I143. I was not aware of a Troop I, only the original 8 troops. Can anyone confirm what I (Ida) Troop is?

kd8x

Around Salisbury today, I spotted to SHP cars whose identifications were I142 and I143. I was not aware of a Troop I, only the original 8 troops. Can anyone confirm what I (Ida) Troop is?

There is also M and N id's and NZ and Z ids...dont know if they are just running out of callsigns or not but we just don't have that many troopers do we?? 100-999 would be a bunch of ids per letter. Hopefully a trooper can fill us in on the situation.

SCPD

QRT
I troop used to be interstate highway only cars. I thought that they had eliminated them but they must've brought them back. Just a guess but I suspect that "M" units are motorcycle units. Zebra units are aircraft. "V" units are VIPER techs

Last edited:

xfhp-730

I troop used to be interstate highway only cars. I thought that they had eliminated them but they must've brought them back. Just a guess but I suspect that "M" units are motorcycle units. Zebra units are aircraft. "V" units are VIPER techs
That would be correct.. I cars stand for Interstate Team. The states drug interdiction team.

CFP387

Okay, so if the I1 (Ida 1xx) designation means that they are interstate only cars, to what counties are they assigned? There's really no rhyme or reasoning behind such random numbering.

xfhp-730

They are not assigned to a district or single county. Example.... all I troop cars in my area work out of the Troop D office in Greensboro, but they cover all of I85, and I40 that runs thru Troop D. All they work is traffic, and interdiction. They handle no wrecks that occurr in the county.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
SHP Numbers start out like this:

X100 through X-1?? is the Colonol all the way to the Lieutenants in the Highway Patrol. ( This includes the Lieutenant Colonols, Majors, Captains and Lieutenants).

Cars that start with yx11 are District First Sergeants
Cars that start with yx21 through x23 are District Line Sergeants

Cars that start with yx30 through yx?? are Troopers
Cars that start with y12? through y12? are troopers that are specifically assigned to troop headquarters.

x= District (ex. Troop "C" District 8 First Sergeant would be call on the radio as C811)
y= Troop

Troop letters are A-H, Districts run from 1 through 8

Motor Carrier Enforcement troopers use 9 numbers (ex. Troop "B" District 9 First Sergeant would be B911 which indicates this is a Motor Carrier First Sergeant).

Most Motor Carrier District Line Sergeants start with yx921 through yx927. This is in part due to this district covering a whole troop instead of being broken into areas like regular troopers.

They are considered a special group be cause of truck enforcement.

Numbers y190 is the Troop Radio Engineer II
Numbers y191 is the Troop Communications supervisor
Numbers y192 is the Troop Head Garage Mechanic

Numbers yX11 through yX99 are civilian troop personnel

y= Troop letter designation

The database has a SHP map of the different troops and districts.

The only thing that has changed is the addition of a new District 7 in Troop "D" which is Orange County

There is going to be a new Disrict 7 in Troop "E" which these counties have not been finaliazed yet.

I- Interstate/Interdiction Units
M- Motorcycle Units
N- Alcohol Enforcement Units
Z- Helicopter Piliots & Troopers

Troop A (Greenville) has 8 Districts and District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop B (Fayetteville) has 8 Districts and District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop C (Raleigh) has 8 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop D (Greensboro) has 7 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop E (Salisbury) Will soon have 7 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop F (Newton) has 5 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop G (Asheville) has 6 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier
Troop H (Monroe) has 6 Districts and a District 9 Motor Carrier

I will say in closing that most of the troopers will check on and off via MDT (computer) instead of using the radio in some areas,

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to add in my alst posting:

All First Sergeants to the Colonol will always be driving unmark patrol vehicles

All District Line Sergeants will be in a marked patrol vehicle.

All Troopers may or may not be in marked patrol vehicles

All marked patrol vehicles will be displaying in the rear windshield bottom left corner the troop letter district number and id number. (ex. D636= trooper from Troop D District 6 (Asheboro) Trooper Id number).

David

CFP387

Thanks for the clarifications, David and xfhp-730. That really clears up some of the questions that I had. So, in understanding that the I "Ida" units that I saw in the Chic-fil-A parking lot in Salisbury yesterday were working the entire Troop "E" interstate areas, can you explain those id numbers?

I142 and I143 were the two cars I saw in the parking lot. With that identification in the back glass, how are we to know that they are working out of Troop "E"? The only way I'm assuming that they were is because of where they were spotted.

As a side note, they were both marked 2011 Dodge Chargers with a 5/8" VHF whip and an 800 Mhz antenna and an LED lightbar on top. Didn't see them get out of the cars to determine if they held any ranking or if they were just regular troopers.

I know these questions are kind of aggravating, but that's the first I've heard of an I (Ida) group of idents for SHP. And since all the other idents have Troop and District in them, I was just wondering if the I (Ida) troop does too.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
The VHF Antenna you saw could be one of two things.

Some of the District Troopers that are lucky enough will have a cross-band repeater system.

When I worked in the radio shop they were using Tait radios and the troopers hated them. Now I think they are experimenting with a Vertex type set-up.

What that means is the trooper will be out of the car and then if he is needed then he will talk on the highband portable and then it will be repeated out through the 110 watt low band mobile in the car.

The frequencies for this are:

155.920 Mhz & 155.445 Mhz They transmit on one & recieve on the other one. The PL is 131.8 Hz.

With all troopers being issued 800Mhz Viper Radios it may be used for there wireless microphones used in conjuction with ther cameras when they make a stop. That way they have both a visual picture and audio for use in a court of law.

I know when I worked in the radio shop the troopers would always stop by to have there camera scanner reprogrammed to match their wireless mike. When the camera lost power the scanner in the camera would loose programming. Back then they were in the 173.000 Mhz range.

As far as Governor Security I will have to ask around on that one. I do know that the security team uses lowband channels 5 & 6 and they have a few digital 800 Mhz talkgroups as well. Some maybe even encrypted and can not be monitored.

You might want to shoot Marshall the NC Database coordinator a PM he might be able to assist you with SHP call signs and stuff around the Raleigh area.

I pretty much stick with the Western and Central part of the state. The basic areas around the Charlotte Metro Area.

The Ida units are mainly used for interstate areas near the major cities in the state. They mainly patrol around the Raleigh/Durham, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, and Asheville Areas. They also work the stretch of I-95 down near Johnston County.

As soon as I can find out I will pass it alone.

David

Last edited:

CCHLLM

By 5/8" VHF whip did you mean 5/8 wave? They aren't 5/8 wave VHF, they're low band VHF unity gain antennas for the 42 MHz radios. You can tell by the low band matching coil bodies being much taller than a VHF high band coil. Those antennas aren't nearly as efficient as a low band 1/4 wave, but they make the cars look "prettier." All NCSHP cars still have low band radios and will continue to have those until VIPER is fully built out, so that's probably a low band antenna you saw. The high band repeaters still in service will most likely have ~18 inch 1/4 wave whips instead of 5/8 wave gain antennas.

NCSHP dispatch is a multicast on VIPER 800 and low band systems. Be aware that with most of the cars being equipped with VIPER mobiles and the troopers having VIPER portables, VIPER is the primary mobile radio system now in most of the areas you will pass through on I-95 and there's not a lot of low band mobile traffic anymore. Monitoring the low band side of NCSHP radio will leave you mostly hearing the dispatch side only and no mobile traffic for two reasons: the low band system uses non-repeated semi-duplex channel pairs, and the trooper is probably using the VIPER radio instead of the low band. Check the database for the low band channel pairs if you want to program your radio for those, but don't expect to hear much out of the low band mobile side unless you're fairly close to the mobile that's transmitting, if he's actually transmitting on low band, that is.

Last edited:

CFP387

By 5/8" VHF whip did you mean 5/8 wave? They aren't 5/8 wave VHF, they're low band VHF unity gain antennas for the 42 MHz radios...All NCSHP cars still have low band radios and will continue to have those until VIPER is fully built out, so that's probably a low band antenna you saw.

I'd say that you're right. I can tell you it was a black trunk-mount with a black base that had some red writing on it. By the way, does any SHP Troop cars still have the large side-mounted antennas with the ball at the base anymore?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I will be working on some Wiki stuff (along with Ham database stuff) this weekend and (thanks to David) will have most of the info I need to create a detailed NCSHP info article. :) Though I knew most of the info already it is good to have it in one spot. Thanks David!

Marshall KE4ZNR

fcfd988

Feed Provider
I'd say that you're right. I can tell you it was a black trunk-mount with a black base that had some red writing on it. By the way, does any SHP Troop cars still have the large side-mounted antennas with the ball at the base anymore?

It is my understanding that the only cars still using the 1/4 wave low-band ball mounts are spare cars. It is rare to see one anymore in my area (Troop E, Dist 4 and 5) but I do seem to notice more of them when passing through the more mountainous areas of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.