I bit the bullet and bought a BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmi8dy

you will be very pleased about your decision. learn how to use it, and dont get discourged at first. there is a little learning curve but after that it a pleasure to use. pear it up with " free scan " and you cant go wrong.

lucky43113

you will be very pleased about your decision. learn how to use it, and dont get discourged at first. there is a little learning curve but after that it a pleasure to use. pear it up with " free scan " and you cant go wrong.

thanks, ebay says it will be here on the 12th cant wait to get it i have a jtd1 discone antenna about 20ft in the air so hopefully ill be good to go

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
You're going to love the 996P2. I just got mine last month (arrived on December 23, so it was an early Christmas present from me to me! LOL) Absolutely love this beast. Got it loaded with my local stuff, plus adjacent counties and even with the stock antenna it picks things up great. Let us know when you get it and if you need any help getting it up and running. Good luck! :)

lucky43113

Lucky, this article from our wiki (links are always blue) has links to just about everything you will need to get started; included are links to the Easier to Read manuals at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Thanks a lot for the info im trying to contact the seller on ebay my scanner is marked shipped but they did not give me a tracking number

rs16

Premium Subscriber
The 996P2 is intriguing--why would one choose the 996P2 over the the Home Patrol 1 or Home Patrol 2?

Are you able to change antennas on the 996P2 and not the Home Patrols?

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I know it is cheaper, but if price were not an issue, is there anything that the 996P2 offers that would lead someone to choose it over the HP-1 and HP-2?

Also, is there any known difference in the reception provided by the 996P2 vs. HP-1, HP-2, or 536HP?

lucky43113

I know it is cheaper, but if price were not an issue, is there anything that the 996P2 offers that would lead someone to choose it over the HP-1 and HP-2?

Also, is there any known difference in the reception provided by the 996P2 vs. HP-1, HP-2, or 536HP?

not sure i guess a lot depends on personal preference and where you live and what you want to listen too

lucky43113

still no tracking or communication other than 1 message yesterday saying tracking would be added by the end of the day but im not worried ebay said if i do not have it by the 13th to call them to get a refund

lu81fitter

I agree with the OP. That is his preference. The Uniden 996 series is tried and true, along with the BCT 15 and 15X (which I own). They are good performers. Not to derail this thread, but I will be purchasing a 996P2 in the near future. I like the features of that style radio and also its cost. I will give a +1 to the 996P2.

lucky43113

I agree with the OP. That is his preference. The Uniden 996 series is tried and true, along with the BCT 15 and 15X (which I own). They are good performers. Not to derail this thread, but I will be purchasing a 996P2 in the near future. I like the features of that style radio and also its cost. I will give a +1 to the 996P2.

i will let you know how i like it once i get it

SOFA_KING

The 996P2 is a good scanner with great sound quality and a nice easy to read display. It's a nice looking unit, as well. Equal receiver performance with the HP models, but no RR database built in, so you have to roll your own from scratch or import from a paid subscription. And now you have more modes available if you want DMR or Provoice. I use mine for local county scanning and special side monitoring of alternative stuff like low band skip monitoring. Not as flexible on code search display, as you are forced to choose analog code search or digital code search, but not both at the same time (bummer). Color display is nice, but the limited display time of color change on activity detection is a little let down. And weak signal P25 reception is not nearly as good as the x36 scanners with MANUAL threshold settings at 9 for V/U and 10 for 700/800. And that MANUAL tuning can really help on simulcast systems (mine does). So it is pretty much a good sounding (and good looking) home area scanner.

The HP models, with those tiny little internal speakers, sound tinny to my ears. Drives me nuts to listen to it for any length of time. No MANUAL P25 setting, so no range or LSM advantage there. Good user interface (maybe the best of all of them...easy to zip around and change things), and built in RR database that works well with GPS. No DMR or Provoice at this time. I would guess that is coming soon though with the recent P2 upgrades now showing "it can be done". And the form factor on the HP series never worked out well for me. It's not a real base unit, and not mounting friendly in a mobile. I think this is a "table top, next to your beer can, alongside your lazyboy chair" type design. I use mine for recording new search hits when I'm away from home.

But the x36 scanners have better receivers with true NFM filtering and MANUAL threshold control. The database is built in for GPS control while traveling. Also, the GPS coverage area can be difined with multiple rectangles, and not just a single circle...like the HP and 996P2. That gives me better border control, which i dial in to perfection. Plus the sound is better over the HP models, especially on the 536, but even the 436 is better sounding and easier to hear in a vehicle. The display shows a lot of useful data for search hounds, but the small fonts mean you have to be close to it to read it. No color display...no frills there. DMR and Provoice available, but no NXDN like my Whistler TRX-2. Overall this is the best scanner you can get. I do wish they would get AGC working like Whistler did. My Whistlers sound so much better. Strange that the option shows in all the software, but doesn't actually do anything. When is Uniden going to finish this and get it working?

So congrats on your new 996P2. I know you will like it. Mine is a keeper for what it does and does well.

Phil

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
lucky I would suggest doing 1 or 2 conventional systems, then 1 trunk. Fool around with the various options, learn how QKs work and what they're for...basically just put in enough to get you started. Many folks try to go whole-hog all at once and end up getting lost and frustrated.

For whatever software you use, set up your configuration, then when you have it working, immediately back it up, so if you hose something up - we've all done it, it's not that hard to do, frankly - you can easily restore it.

Mike

lucky43113

lucky I would suggest doing 1 or 2 conventional systems, then 1 trunk. Fool around with the various options, learn how QKs work and what they're for...basically just put in enough to get you started. Many folks try to go whole-hog all at once and end up getting lost and frustrated.

For whatever software you use, set up your configuration, then when you have it working, immediately back it up, so if you hose something up - we've all done it, it's not that hard to do, frankly - you can easily restore it.

Mike

local stuff is done only took 5min

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear you got your new scanner and got it up and running quickly. I love my 996P2! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.