I-call for UHF conventional or LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure there is someone that is more knowledgeable about this than me. I am a college student at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and while I was in the Belk Gymnasium, I noticed one of the employees' radios started ringing I guess something similar to I-Call on a Motorola trunked system. The employee then punched in a code on the keypad and answered the other person. The only systems listed for UNC-Charlotte are a LTR system and conventional frequencies. So, were they utilizing the LTR and if so, how can you monitor these transmissions?

DaveH

NCFireman11 said:
I'm sure there is someone that is more knowledgeable about this than me. I am a college student at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and while I was in the Belk Gymnasium, I noticed one of the employees' radios started ringing I guess something similar to I-Call on a Motorola trunked system. The employee then punched in a code on the keypad and answered the other person. The only systems listed for UNC-Charlotte are a LTR system and conventional frequencies. So, were they utilizing the LTR and if so, how can you monitor these transmissions?

LTR can't do I-call as with Moto SmartNet etc. and EDACS systems. The only way I know
to get a radio-radio call is on specific groups set up on a per-radio basis. That said:
LTR can be set up for phone interconnect i.e. phone patching, so that's probably what
is being done.

Dave

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Plus of course a conventional frequency can be setup for telephone interconnect with callback to the radio from a telephone.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
I have not heard if UNCC is even using LTR, though the RR DB says they have a syetem. When I worked there from '96 to '98, select employees had access to a phone patch on conventional frequencies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the replies, it must have been a phone patch then. Yea, even though the LTR system is listed, I have never captured any traffic on it either. As far as I know campus police,maintenance, housing, recreational services, and parking services are still using the conventional frequencies because I monitor them regularly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.