I-Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8DAD

Feed Provider
Can anyone give me thoughts on I-Calls,
Can I stream I-Calls over Radio Reference or is that a no-no ??????

Thanks for the help.....

jbas

I don't think they should be streamed. I am not a big fan of streaming anyway. I just feel that some things should not be heard. It just adds fuel to the fire of encryption. If the agency approves it then that is fine but otherwise I don't think it should be on the internet. Just my opinion

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia

Thanks for the help.....
You would have to ask a live streaming admin but I am sure they will say no to i-call as they are meant as a private call between two units that others are not suppose to hear but only a live admin can confirm.

I do not stream them even though they have been the only way post 58 has communicated to the units in the field.

Thanks for the help.....
Since you are a provider. I am guessing you already the terms of service for being a feed provider. Feed Provider Terms of Service - The RadioReference Wiki

Since I-calls are meant to be private. I would say no. But if you have another scanner you can listen to them yourself of course.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I-call is a national interoperability frequency, nothing private about them. The State of Michigan has a repeater for I-call on every (state-owned) MPSCS tower.

The ToS for the feeds on RR could be an issue, since they are not a dispatch assignment. In that vein, I would say that putting the I-Tac assignments online would be a violation.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Krokus, he's asking about Individual Calls where two units can carry on a private conversation unheard by other users of the system. Motorola refers to these as Private Calls.

He's not talking about the interoperability channels.

Unfortunately, scanners refer to these calls as I-Calls which are easily confused with the ICall Interoperability repeater.

SCPD

QRT
I guess I need a clarification

When this private conversation that other users can't hear is going on, can I hear it on my scanner?
Is this conversation going thru the system, just like any other conversation?

I guess I'm trying to grasp the concept on how I can tell the difference.
I'm sitting here, got the Pro-96 scanning in open mode. Hear a conversation.
What's jumping out at me, telling me, I'm hearing a private I-Call.

Last edited:

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I-call is a national interoperability frequency, nothing private about them. The State of Michigan has a repeater for I-call on every (state-owned) MPSCS tower.

The ToS for the feeds on RR could be an issue, since they are not a dispatch assignment. In that vein, I would say that putting the I-Tac assignments online would be a violation.

There is two different i-calls, if you walk about the one on the state P25 trunk system, that is meant for private communications and I am sure that would get turned down.
Now if you are talking about the icall on 851.01250 which yes has the repeater at all sites, then yes the ICALL on 851.0125 is okay to broadcast as it was approved on my stream.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
When this private conversation that other users can't hear is going on, can I hear it on my scanner?
Is this conversation going thru the system, just like any other conversation?

I guess I'm trying to grasp the concept on how I can tell the difference.
I'm sitting here, got the Pro-96 scanning in open mode. Hear a conversation.
What's jumping out at me, telling me, I'm hearing a private I-Call.

I can answer your second question easily:
When a user places a Private Call to another user, the system uses a repeater at the tower(s) that each radio is affilliated with to carry their conversation, just like any other radio traffic. The only difference is that it only delivers the signal to the 2 radios in question, so other users on the system can't hear it.

That said, I know there are scanners that can receive those Private Calls, but I don't know if the Pro-96 is one of them. Even though I have one, I have never tried it since our county doesn't utilize the Private Call feature, & even if we did, all of our radios are encrypted. :mad:

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Private calls

The Pro-96 will NOT track private calls but there is a trick to use. You can devote one bank to the local tower and add all of the frequencies except the control channel. When you hear someone wanting to go to a private call switch to that bank and when you hear that voice you have it. Of course if they are near another tower you won't hear a thing but if they are on your local tower you have them.

I can answer your second question easily:
When a user places a Private Call to another user, the system uses a repeater at the tower(s) that each radio is affilliated with to carry their conversation, just like any other radio traffic. The only difference is that it only delivers the signal to the 2 radios in question, so other users on the system can't hear it.

That said, I know there are scanners that can receive those Private Calls, but I don't know if the Pro-96 is one of them. Even though I have one, I have never tried it since our county doesn't utilize the Private Call feature, & even if we did, all of our radios are encrypted. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.