I cannot hear the system controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcarr2015

Premium Subscriber
I have tried all night and cannot hear the system controller on the repeater. I have also tried to listen to the one in the plains ohio. I am looking at getting the police, state police, ems. It would be in Athens County, Athens Ohio trimble area. I can hear the system controller on AEP but not on marcs ip system. Any help or suggestions as to what I am doing wrong would be helpful. I have read a lot but I still got a lot to go. I am using FreeSCan. I have an Uniden BCD996p2. I am within 5 miles of the repeater. I am also have conventional programming on the scanner. I have setup my quickkeys, also on the site and group for the way I want it organized.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The AEP system is EDACS, but if memory serves, MARCS IP is P25 on 700 Mhz, which is going to drastically cut how far away you can hear the system. With digital, it's either you get it or you don't. There is a possibility here that the antennas being used on the MARCS system are oriented toward their coverage area, and away from you. This is being done (and has been documented) on many of the newer systems these days.

You didn't say anything about the antenna you are using, but with a good outdoor antenna, perhaps a yagi in this case (in other words, something more directional), mounted outdoors (preferably) and free of obstructions, 5 miles from a tower should be doable...Mike

lcarr2015

Premium Subscriber
The AEP system is EDACS, but if memory serves, MARCS IP is P25 on 700 Mhz, which is going to drastically cut how far away you can hear the system. With digital, it's either you get it or you don't. There is a possibility here that the antennas being used on the MARCS system are oriented toward their coverage area, and away from you. This is being done (and has been documented) on many of the newer systems these days.

You didn't say anything about the antenna you are using, but with a good outdoor antenna, perhaps a yagi in this case (in other words, something more directional), mounted outdoors (preferably) and free of obstructions, 5 miles from a tower should be doable...Mike

Thanks for the info. I am just using the stock antenna that came with the scanner. Is there any good indoor antenna's that would pick up?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't have one of these, but it does get you an example of what I am talking about...

700 MHz yagi antenna | ZDA Communications

This antenna would likely work acceptably at 800 Mhz, though not as well. If you have an attic or similar, mount it up as high as you can. You may need to find the best signals by turning the antenna - as these antennas are quite small, that's not a real issue. Some people have put them in their closets or even hung them in their room and they would work. Of course, outside is always better.

We have a different forum for discussing antennas like these here - feel free to ask more questions here...

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

Mike

lcarr2015

Premium Subscriber
I don't have one of these, but it does get you an example of what I am talking about...

700 MHz yagi antenna | ZDA Communications

This antenna would likely work acceptably at 800 Mhz, though not as well. If you have an attic or similar, mount it up as high as you can. You may need to find the best signals by turning the antenna - as these antennas are quite small, that's not a real issue. Some people have put them in their closets or even hung them in their room and they would work. Of course, outside is always better.

We have a different forum for discussing antennas like these here - feel free to ask more questions here...

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - The RadioReference.com Forums

Mike

Thank you for you time and patience. I will invest in one. Lets keep out our fingers crossed this will solve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.