I finally got it up...Comet CX-333

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8cpa-chuck

It's been up for a few weeks. But, I'm just getting around to posting about it here.

No, that's not me on the tower! That is John N8NWA, who is either crazily brave or bravely crazy --- or both.

I can hear EVERYWHERE! (well....not everywhere everywhere... but pretty darn close!)

I will have to invest in some new guy lines for the tower, my climber politely informed me that my tower was wobbly and there was corrosion up there on the wires. (Gulp!)

I'm feeding it with Belden 8214. works wonderful!

Attachments

• newantenna.jpg
    newantenna.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,055

SCPD

QRT
I wish I knew more about tower installations, but I do know this - N8NWA can use some fall protection.

Falls kill people. I really must insist that you and your friends make safety a priority. Especially when you talk about corrosion on your down guys! (GULP!) Safety isn't something to "gulp" about on the internet. Take it seriously... do it first.

Do I have this right? Or is he wearing a harness that I cannot see? Remember, body belts are NOT fall protection!

Nice tower otherwise, I suppose.

Last edited:

K8cpa-chuck

He was wearing a 6 piece harness.

Just cannot see it from the pic, it was shot with my iPod touch.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wish I knew more about tower installations, but I do know this - N8NWA can use some fall protection.

Falls kill people. I really must insist that you and your friends make safety a priority. Especially when you talk about corrosion on your down guys! (GULP!) Safety isn't something to "gulp" about on the internet. Take it seriously... do it first.

Do I have this right? Or is he wearing a harness that I cannot see? Remember, body belts are NOT fall protection!

Nice tower otherwise, I suppose.

He's wearing a rig.

ANSI approved climbing belts are! They use 4" D rings which are clipped to the tower legs! I used them while sitting 150' up eating my lunch & taking pics. :)

n9zas

K8cpa-chuck

He's wearing a rig.

ANSI approved climbing belts are! They use 4" D rings which are clipped to the tower legs! I used them while sitting 150' up eating my lunch & taking pics. :)

n9zas

Yeah, I wouldn't send anyone up my tower without a rig! I'm not that bad.... ;) :p

gewecke

Banned
When I was about 19 I would go up with nothing more than a couple of bungees! :(
After a near miss,that stopped that.

The cx-333 a great antenna and was my choice if I didn't get my diamond.

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
He was wearing a 6 piece harness.
I can't see the harness in the pic, and I'm not sure what a "6 piece harness" is. If the dude is wearing proper fall protection, great - I don't mean to speak out of school or offend anyone.

No, they're not. Body belts are NOT fall protection, period. They are positioning devices - ANSI has zero to do with it. ANSI is a standard-orientated agency, not a governing body. Read the fscking standard, would ya?

You don't know what you're talking about and your advice will get someone killed. It's "safety first" - that's the point my post: PROPER FALL PROTECTION ON TOWERS.

Also, I don't care where you eat your lunch.

Edit to add: regarding your choice for lunch: people say it all the time... "we've always done it this way" - guess what gets people killed? Think.

Last edited:

K8cpa-chuck

When I was about 19 I would go up with nothing more than a couple of bungees! :(
After a near miss,that stopped that.

The cx-333 a great antenna and was my choice if I didn't get my diamond.

n9zas

Bungees? You are crazy... ;)

It's a great antenna, but as I said in another thread, I'd like to get that Kenwood D710A, But, nobody makes a duplexer with the following:

Port 1: 2 meter/440
port 2 220- whatever....

What I'd like, is a triplexer that goes as follows:

Port: 220
port 3: 500-1000 for a scanner.

But can you find one?

If so, where?

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

gewecke

Banned
I can't see the harness in the pic, and I'm not sure what a "6 piece harness" is. If the dude is wearing proper fall protection, great - I don't mean to speak out of school or offend anyone.

No, they're not. Body belts are NOT fall protection, period. They are positioning devices - ANSI has zero to do with it. ANSI is a standard-orientated agency, not a governing body. Read the fscking standard, would ya?

You don't know what you're talking about and your advice will get someone killed. It's "safety first" - that's the point my post: PROPER FALL PROTECTION ON TOWERS.

Also, I don't care where you eat your lunch.

Edit to add: regarding your choice for lunch: people say it all the time... "we've always done it this way" - guess what gets people killed? Think.

Wow, trip did someone pee in your wheaties today?
I didn't mean to to get you wound.
These ARE the climbing rigs I'm talking about, so check them out and you'll see that they are ansi approved for tower climbing.

http://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/itm/fall_protection/index.html

I won't debate these things with you, but you know what you know and I know what I know! ;)
I've climbed many towers and never killed anyone, not even myself.
Have a nice day.

n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
Bungees? You are crazy... ;)

It's a great antenna, but as I said in another thread, I'd like to get that Kenwood D710A, But, nobody makes a duplexer with the following:

port 2 220- whatever....

What I'd like, is a triplexer that goes as follows:

Port: 220
port 3: 500-1000 for a scanner.

But can you find one?

If so, where?

Thanks,

-Chuck K8CPA

Yep I wasn't too worried about safety when I was a kid, lol!
As far a triplexer, I'm not sure without doing more research.

This is where I got mine for my kenwoods,

http://www.diamondantenna.net/Product_Catalog/plexers.html

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Wow, trip did someone pee in your wheaties today?
I didn't mean to to get you wound.
These ARE the climbing rigs I'm talking about, so check them out and you'll see that they are ansi approved for tower climbing.

Fall Protection Solutions, Harness Systems, Safety Straps - TESSCO.com

I won't debate these things with you, but you know what you know and I know what I know! ;)
I've climbed many towers and never killed anyone, not even myself.
Have a nice day.

n9zas
Nobody pissed in my anything. I'm not sure what you're referencing in that link, but when I'm talking about safety, I'm very passionate about it. That link mentions nothing about body belts being used for FALL PROTECTION. By your own admission, you were up a fscking tower using bungee cords for "fall protection."

Get off the internet and stop advocating behavior that gets people killed. You don't know what you're talking about.

"Have a nice day..." as long as you're alive. 73 my a...

gewecke

Banned
YOU my friend are out of line.

Nobody pissed in my anything. I'm not sure what you're referencing in that link, but when I'm talking about safety, I'm very passionate about it. That link mentions nothing about body belts being used for FALL PROTECTION. By your own admission, you were up a fscking tower using bungee cords for "fall protection."

Get off the internet and stop advocating behavior that gets people killed. You don't know what you're talking about.

"Have a nice day..." as long as you're alive. 73 my a...

I started these gigs when I was 19 and now I have
30+ years in this business without a single accident and THAT proves my competence!
Yeah, in my younger years as a kid climbing towers for fun,and for friends I admit safety was not at the forefront of my mind!
Who are you to tell anyone to get off anything?? Safety is a top priority when I install anything for a customer so you need to check your attitude at the door before you come off on anyone!
Trip you need to worry about your OWN behavior before you preach!

n9zas

K8cpa-chuck

Alright, that's enough!

I did not intend this thread to turn into a debate.

Moderator, close the thread, seeing these two cannot say anything without getting into an idiotic squabble.

Status
Not open for further replies.