• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

I Got An St-2 Scantenna!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979lee

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
367
Location
bakersfield, california
Hi all
well i gut bought a st-2 from solidsignal.com, and i gotta say WOW!!!
What a difference, i used a rs 20-176 sputnik antenna, prior to the st-2 and well, its a POS
compaired, i got a longer cable run with the st-2, and i used the coax that came with the st-2.
the 20-176 i used rg6quad coax. total difference, i cant even hear some distant blm and avation traffic on the 20176 but st2 LOUd and clear.
although the st-2 seems a little lightweight in construction, it's reception is execllent,
i mainly listen to 42mhz vhf low (chp) 154-156 vhf, and 453-460 uhf. and no 800 at all.

i recomend this antenna, and solid signal.com, fast shipping ,even though i paid with a money order., i am in ca, solidsignal is in michagan:lol: :lol: :p :cool:

pic's comming soon

ki6mxl, 73's
 
Last edited:

digitalanalog

Member
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
401
Yes, i agree, the scantenns is awesome, i have one up already and i just bought another one

I am going to mount the new one horizonal, just to see how it works in that position.
 

fredg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
105
Location
East Central Kansas
digitalanalog said:
Yes, i agree, the scantenns is awesome, i have one up already and i just bought another one

I am going to mount the new one horizonal, just to see how it works in that position.
Not sure why you would mount it horizontal, unless you want to hook it up to your TV. The stuff you are trying to receive is transmitting from Vertical antennas so you are best to use a vertical antenna to receive. This was discussed awhile back, here is a blurb I found:

Antenna Polarization:

An antenna is said to be vertically polarized (linear) when its electric field is perpendicular to the Earth's surface. An example of a vertical antenna is a broadcast tower for AM radio or the "whip" antenna on an automobile.

Vertical polarization is most often used when it is desired to radiate a radio signal in all directions such as widely distributed mobile units. Vertical polarization also works well in the suburbs or out in the country, especially where hills are present. As a result, nowadays most two-way Earth to Earth communications in the frequency range above 30 MHz use vertical polarization.

Horizontally polarized (linear) antennas have their electric field parallel to the Earth's surface. Television transmissions in the USA use horizontal polarization.

Some say that horizontal polarization was originally chosen because there was an advantage to not have TV reception interfered with by vertically polarized stations such as mobile radio. Also, man made radio noise is predominantly vertically polarized and the use of horizontal polarization would provide some discrimination against interference from noise.
 
Last edited:

digitalanalog

Member
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
401
fredg said:
Not sure why you would mount it horizontal, unless you want to hook it up to your TV. The stuff you are trying to receive is transmitting from Vertical antennas so you are best to use a vertical antenna to receive. This was discussed awhile back, here is a blurb I found:

Antenna Polarization:

An antenna is said to be vertically polarized (linear) when its electric field is perpendicular to the Earth's surface. An example of a vertical antenna is a broadcast tower for AM radio or the "whip" antenna on an automobile.

Vertical polarization is most often used when it is desired to radiate a radio signal in all directions such as widely distributed mobile units. Vertical polarization also works well in the suburbs or out in the country, especially where hills are present. As a result, nowadays most two-way Earth to Earth communications in the frequency range above 30 MHz use vertical polarization.

Horizontally polarized (linear) antennas have their electric field parallel to the Earth's surface. Television transmissions in the USA use horizontal polarization.

Some say that horizontal polarization was originally chosen because there was an advantage to not have TV reception interfered with by vertically polarized stations such as mobile radio. Also, man made radio noise is predominantly vertically polarized and the use of horizontal polarization would provide some discrimination against interference from noise.
The reason for testing it in this position is because some information can be misleading regaurdless of the facts.

So i will test it and report back to what i find.
If it don't work, that's good enough for me, but
until i try it, i myself will not be satisfied with prior comments that
it will not work.

Testing is part of the hobby, and i am willing to test.
 

fredg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
105
Location
East Central Kansas
digitalanalog, I agree that testing and experimenting is half the fun. I was just pointing out the theory behind antenna polarization. I know from my own experience that if I hold my handheld with the duck nearly horizontal it will pick up weather broadcasts while it gets nothing in the vertical position.

So no offense intended!! Let us know what your testing reveals!! :)
 

tilleyhat

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
61
Location
Montreal
Me too, I just installed my scantenna received from ebay's seller 3 days ago. Amazing antenna for this price. I catch many new trunking/conventional freqs which I never heard before, hundred or more miles from my home.
 

N4GKS

Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
276
Location
Meridianville, Al.
tilleyhat said:
Me too, I just installed my scantenna received from ebay's seller 3 days ago. Amazing antenna for this price. I catch many new trunking/conventional freqs which I never heard before, hundred or more miles from my home.
Not doubting you but picking up trunking more than 50 or so miles is pushing it.
 

fredg

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 23, 2007
Messages
105
Location
East Central Kansas
W4CRT said:
The only thing I don't like about mine is that it is directional. It is not omni-directional as advertised.
The Scantenna becomes somewhat directional when mounted to a metal mast this is because the mast acts as a reflector like in a Yagi antenna. The way to avoid directivity with the Scantenna is to use a non-conductive mast made of wood or PVC.

When I had my Channel Master Monitenna (basicly the same as the Scantenna) I used a wood pole for the last 12 feet or so of my mast and had no directivity issues.
 

tilleyhat

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
61
Location
Montreal
W4CRT said:
Not doubting you but picking up trunking more than 50 or so miles is pushing it.
- Affirmative. I can listen to the trunking motorola type 2 vhf/uhf as far as 176km.
- We do not have much digital trunking like P25 system here in Quebec. And most of them in my close area, I can listen to them clearly, these towers are 60km away from my home.
- very impressive antenna.
 

1979lee

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
367
Location
bakersfield, california
W4CRT said:
I should have got the 20-176 instead. I've had a few and they're smaller and seem like a better antenna.
no you should'dnt have, its just not that good of an antenna, no vhf lo or very good 800 coverage:evil:
Post hijackers:wink: :lol:
 

radiopro52

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
203
Location
North Alabama
The scantenna doesn't even have gain. Imagine if it did! Does the 20-176 have any gain? You would think an antenna with gain would be better, since it has a built-in amp.
 

1979lee

Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
367
Location
bakersfield, california
Ok, this post i started ,was about how i put up a scantenna, well its turned into something else,
also saying that the st-2 dosent have any gain, wtf?? then why iam i receving freqs that i have never been able to get??? no gain HA!

mods please lock or close this thread
:roll:
 
Last edited:

radiopro52

Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
203
Location
North Alabama
1979lee said:
Ok, this post i started ,was about how i put up a scantenna, well its turned into something else,
also saying that the st-2 dosent have any gain, wtf?? then why iam i receving freqs that i have never been able to get??? no gain HA!

mods please lock or close this thread
:roll:
I have been told that it does not. But if you're picking up stations from 100+ miles then it really doesn't matter.
 

Airdorn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
428
The Scantenna rules, period. I've had one for about 4 years now and it's the best antenna of its type, imho.


Just look at this beauty :)
 

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top