I Got An St-2 Scantenna!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

1979lee said:
also saying that the st-2 dosent have any gain, wtf?? then why iam i receving freqs that i have never been able to get??? no gain HA!
Can you point us towards a credible source that claims the Scantenna has gain?

Are you sure you know what gain is?

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Got mine in the attic today... I am noticing a bit better signal strength on most frequencies...Lower on my 800Mhz, but not significantly. At first I was running it through my Channel Master Amp and was getting some noisy channels..After removing the amp, my channels are coming in nice and clear for the most part. At this point, I cannot determine if I am getting any channels I wasn't before (I do think I am getting some HAM/HF I wasn't before), but some of the weaker ones are definitely stronger.

To sum up after a few hrs of use: I am happy with it, but it wasn't near the dramatic difference I was hoping for... Definitely worth the $29 that is for sure.

radiowaves

St-2 Scantenna Coax Type

Hey Group,

Just purchased an St-2 (solidsignal.com) after hearing all the good reviews on this antenna, just had to try one out. Solid Signal was great to do business with, very fast shipping!

Currently using a RS Discone @ 30 feet, so I'll be interested in seeing what the ST-2 can do.

The supplied coax is not long enough , need about 25 feet more and hate to put a F to F barrel between the two, just don't want any extra loss even though it might not matter. I do EME (earth-moon-earth) comms on the side and a dB is a dB :^) Like solid runs and as few connectors as I can get by with.

So I was think about running a solid piece run of RG-6 or LMR-400, have both in stock. Personally if there wasn't a 300 to 75 ohm transformer on the antenna, I'd be putting LMR-400 on it without thinking twice about it. But with that mis-match I would have with the 400, just wonder if I'd be better off with the 75 ohm RG-6? Total Run just 75 feet.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chad
N0YK

radiopro52

andrewccm said:
Got mine in the attic today... I am noticing a bit better signal strength on most frequencies...Lower on my 800Mhz, but not significantly.
The scantenna did worse for you in 800Mhz? What antenna did you have before? I'm thinking of getting an ST2, one of the reasons is to get better reception in 800Mhz.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I see your other post. You used an RS800 before. I guess you can expect an all-band antenna to not do as good in 800Mhz as an antenna that was made specifically for 800MHz. But hopefully the scantenna does better all-around than my 20-176.

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Yeah.. My RS800 sitting in my window with Channel Master Amp gives me about 3x the signal strength on 800mhz compared to ST-2 alone. I now just have a T... Scantenna (in attic) and RS800 on CM Amp sitting in window. Together, I am getting very good coverage and pretty happy with it.

I definitely get P25 signals better with the RS800 FWIW.

I may move it out of my attic and "try" it on the side of my house on the second story. Hopefully, the HOA won't see it. Worth a shot to see if it makes any difference I suppose. I can't put it up higher than the roof line or they'll surely bust me...Any thoughts on whether an outside mounted (side of house) would be any better than the same height mounted in attic?

Last edited:

thekelleys01

Scantenna connections

Can someone that has a scantenna please tell me what kind of connection it has. I am getting ready to buy one but I cant find that information anywhere. Thanks.

hoser147

thekelleys01 said:
Can someone that has a scantenna please tell me what kind of connection it has. I am getting ready to buy one but I cant find that information anywhere. Thanks.
IT comes with RG 6 and has F connectors on it, it also comes with an F to BNC adapter for at your scanner..............Hoser

digitalanalog

radiopro52 said:
The scantenna did worse for you in 800Mhz? What antenna did you have before? I'm thinking of getting an ST2, one of the reasons is to get better reception in 800Mhz.

*EDIT* Nevermind, I see your other post. You used an RS800 before. I guess you can expect an all-band antenna to not do as good in 800Mhz as an antenna that was made specifically for 800MHz. But hopefully the scantenna does better all-around than my 20-176.

What.............?
Scantenna is a ST2

digitalanalog

I posted before that i was going to mount my scantenna horizonal and compare it to the one i have mounted vertical, weather this weekend was not ment to be outside mounting antenna's,so i will try agian this coming weekend and report back.

ridehardny

I ordered mine lastnight. How should I mount it? I've read something about mounting it on a Fiberglass mast instead of metal? What's the diffrence between the 2?

Last edited:

hoser147

Just mount it like it is supposed to be it really makes no difference what you use for a mast I have steel mast and dont have a problem with it at all................Hoser

wutang_0110

W4CRT said:
Not doubting you but picking up trunking more than 50 or so miles is pushing it.
why do think 50 miles or so is pushing it? The receptive range of any antenna is based upon some of these factors:
1. height
2. ground plane orientation (vertical/horizontal polarization)
3. tuning of the antenna
4. location
5. receiver sensitivity
6. atmospheric conditions

that being said i have dx'ed several stations in Illinois from my 25watt yaesu mobile on a 1/4 wave dipole and i live in northeast Indiana! the exact location was 75 miles from my TX site

wutang_0110

ridehardny said:
I ordered mine lastnight. How should I mount it? I've read something about mounting it on a Fiberglass mast instead of metal? What's the diffrence between the 2?
Strength and longevity, price. and

Status
Not open for further replies.