I have a General Radiotelephone Operator License now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioguy37

So does the General Radiotelephone Operator License carry anything toward getting an Amateur License? I also am a CET

Last edited:

n5ims

Not directly, but many of the topics are similar to some of the ham exams (mostly in the Extra Class exam). You'll still need to study for and pass the various ham exams to get your ham license. There are several differences between the GROL and ham license test questions so you're only part of the way there. Don't let that stop you though, you've probably learned the more complex material already.

Radioguy37

Thanks that's what I thought, It would be nice to get some credit tor Radiotelephone license and Certified Electronics Tech. More tests.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The technical part should be fairly easy. What will be different will be the legal questions.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
So does the General Radiotelephone Operator License carry anything toward getting an Amateur License? I also am a CET
Years ago you could get credit for having a Commerciail license especially the Commercial Radiotelegraph code requirements.
Those days are long gone.

If you have a GROL you will find the Amateur trechnical questions familiar.
When I took the Extra exam, I knew all the tech questions just from everyday work knowledge,

But what threw me were the regulatory and band limit questions, there is no rhyme or reason to them,
you just have to memorize them.

For example "in how many days must you reply to a written FCC notice of violation?'
" is a general allowed to operate SSB on 7070KHz?'"

Last edited:
General Radiotelephone Operator License

Boy... does your "GROL" ever bring a smile to my face.

I was issued my "RadioTelephone Operators" ticket (20J6321) way back on Aug 29th 1963.

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

Status
Not open for further replies.