I love grandparents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So my grandmother mentioned that she had a scanner laying around her house. (She lives 14 hours south of myself) She was going about telling me that she couldn't get it programmed, and that several people had tried, though now she doesn't even want to listen to it.

Naturally, (just like any of you other scanheads) she offers it to me. Freakin' Sweet, yeah?

Oh yeah, it comes in the mail and here's what I see....

realistic.jpg

Totally scored a free 2006!
And after playing around on it, I'm in love with it. Coolest base station scanner.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WOW!!!! An oldie but goodie! ;)
Nice score, enjoy!!

n9zas

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
The PRO-2006 was THE KING of scanners

way back then! You could mod it for cell (which doesn't do any good now) and other good modifications. They were all easy to do.
And it's still a great scanner with some of the best sensitivity around. Enjoy what you got there sir.
And you've got a really sweet grandma too!

engine3

Premium Subscriber
with the exception of it not being digital, its still one of the best scanners around
IMO....i have 2 of them running every day

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So my grandmother mentioned that she had a scanner laying around her house. (She lives 14 hours south of myself) She was going about telling me that she couldn't get it programmed, and that several people had tried, though now she doesn't even want to listen to it.

Naturally, (just like any of you other scanheads) she offers it to me. Freakin' Sweet, yeah?

Oh yeah, it comes in the mail and here's what I see....

realistic.jpg

Totally scored a free 2006!
And after playing around on it, I'm in love with it. Coolest base station scanner.

Sweet!! I am still running 4 of those 24/7. One of the best scanners ever made.

Check here for the original Radio Shack ad for that radio, Jump to Page 58.

1991 Radio Shack Catalog

Also, I have the owner's manual, parts list, and service manual in PDF format if you need them. Have fun!!

SCPD

QRT
She actually included the manual (yes, in paper...the kind before the ones on the internet.)

That ad is freaking sweet. It's gonna be running 24/7 now!

SCPD

QRT
Great catch with the Pro 2006. Even though it only a conventional scanner it is still one of the best ever built.

Looking at those RS catalogs take me back down nostalgia lane.

I remember having scanners like the Pro 24, Pro 2009 and Pro 2020.

I still have Pro 2004 and Pro 2006 scanners.

Look at where we are now .. and people complain about the scanners we have today. I think that they need to use some of the old scanners to set things in perspective.

nanZor

It's gonna be running 24/7 now!

I would definitely run it from an external supply to help keep it immortal. :)

At this age, at the very least I'd be tempted to replace the electrolytic capacitors in the internal power supply - or just run an external dc source.

Oh, and dim the display!

Man, did you score big time!

Engine104

Member since 2005
I would definitely run it from an external supply to help keep it immortal. :)

At this age, at the very least I'd be tempted to replace the electrolytic capacitors in the internal power supply - or just run an external dc source.

Oh, and dim the display!

Man, did you score big time!

Right, this radio is usually best run from an external (wall wart/cube) power supply. The internal transformer runs pretty warm and that can't be good for parts over 20 years old.

I've run mine off a wall cube since I bought it in 1992.

Status
Not open for further replies.