I miss the old LAPD on line scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslel

Premium Subscriber
I know it covered a lot of territory, but really liked it, plenty of action. Current LAPD being broadcast is not near as much fun to listen to.

NewSDScanner

What's all the beeping I keep hearing on the LAPD scanner? The periodic and methodical morse-code sounding beeps?

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I know it covered a lot of territory, but really liked it, plenty of action. Current LAPD being broadcast is not near as much fun to listen to.

I'm liking it so far.. its not as annoying to listen to... the other one had way too much traffic in my opinion. This one has the good stuff. And no more morse identifiers and squelch crashes..

What's all the beeping I keep hearing on the LAPD scanner? The periodic and methodical morse-code sounding beeps?

The channel warnings? Which feed are you listening to? I think the OP is talking about the Code 3/Hot Shots Feed and I haven't heard anything but the Code 3 call alert tones. I haven't heard any morse identifiers either so..

Radio_Lady

I'm liking it so far.. its not as annoying to listen to... the other one had way too much traffic in my opinion. This one has the good stuff. And no more morse identifiers and squelch crashes..
Agree 100%. If you just want to hear a lot of "stuff" or be serenaded to sleep by the constant litany of calls it was OK, but no continuity at all. It's hard enough to follow calls in just two or three divisions.

The channel warnings? Which feed are you listening to? I think the OP is talking about the Code 3/Hot Shots Feed and I haven't heard anything but the Code 3 call alert tones. I haven't heard any morse identifiers either so..
If it's the alert tones the OP is talking about, you're right it sounds as though they have eliminated them for Code 2 calls. Priority 1 / Code 3 calls still get three beeps though. With the new consoles the tones don't always go out as crisply as they used to, so sometimes it comes through as two or four tones.

When a unit is being pulled off a low priority call for a higher priority, they call it being "retoned," and the call-taker or RTO transmits a single longer tone, about 2 seconds long, so both the assigned unit and anyone else listening know that things are getting backed up so much that they have to interrupt officers who are in the middle of handling previously assigned calls, hint, hint.

I hadn't noticed it until I read your post, but I'm only occasionally hearing the Morse Code "KJC625" ( -.- .--- -.-. -.... ..--- ..... ) on the online feed. It may just be that the online scanner is on the wrong frequency at the wrong time, as the CW tones go out at what seems like random times on each frequency when the air is quiet. When we went from manual dispatching to CAD in 1983 they also went from "live" announcing of the callsigns every fifteen minutes to an automatically played voice recording of the callsigns, and eventually to the Morse Code identifier.

karldotcom

I don't listen to LAPD as much as I used to...but one thing I don't ever remember hearing before is the caller over the air.... I don't know if they put the caller on speaker, or if the wrong button is being pushed....but I have heard it several times now.... maybe it is to have the officers hear what is going on.... I don't know.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I hadn't noticed it until I read your post, but I'm only occasionally hearing the Morse Code "KJC625" ( -.- .--- -.-. -.... ..--- ..... ) on the online feed.

I think I should listen more often, I haven't heard that yet.

I don't listen to LAPD as much as I used to...but one thing I don't ever remember hearing before is the caller over the air.... I don't know if they put the caller on speaker, or if the wrong button is being pushed....but I have heard it several times now.... maybe it is to have the officers hear what is going on.... I don't know.

That sounds like a problem, I don't think they would broadcast the caller at all, unless they happened to be on speaker phone or something and you could hear it through the dispatchers headset... And the radio console is separate from the phone console so... Even then, call takers are separate from dispatchers. (Where I'm from...)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Morse Code identifier, and caller heard over radio

I think I should listen more often, I haven't heard that yet.
It's transmitted individually on each frequency when nobody is broadcasting, and sounds like this:
http://www.qsl.net/n6uru/kjc625-cw.wav

That's been an intermittent problem on a few of the consoles for a couple years. Apparently it only happens when the operator is staying on the line with a caller - and sometimes with the caller and with OCD - and starts to make the initial radio broadcast. The phone and radio audio are supposed to be muted from each other as soon as he/she starts transmitting, but for some reason it doesn't always work on the affected consoles and the caller's voice (sometimes yelling or screaming) goes out along with the EBO's. They are trying to isolate the specific problem and fix it.

That sounds like a problem, I don't think they would broadcast the caller at all, unless they happened to be on speaker phone or something and you could hear it through the dispatchers headset... And the radio console is separate from the phone console so... Even then, call takers are separate from dispatchers. (Where I'm from...)
They never broadcast the callers intentionally, and LAPD Communications doesn't use speaker-phones. The calltakers (EBOs) and dispatchers (RTOs) sit at separate but essentially identical consoles, and they're all trained and required to alternate between the phone and radio positions regularly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.