i need help setting up my "home base" antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjosephbell

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read all this.

Ok so heres the deal...

I was basically gifted some components to setup a small 'home base' CB radio.

I already have these items and now i need help making them work.. not the best approach, i realize this, but thats why im here!

So.. i got a uniden radio and i had to solder on this "12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads" and get a "Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter" just to power on the unit... (it looks stupid so im very much open to better ideas on this!)

I have a "Cobra HG A 1000 Base-Load Small Mount 100W CB Antenna" ...its a magnet mount with about 20' of coax built right on to the mag base... it looks and feels pretty cheap overall.. im sure its not a very high quality antenna but im completely new to this hobby and i am uninterested in sinking any money into it (at this particular point in time)

i did buy an 18' extension cord, so i can get from my roof to basement and up into the office where the radio will reside, as well as a Lightning Arrestor to easily ground the antenna.

my roof is asphalt shingles and my gutters are aluminum. The fascias, soffits, and rakes are all aluminum too. (my first thought was to magnet the base flat against the side of the house, up in the top corner where the rakes meet on one of the gable ends. Then use some kind of 90 degree fold over attachment between the mag base and screw on antenna so it points straight up... just an idea)

Where should i mount this antenna?
should the coax be run on the exterior of the house or should i snake it down within the walls?
How should i go about grounding it? can i tie a copper ground wire directly into my home electrical ground wire that runs from my panel down into the concrete with the city water main?
The lightning arrestor screws on to the end of the corded magnet mount, so it will be located like 20' from the antenna.. does that matter?

i dont know if it can be tuned but i will get into that once its mounted properly... and before i turn on the radio!

the eventual goal is to relocate this antenna to one of the vehicles down the road and put something bigger on the house... but i have to get this "free" setup functional before the wife will get on board with that... the only reason shes letting me put this thing on the house is cause its so small!

With what you have, keep the antenna inside either on the radio or metal file cabinet by a window. Good luck. Do you have an extra car battery or portable power unit you could use.?

Last edited:

mrkelso

Not much you can really do with that setup. Place the antenna on a metal cookie sheet and put it up on a shelf

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

Do NOT hook up an antenna grounding connection to your household electrical ground.

Proper grounding is a common topic. If you run a quick search, you will find threads about the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.