I need help with my BCT15x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschopper75

I just recieved my very first scanner ever. I don't even know where to begin with it. I did my research on choosing a scanner and found the uniden bearcat BCT15X the best bang for my buck but I have no idea what alot of the functions do. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction on what I need to do. I live in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey which is in morris county. Thanks for all you can provide.

mdickerson17

The best thing to do would be to go thru your manual! It was the same way for me when i got the 246 but after a couple days you'll start figuring everything out!

Highpockets

I just recieved my very first scanner ever. I don't even know where to begin with it. I did my research on choosing a scanner and found the uniden bearcat BCT15X the best bang for my buck but I have no idea what alot of the functions do. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction on what I need to do. I live in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey which is in morris county. Thanks for all you can provide.

The best way to program your scanner is to first become a Premium Subscriber to Radio Reference:

Premium Subscription Information Page

Pick up the programming cable that will allow you to communicate between you computer and your scanner. This will let you import information from RR to your computer, save it and upload it to your scanner using software. The software listed below is free and does an excellent job.

ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!

The frequencies and info for your area can be found here:

Morris County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Also, here is an easier to read manual if you want to try programming it by hand.

http://marksscanners.com/bct15/bct15.shtml#bt scanning

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Press Func -> Vol & Select New Jeresy

Press POL several times Key to Turn on and Off Local Police & Dept of Transportation PL DT

Press HP Key several times To Turn off & on Highway patrol frequencies and Beartracker. Bear tracker is a close call notification for highway patrol frequencies. HP BT

When PL is on all local police frequencies in NJ will be scanned.
When DT is on all DOT Frequencies in NJ will be scanned.
When HP is on all State police frequencies will be scanned
When BT is on all Close Call State Police transmissions might be detected.

Beartracker settings:
Menu -> Set Bear Tracker -> Set Alert -> Set Alert Tone -> Off to Alert 9 -> E/Yes key -> Set Level Auto to Level 15

You can use Freescan to program in Conventional & trunked Systems.

Program in Conventional Systems from the key pad.

Press the Hold/Resume key to place the radio in Hold mode.
Enter in a frequency -> 155.3400
Quick Freq Save?
At this point you have a choice. If you press E/Yes key then the frequency will be saved in the
Qck Save Cnv Sys System in the Qck Save Grp
If you Press ./No Key
You will have to choose a CNV System to put the frequency in.

If you have to program in a Trunked System by the keypad the only short cut is for motorola control channels only, everything else you have to type in. After you program in the frequencies you can use ID Search mode to scan for talkgroup ID's and you can use E/Yes key to save talkgroups to a scan list or use the LO key to lockout talk groups.
For programming trunked systems I strongly recommend you use Freescan & a subscription to radioreference for easier programming.

How to scan 800 MHz Motorola trunked systems without programming them in to the scanner.

Menu -> Search for ... -> Edit Custom -> Custom 10
Edit Srch Limit -> 851.000 -> E/Yes -> 868.9875 -> E/Yes
Set C-Ch Only -> E/Yes -> C-Ch Only Mode -> On

If the systems you are interested in have rebanded then you will have to
set up the Band Plan
Set MOT BandPlan -> Custom -> Band Plan 1 ->Set Base Freq -> 851.0250 -> 854.000
Set Offset 440 -> + Polarity
Set Spacing -> 25.00kHz -> Menu
Band Plan 2 -> Set Base Freq -> 851.0125 -> 868.9875 -> Set Offset -> 0 -> Set Spacing -> 25.00kHz -> Menu -> Hold/Resume Key

Scanning Custom Search Ranges
Func -> Scan/Search Key -> Quick Search? -> NO ./No key -> Custom Search
Use the keys 0-9 to turn on and off custom search ranges Zero key (0) is custom search range 10.

Tip: You can use the LO key to escape from many selections to get back to the main scanner screen.

rasputen246

WoW thanks ac7xc,
While I'm not the OP, I got a LOT from your post on my first BCT15X day of ownership.

Now I gotta get 2 more for the feeds and learn the GPS tricks for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.