i.p. address wont stay put

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
The i.p. address on the computer running two scanners on ProScan keeps changing.. forcing me to update the router in order to continue streaming the feeds.

I have tried "reserving" the i.p. address on my Netgear login LAN settings. But it, (and addresses of other devices I have tried to reserve) keep changing. and yes.. I do hit the "apply" button when I am done reserving the i.p and mac address.

I am running a WNDR3800 wireless router. My scanners are hooked up to a Dell Optiplex running Win XP SP3.
It has a wireless connection to the router.

If I reboot the Dell.. does it change the I.P? In other words... even if i reserve an I.P. for the Dell's MAC address..for example. 10.0.0.2.. could the reboot change it to 10.0.0.7?

P.S. We run a lot of devices on the wireless router.. sometimes as many as sixteen. Could that be a factor?

P.S. P.S. Would this be an issue of the Dell was hard wired to the router instead of through a wireless connection?

Last edited:

RickLeb

If I reboot the Dell.. does it change the I.P? In other words... even if i reserve an I.P. for the Dell's MAC address..for example. 10.0.0.2.. could the reboot change it to 10.0.0.7?

P.S. P.S. Would this be an issue of the Dell was hard wired to the router instead of through a wireless connection?

Address reservation is only used if the PC is configured to use DHCP or dynamic addresses. An address obtained via DHCP should always be the same if it is reserved via it's MAC address. However if the address pool for DHCP addresses is less than the 16 devices that you are using, then the address may have been assigned to another device. Running over a cable would not change the IP address situation, but it might allow for faster connections. With 16 Wi-Fi devices, it sounds like your network may be a little congested.

You can solve this problem very easily by just assigning a static IP address to this particular computer.

I have over 24 devices on my home network, these include PC's, cameras, TV's, Media players, etc. I give them all static addresses so that I know how to connect directly to each one. The only devices that have dynamic addresses are my IPAD and Phones, because these are used in various locations outside my home and they need to be able to adapt to the routers in those locations.

Last edited:

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for responding.. Do I assign static I.P. addresses through the router? Or do I go into each individual device. i.e. slingbox... wife's laptop.. my laptops.. my wireless pc.. and set them on the device itself?

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
The above answer is a good one! I would just add, it should not make a difference whether or not your computer is hard wired or connected via wifi. Double check you dhcp settings. If all settings seem correct, I would disconnect everything that is connected to your router. Delete all of your existing IP reservations, then start one by one reconnecting devices. Connect a device, reserve the IP, connect a device, reserve an IP, etc., etc., until all of the devices you want to reserve are connected. Keep in mind, you don't need to reserve ips for every device that connects. It may also be better to reset the router completely and start from scratch to ensure default settings from the beginning.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
PS. Is there a reason you're not using the router's default subnet for your attached devices? 192.168.1.x? I don't know if that makes a difference for address reservation, I would think it shouldn't, but sometimes those things are fickle.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
Not using default..

I'm glad you asked. My wife decided that the router was the problem and replaced it with a Cisco router over the weekend. The Cisco (Linksys) router switched the i.p from the netgear address to 10.0.0.1. When I switched back to the Netgear router. the Cisco IP stayed. Someone posted that it made no difference, so now i'm on a netgear router with the new address. Is there a good reason to change the i.p. back?

Last edited:

RickLeb

Do I assign static I.P. addresses through the router? Or do I go into each individual device. i.e. slingbox... wife's laptop.. my laptops.. my wireless pc.. and set them on the device itself?

You set the static address on the device itself. You don't need to configure every device in your network, only the devices that need to accessed by an IP address. In this case you go into the network properties of the PC running your streaming software. Of course you need to assign an address which isn't going to be used by any of the devices using DHCP addresses. That is why your router allows you to select a range (or pool) of addresses to be used for DHCP. You would assign static addresses outside of that range. Once a static address is assigned, you can set up port forwarding on your router to allow access to the server from the Internet.

The Cisco (Linksys) router switched the i.p from the netgear address to 10.0.0.1. When I switched back to the Netgear router. the Cisco IP stayed.

That's very unusual. The default address for most residential Lynksys routers is 192.168.1.1. It is 192.168.0.1 for Netgear and D-Link. So unless you have deliberately changed the router's address, or using a commercial grade router, that address doesn't make sense.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
I.P. ROUTER CHANGE

It doesn't make sense to me either. The Cisco is not a commercial grade router.. But for what it's worth. Things seem to be working now. (Until my wife cant access the internet with her I-Pad. then there'll be hell to pay!)

budevans

It doesn't make sense to me either. The Cisco is not a commercial grade router.. But for what it's worth. Things seem to be working now. (Until my wife cant access the internet with her I-Pad. then there'll be hell to pay!)

Mike,

It's quite likely that you will run into an issue with the IP adresses being reassigned. That's what DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) is supposed to do. To minimize the issue you have a couple of choices. The first one is the best for most folks.

1st leave the PC (running ProScan) on 24/7. DHCP will not change the address while it's in use. DHCP has a lease time for IP addresses, so you should be able to reboot or shut the PC down for maintenance for short periods and still keep the assigned IP.

2nd choice, change the DHCP IP lease time. I'd extend the lease time. You should adjust the DHCP lease times on both your router and the connecting devices (PC, iPad, etc..). This isn't something most people know how to do.

3rd choice, turn off DHCP and manually assign a Static IP address for each device. Again do this to all of your devices (PC, IPad, Router). This is also something most people don't know how to do.

You mentioned that when you switched from WiFi to an Ethernet wired connection your PC's IP address changed. That's correct. Each network device gets it's own IP address. If you have an Ethernet (wired) connection and a WiFi both running at the same time, your PC will have two IP's assigned to it. Since wired is considered typically more dependable and faster your PC will use the wired connection (with it's IP).

FYI, 192.168.X.X and 10.X.X.X are both Private (NAT) non routeable network addresses. The only functional difference between the two is the total number of assignable IP addresses. 10.X.X.X has the larger range (254 x 254 x 254 a really huge number) so the 10 range is typically used by businesses. The 192.168 (254 x 254 still a large number) has been adopted for home/personal use.

If you run into IP address issues there are some things that you can try to clear up problems.

First turn off the router and all connected devices. Then bring them back up in the order of connection to the internet. Modem, Router, ProScan PC, other devices.

If that fails to fix your issue, you'll need to flush the IP and DNS cache's for your PC and other devices (iPad, etc..). Then do the ordered reboot again. For instructions on flushing the caches do a Google search for each devices O/S (Windows, IOS).

Last but not least there is one fix that will resolve the IP address issue for your ProScan PC. Contact your internet provider and request 2 Public static IP's. One for your modem and one for your PC. On your Router enable the DMZ and enter the PC's Public static IP. Next enter the Public static IP on your PC. Shutdown and reboot. That should fix it, no more DHCP issues for your ProScan PC.

Hang in there and good luck.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
3rd choice, turn off DHCP and manually assign a Static IP address for each device. Again do this to all of your devices (PC, IPad, Router). This is also something most people don't know how to do.

This is far more work than necessary.

Leave dhcp on but restrict the range of IP addresses that the router can use for dhcp assignments.

Go into your networking on your PC and assign it a static IP address outside of the range that your router is using for dhcp assignments.

Now your server will always have the same address and your other devices will receive their addresses from the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.