• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

i series radios and CPS Version 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

In PD78x it was well working under FW 8.x
It does not under 9.x

The use of monitor function in analog mode is to be able to listen for weak signals. The squelch is switched off, one can hear the FM noise and can listen for weak signals in it. Works still with moto, but not with Hytera 9.x
Kind of very basic function of a radio. Narrow band FM radios have this from beginning of their existence.

Just displaying a loudspeaker, but receiver audio path still blocked makes the monitor function simply inop. One can not listen for weak signals. So the main purpose of the monitor or squelch off is broken. The squelch is still ON and can not be switched OFF. It can be only set to low level (level 2 what ever it means).

The standard function of a monitor or temporaray squelch off is to remove any squelch setting when aktivated, meaning remove any subaudio squelch and also remove any setting of noise squelch so the audio path of the receiver is open.

I have noticed this too. I have a function button programmed for monitor on analog channels and I am unable to hold squelch open when I want to. The most I can do is toggle monitor on and off with the function button (short press). A long press does nothing where it previously held the squelch open when activated. It was working fine with 8.x FW and does not under 9.00.04.605.iM FW. There may be newer FW available since I did this update.

n1das

Analog RX works on all radios and receives fine. It is not a signal RX issue. The analog RX audio has more digital noise in it than before the upgrade. It is something different in the audio processing after the receiver. It manifests itself as a continuous digital whirrrrrrrrrr sound with a bit of a buzz in it. It doesn't render the analog RX unusable, just something I noticed after the upgrade. I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this.

I'm wondering if anybody has noticed more digital noise in the analog receive audio since upgrading from FW 8.x to 9.x in their portables and mobiles.

I had also updated the FW a few months ago in my RD982-U-1 repeater on 440 and found it introduced a digital buzz in the analog audio during the repeater hang time. Sometimes it's loud and annoying and other times it's quiet but still there. The behavior started immediately after the FW update. I don't have the FW version numbers handy at the moment. The analog audio was clean prior to the FW update. The RD982 is my 440 DMR/analog ham repeater at home. It is programmed for DMR/analog mixed mode operation. It is linked on the Brandmeister network. I am thinking of taking analog operation away from it and making it digital only since it's now linked on the BM network.

Has anybody noticed a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz problem in the analog audio after updating FW in an RD982?

ottosykora

It was working fine with 8.x FW and does not under 9.00.04.605.iM FW. There may be newer FW available since I did this update.

So I tried to get infos. Apparently, in the legal dispute with motorola, Hytera was ordered to remove the SQ open function from their products. This is crazy, as I have not seen any fm radios not having this feature before in last 40+ years.
Hytera had to remove the function, so it is currently only switching to some probably lower SQ state, but Hytera gives no infos as what it is doing currently except the SQ off is disabled. (info from Hytera Germany)
This means it is in all versions of 9.x firmware and it will stay so unless M allows them to have SQ off again.

n1das

So I tried to get infos. Apparently, in the legal dispute with motorola, Hytera was ordered to remove the SQ open function from their products. This is crazy, as I have not seen any fm radios not having this feature before in last 40+ years.
Hytera had to remove the function, so it is currently only switching to some probably lower SQ state, but Hytera gives no infos as what it is doing currently except the SQ off is disabled. (info from Hytera Germany)
This means it is in all versions of 9.x firmware and it will stay so unless M allows them to have SQ off again.

Interesting. I agree, being able to hold CSQ wide open isn't anything new. Crazy. It might have been part of code in the firmware for another feature which had to be removed per the settlement with M.

n1das

we have currently RD96x repeaters, we also run them still in mixed mode currently, but I did not notice anything like that.
FW V9.00.10.100

I'll have to check what FW the repeater is currently running. I am not where I can check it right now. The annoying buzzzzzzzz which comes and goes in the analog audio started with the last FW update.

I was in Hytera boot camp in Miramar week before last, forgot to ask engineers about it.
Hard to believe having CSQ is a patent violation, Motorola did not invent it, when I started in 2 way we still had some CSQ clients.

My RD-982 does go into CSQ with a long press of TK1 set for monitor on analog channels and the spkr icon shows up.
A9.00.07.105.iM

n1das

I agree, it's hard to believe that being able to hold CSQ open is a patent violation. You can toggle CSQ monitor function on/off with a short or long press. What went away is the ability to manually hold CSQ wide open. I think the ability to select open/normal/tight CSQ from the menu on a Hytera DMR radio also went away. My gut feeling is it was implemented in a section of code for other features that were involved in patent violations. It was probably easier to take the hold CSQ open feature away with other features which had to go away instead of writing new code to keep open CSQ without the other features. The CSQ features that went away might not have been a patent violation but ended up being a victim of what other changes had to be made.

My two RD982-U-1 repeaters with the annoying buzz in the analog audio are using FW A9.00.08.608.iM. The buzz definitely wasn't there before with 8.x FW. The 9.x FW may have messed with some alignment parameters.

My subscriber units (X1pi, PD982i-Ux) are using FW A9.00.04.605.iM. They are working fine but I've noticed some more digital noise in the analog receive audio that wasn't there with 8.x FW.

Did you see this note in the May 29 tech bulletin?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Repeater: V9.00.10.100.iM
Fixes the noise issue when repeater is working in analog mode
Fixes the issue on statis registration when using AIS for repeater
Fixes B843 message sequence issue when using API for repeater

n1das

I have not seen the May 29 tech bulletin but that is good news!
I am working on getting updated FW.

n1das

I applied this FW update to my RD982 repeaters and it fixed the analog audio noise issue.

The analog audio noise issue manifested itself as a buzz heard on the repeater during the hang time. The last valid frame of audio data was not being flushed out and replaced with a digital representation of silence whenever the audio is muted. The last frame of audio data was being continuously played during the hang time. When a signal was strong into the repeater, i.e., dead full quieting (DFQ), no buzz or a very faint buzz was heard during the hang time. A weak/noisy signal into the repeater would leave an annoyingly loud buzz during the hang time because the last frame of audio data was noisy analog audio. Whatever the last valid frame of audio contained when audio muted, that frame of data was played repeatedly during the hang time. The digital to analog converter (DAC) continuously outputs data and it was repeating the last valid frame of analog audio data instead of outputting empty frames of data during the hang time. The FW update fixed this behavior.

As an experiment to help test my theory, I put a full quieting signal into the repeater using a cheap Chinese radio (CCR). I held down a DTMF digit and then turned power OFF on the radio so the transmitter would un-key without transmitting a reverse burst for squelch tail elimination. A distorted buzzy version of the DTMF tone was heard on the repeater during the hang time. In this case the last valid frame of analog audio data played out during the hang time was the DTMF tone.

The good news is the FW update fixed the analog noise issue.

n1das

BAD repeater FW with the analog audio noise issue: V9.00.08.608.iM
NEW repeater FW which fixes the analog noise issue plus fixes some bugs in digital mode: V9.00.10.100.iM

If you have V9.00.08.608.iM FW in a repeater, I recommend upgrading to V9.00.10.100.iM FW.

hsuanwang

Hello Guys... I have noticed a AIS bug fix above. Does anyone have a guide to setup a AIS? We have tried many times but it always a one-direction call that from DMR to AIS-gateway. Our hytera repeater won't answer any AIS packet from our server. How can we build a two-way AIS connection? Please help us... Thank you!

FYI PD / X1 terminal firmware 9.02.01.005 came out last week. I don't see any change log and didn't notice anything different in CPS after the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.