I think I am done with the Home Patrol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic115

For those who peek at the Indiana forum you will know of my headaches with my HP 1 since rebanding and various other issues, including interference from a new 5ghz router. Also the horrendous sentinel software that does not use excel to edit files. Hell I go back to a pro 2035 with a Opto board and probe 6 using Win 3.1 and that worked for me at the time and it still works.
The latest headache is now it appears the digital section is dead. I can pick up 800 EDACS, 400 LTR but nothing on the APCO P25 systems here.
I have reverted to the 2.03 firmware, I contacted users from Indiana forum for rebanding info. I purchased various antennas to see if that was a problem, no luck. I have spent countless hours going through the files making sure I had every little thing I could find after doing research here in the forums. Still silent on APCO 25, Yes I do travel and my scanner goes with me but I drive and my scanner get packed in with the cotton socks and clean under garments for protection. And no I do not fly. I will try and this repaired so I can sell this as a working unit. But UNIDEN does nothing for support for the customers who spend money for their products.
I have a PRO 97 that is still going strong, and does not do digital but still is working perfect. I could name many other scanners in my collection that still work within their design limits that may of you would have to look at a radio archive to see a picture of.
UNIDEN YOU SUCK
Educate me about Whistler scanners

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
For those who peek at the Indiana forum you will know of my headaches with my HP 1 since rebanding and various other issues, including interference from a new 5ghz router. Also the horrendous sentinel software that does not use excel to edit files.
The Uniden Home Patrol-1 has no problem with "rebanded" systems. I use mine to listen to Indiana Project SAFE-T, which has been rebanded.

As for interference from your router, that sound like a problem you have inflicted on the scanner. Both your router and your scanner are FCC Part 15 compliant products, or should be. Your router should not be emitting signals in excess of what's allowed by Part 15. If your 5 GHz Wi-Fi router is interfering with signals at 850 MHz, then your router is the problem.

Sentinel was never intended to use Excel or any external program to edit the files. There are third party programs available for the HP-1. Look here:

HomePatrol-1 - The RadioReference Wiki

The latest headache is now it appears the digital section is dead. I can pick up 800 EDACS, 400 LTR but nothing on the APCO P25 systems here.
I haven't read your posts in the Indiana forum. Have you used Sentinel to download the latest database from Uniden and then loaded that database into the scanner? What APCO P25 system are you trying to monitor? How far are you from the transmitter site? What kind of antenna are you using?

Educate me about Whistler scanners
Whistler does not manufacture nor sell scanners at this time. Yes, Whistler has reportedly purchased GRE's intellectual property and has announced plans to pick up where GRE left off. But, there are no scanners listed on their web site and we've not seen any Whistler scanners on the market as of yet. That said, the Uniden forum is probably the wrong place to ask about Whistler scanners. You might want to check the GRE forum, but, until we see actual products from Whistler, anything you read about them is speculation. Meanwhile, Uniden is still in business, still manufacturing scanners, and still bringing new scanner products to the market.

JustLou

My issues with the HP aren't as bad as yours, but I also got fed up with mine awhile ago. Poor performance. $100 "upgrades". No fix for the poor 2.04 firmware released almost a year ago, other than downgrading to an earlier version. Can't hear digital systems that my Pro-18 easily picks ups. etc. etc. etc.

tilt404

Just wanted to say I love my GREPSR800. Sad they don't make it anymore, but hope Whistler will bring it back to life in the future. No paid upgrades unlike Uniden. Free RR programming with no need for membership with GRE's software too. No keypad which I thought would be a pain, but turns out I LOVE the interface. So easy to quickly go through the audio recordings on the SD card which I do a lot, since its controls are iPod like.

Medic115

W9BU thanks for your reply and I will try to answer your questions.
I am trying for the Indiana Safe-T apco 25 system and the Ky State apco 25system.
The nearest towers for both systems is about 5 miles away in Henderson Ky. I live in Newburgh Indiana just across the Ohio from Henderson.
As far as antenna I have a RS 800 duck, the stock HP1, four other ducks that I have purchased all are no help. I also have a super snoop and a Omni directional Outside antenna I purchased from Grove. None of them have helped with apco25 reception.
Yes I know Sentinel was no designed to use Excel and I see this as a flaw in that software. Yes I have purchased and used the two major players in scanner software programs, both are great and much better then Sentinel.
After reading the forums here and the problems with the V2,04 firmware I searched for and found the link in RR to revert to V2,03, no help for me.
Oh and for the favorites list of the rebanded Indiana Safe-T I am using the list I obtained from another RR user here who lives near me and his HP1 works fine on Apco 25 systems I listed.
To davdaver1 I am here to document the problems I am having to educate others.
to Ref-Jazzy I would not give you the headaches.

Darth_vader

"Both your router and your scanner are FCC Part 15 compliant products, or should be. Your router should not be emitting signals in excess of what's allowed by Part 15. If your 5 GHz Wi-Fi router is interfering with signals at 850 MHz, then your router is the problem."

<hijack> Some mainstream consumer-grade (read: cheap Chinese throwaway) 802-11 routers can put out extremely dirty RF signals. I once had a Belkin 4490 2.4 GHz/Cat-5 router that would generate harmonics as far down as channel 2 (55-59 MHz) when the 802-11 section was turned on. Assuming standard 5.8 GHz 802-11A, 828.571428 MHz is the centre frequency of the -7th harmonic.

As for part-15 certification, electronics firms will sometimes submit prototypes to the F¢¢ that include adequate shielding, filtering circuitry and whatnot in order to gain certification, then redesign the final production model slightly, omitting these components to cut manufacturing cost. Higher-quality routers are not always immune to this, either. This may be part of the reason why Medic115 is getting interference from his router on 800 MHz. </hijack>

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
.But UNIDEN does nothing for support for the customers who spend money for their products.

If only they had a representative here in the forums day after day answering questions, offering advice and putting up with nonstop abuse (most of the time unwarranted).

Oh wait they do: UPMan.

I would wager UPMan spends more time on here than you, I, or even the site owner.

While I understand your frustration it seems some of your issues have to do with your own monitoring setup (as others have noted).

I do hope you are able to get that router interference squared away because if you thought Unidens were bad dealing with interference just wait until you try a GRE with their notorious sensitive front ends.

I do wish you all the best in getting your problems resolved.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Medic115

Darth_vader
The router I installed is a ASUS RT-AC66R, not a cheap throwaway router.
On your line of thinking I took my HP! to a nearby park on top of a hill and in a 4 mile line of site to a Safe- T tower. I also used a Wi-Fi scanner on my iPhone to check for Wi-Fi at this site, none.
I placed the HP1 on a table away from my Jeep and left my phone in the Jeep.
using a RS 800mhz ducky no Safe-T reception, but the EDACS tower 10 mile away was blowing up the scanner.
Oh and I have moved the router to the lowest level of the house so instead of 20 feet away and two walls away I have a concrete slab and two drywall walls away from the scanner, that helped that interference but still no APCO25 reception.
At one time I loved the ease of use of the HP!, but now I am so frustrated with it I am thinking of using for a target.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh and for the favorites list of the rebanded Indiana Safe-T I am using the list I obtained from another RR user here who lives near me and his HP1 works fine on Apco 25 systems I listed.
You never answered the question as to whether or not you had obtained a current RR database and downloaded it your scanner. If it were me, I'd do a full reset on the scanner and load the current database.

You say you obtained a favorites list from another RR who lives nearby and who has a working HP-1. Were you able to compare your scanner to this other user's scanner side-by-side? When troubleshooting a problem, one must eliminate the variables. Firmware, database, settings, location, and antenna are all variables that you need to wrap your hands around.

And, as Marshall pointed out, Uniden's scanner project manager, they guy who brought the HP-1 to market, is a regular participant in these forums. If you have a question about Uniden scanners, he's the guy to talk to.

Medic115

You never answered the question as to whether or not you had obtained a current RR database and downloaded it your scanner. If it were me, I'd do a full reset on the scanner and load the current database.

You say you obtained a favorites list from another RR who lives nearby and who has a working HP-1. Were you able to compare your scanner to this other user's scanner side-by-side? When troubleshooting a problem, one must eliminate the variables. Firmware, database, settings, location, and antenna are all variables that you need to wrap your hands around.

And, as Marshall pointed out, Uniden's scanner project manager, they guy who brought the HP-1 to market, is a regular participant in these forums. If you have a question about Uniden scanners, he's the guy to talk to.
Sorry W9BU Yes I did the latest RR DB, yes the latest firmware. I did not set my scanner side by side with the other user. He unplugged his from his upstairs antenna to down load his working fav. list. Sorry I did not PLEASE you.

JustLou

If only they had a representative here in the forums day after day answering questions, offering advice and putting up with nonstop abuse (most of the time unwarranted).

Oh wait they do: UPMan.

I would wager UPMan spends more time on here than you, I, or even the site owner.
<snip>

In the 11 months since people started having issues with the firmware 2.04 and posting about it in his firmware thread ( http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/257099-homepatrol-1-v2-04-01-released.html ), he's completely ignored the entire thread other than 1 post in which he suggests adjusting the squelch.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine got an HP-1 for his birthday last week, and sadly, it's doing some of the same things mine was doing that eventually got me so frustrated with it that I got rid of it. For a couple of days, it worked great, then, it lost most of it's sensitivity, on all bands. Signals that were full quieting are hissy, and signals that were hissy but readable are now gone. A reset gets them back, for a while, like 12 hours or so. It seems to be doing fine, the you notice you don't hear much of anything, except the local PD and FDs that have transmitters nearby. Another reset, and it's back. He's taking it back for an exchange and hopefully the new one is ok. I have my doubts it will be.

SCPD

QRT
For those who peek at the Indiana forum you will know of my headaches with my HP 1 since rebanding and various other issues, including interference from a new 5ghz router.

Sounds like the router is the issue.These are radios!The router emits transmissions,did you try moving the router? The homepatrol and ANY new radio with its frequency range will get interference.I have zero issues with my home patrol,I use its antenna.Did you try an outdoor antenna?
All the rebanding and programming in the world aint gonna fix noise.
Butel's ARC patrol allows you to edit stuff,try that.
I use mine so much the paint came off the sides,dropped it,still works.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
oh yeah

Oh yeah, home patrol hates being near MACs and computers too! Keep any computer off.For best results take out any of the new lightbulbs you have around your house too ,or just shut the lights off.
Think about why,the computer has a 400MHZ Bus example, or processor,this makes noise too.Digital hash ,it sounds like shhhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.