I was bitten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3cfc

Silent Key
It already has become expensive! I wish I saw this before I ordered a power supply! Ordered an astron 20 amp. Doh! Had great reviews though. It looks gigantic though. Is it ok to install the dipole in attic? My attic is gigantic and tall. Maybe 35 feet high 12 feet tall up there and space 70 feet wide.

All of the power supplies a have i bought at flea markets,yard sales or were given to me because they didn't work. Astron's live by their name alone but do have their share of problems. i have several and do all of the suggested mods to them.

K3CFC

JeramyJ

Premium Subscriber
If you are crafty look at these links.

Open Stub J-Pole Project – Completed (Many times) « NT1K – Welcome

Emergency Amateur Radio Club - Hawaii - Homebrew Projects

I built the 20 meter works great and today i will build the open stub J-pole.

The Open J pole looks great and that 20 Meter is awesome! What a tiny package.

Thanks. The Astron arrived first it appears! :)

An Attic Coaxial-Cable Trap Dipole for 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, and 80 Meters
An Attic Coaxial-Cable Trap Dipole for 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, and 80

nice little HF antenna. as for that magnum stay away from the cb junk spend the extra money and get a good used HF rig. like a TS-450

Not sure why you are bothering with a 6,2,440 triband antenna. if anything pick up a GP-9 or something for 2,440

Also on VHF/UHF dont go cheap on the feedline. get some good hardline (heliax) its worth the extra money.

also get a MFJ-269 they are worth it.

Also dont stop at the tech license. go for General. sure tech isnt bad but shoot for general its not that hard. with a little study you should be able to walk out a Gen.

Wow. That Coaxial trap antenna is intriguing. The GP 9 antenna is tall but may just fit in the attic if it would work there!

I will obtain the MFJ-269 as well as likely pursue the General license. Thanks for the link.

k3cfc

Silent Key
I built the 20 meter and because there was nasty weather i just strung it across my cellar and listened to two guys one in flag staff Arizona and the other i am not sure where he was for an hour and it wasn't tuned yet. it does show promise.

K3CFC

JeramyJ

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I am currently in the planning stages of an antenna install. I plan on building or buying a broad range dipole for 10, 20, 60 meters etc as well as either a Diamond of the GP9 I mentioned. So, I need two lines running from attic to wherever. (Setting up in the theater room closet I believe as it will be nice and quiet!)

Two questions arise.
1: Is there a problem running the radio where I also have a wireless router installed in the same room? Likely will not use the other stereo components at the same time as the radio of course though. Problem?

2: If I was to run a coax line to the closet would it diminish the signal if I was to install a terminal in the wall where the coax is attached to either side? Like a dual panel so that I can just attach a coax line when I need to or should I just have a long wire end there coiled up so that I might pull the radio out into the theater room when necessary?

NT1K

Thanks for the link to my site about the J-Pole.

I have my router near the radio. On HF it's no biggie but I get some issues on 2M with the cheapo HT's that I have. They don't have the best image rejection so I can hear the data that comes out of the WiFi.

Length of coax all depends on the type of coax your using and the frequency you want to listen and/or transmit on. Once again, for HF it's no biggie but as you get up into UHF (300Mhz and up) the length and connections matter. Combining velocity factor and the quality of connects, you could suffer from signal loss on UHF. It's best to keep your coax as short as possible.

NT1K (ex N1BMX)

Status
Not open for further replies.