• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-4008M ISR problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
My Civil Air Patrol squadron has some IC-4008M ISR’s that we use occasionally, and will be using soon. The problem is, a few of them have broken antennas. The part that rotated up and swivels back down is still on the radios, but the antenna itself is missing (broken off I guess). My question is, could I find replacement antennas for these radios? Also, one of them had a speaker that seems broken. Anytime another radio transmits, it buzzes and no voice comes through the speaker. Anyone know how to fix either issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hey guys,
My Civil Air Patrol squadron has some IC-4008M ISR’s that we use occasionally, and will be using soon. The problem is, a few of them have broken antennas. The part that rotated up and swivels back down is still on the radios, but the antenna itself is missing (broken off I guess). My question is, could I find replacement antennas for these radios? Also, one of them had a speaker that seems broken. Anytime another radio transmits, it buzzes and no voice comes through the speaker. Anyone know how to fix either issue?

Did you try calling ICOM ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
iCom doesn’t support this model anymore, and doesn’t even offer accessories. I could try calling them, but I wanted to check and see if anyone knew of a simple fix for the antennas and speaker, or if there was a place I can buy parts for them.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You could try soldering the antenna back together if you have the pieces. It was never clear to me ( I have three of them) if the antenna was just a stub or a helical inside. I guess you could always cannibalize parts from one radio to others.

There are some helical antennas sold for 433 MHz and 318 MHz ISM band radios by Digikey and others. You might find something that will solder to the swivel and work.

They are pretty nice little radios worthy of repair. You should expect to have to tweak the reference oscillator for the TX to be on freq after these many years.
iCom doesn’t support this model anymore, and doesn’t even offer accessories. I could try calling them, but I wanted to check and see if anyone knew of a simple fix for the antennas and speaker, or if there was a place I can buy parts for them.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
58b546b09f66a81fc53568ade23ed50b.jpg

(Personally owned ISR)
This is a rough diagram of how the antenna (outlined in red) slides in to the base. The ISR’s back at my squadron are missing the long piece of the antenna, but the base (outlined in blue) is perfectly intact. I will look at those antennas you mentioned and hopefully can find a solution.

12dbsinad

Try calling Icom Parts. Even though the unit is NLA, Icom does provide parts for several years typically. Remember, it's Icom, not Motorola :)

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Try calling Icom Parts. Even though the unit is NLA, Icom does provide parts for several years typically. Remember, it's Icom, not Motorola :)

Ah yes, I am used to the /\/\otorola red tape...I hope it will be relatively easy to get parts for those things. Thanks!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Hey guys,

It's my understanding that the ISR's are no longer supported by the NTC (or ICOM, for that matter). However, you might check with your squadron or group comm officer, or even your Wing Director of Communications. Many squadrons have turned in their ISR's (or still have some but never use them) or you may be able to use other broken ones as a source for parts.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that the ISR's are no longer supported by the NTC (or ICOM, for that matter). However, you might check with your squadron or group comm officer, or even your Wing Director of Communications. Many squadrons have turned in their ISR's (or still have some but never use them) or you may be able to use other broken ones as a source for parts.

I would ask the comms officer for my squadron, but I don’t think it would help...I had to explain to him the other day that a EF Johnson or Motorola VHF radio would not talk on the aircraft VHF band. So he doesn’t have much knowledge about radios in general. The wing director of communications is so hard to reach that not even the IC for a mission we had recently could reach him, whether by phone, radio, email, or anything. NTC wants us to turn them in, but we are absolutely not going to unless they come and take them themselves. I think they will be good parts radios like you said, or I can see if I can see if I can rebuild the antennas like RFI-EMI-GUY mentioned.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
NTC wants us to turn them in, but we are absolutely not going to unless they come and take them themselves.

Is the NTC offering something else, to replace the ISRs turned in? If so, why are the replacements not wanted? If not, try asking.

Sent using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Is the NTC offering something else, to replace the ISRs turned in? If so, why are the replacements not wanted? If not, try asking.

Sent using Tapatalk

They aren’t offering a dang thing for replacements. I heard it was some BS about saving money even though it isn’t costing them a dime to keep them at the squadrons. The only money spent on ISR’s is for batteries. They said they are going replace the ISR’s with more VHF portables, even though they cost 10x more. I swear I think NHQ is losing its mind sometimes. I will try calling them anyway though, and seeing if they can help.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
They aren’t offering a dang thing for replacements. They said they are going to replace the ISR’s with more VHF portables, even though they cost 10x more.

I think it was last year that NHQ announced a new purchase contract for Motorola APX radios. Once the new Motorola radios are in place (which might take a few years, depending on availability), I expect that the current EFJ handhelds will be the intended "replacements" for the ISR's.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I think it was last year that NHQ announced a new purchase contract for Motorola APX radios. Once the new Motorola radios are in place (which might take a few years, depending on availability), I expect that the current EFJ handhelds will be the intended "replacements" for the ISR's.

That is correct. APX4500 and SRX2200‘s to be exact. I think you are right about the EFJ’s becoming the replacements, but I got to say they are some big, heavy replacements!

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
I am in SC, and friends with one of the Wing Comms guys who actually knows what he's talking about. I will reach out to him tomorrow about the ISRs.

I am looking at joining the Lexington Composite Squadron and have an engineering and comms background as well - so maybe I'll run into you personally.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I am in SC, and friends with one of the Wing Comms guys who actually knows what he's talking about. I will reach out to him tomorrow about the ISRs.

I am looking at joining the Lexington Composite Squadron and have an engineering and comms background as well - so maybe I'll run into you personally.

I would appreciate that, and I am a cadet in the Columbia Composite Squadron. We need people who know what they are doing. I can name some names of folks in SCWG CAP that do a great job at comms, and some who don’t. It just comes with the territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.