IC-R30 pre-release information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air490

This document is floating around Twitter courtesy of some Japanese users. I can't speak to it's veracity, but it is interesting.

And to get in front of all the Icom and DMR comments... Icom don't use DMR in their commercial products so it is highly unlikely they will put it in a receiver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 4,375

billybob

Premium Subscriber
ICOM IC-R30

This flyer came out on QRZ a few months back. The interesting thing about this picture is the button printing matches the radio thet was displayed at the amature radio convention in Dayton Ohio. If you look at the white print on the top 4 buttons you will see they dont match with the common photos. I hope this radio is being delayed to ad more digital modes.

Air490

From the look of the antenna base I would say it was a BNC.

The printing on the buttons around the 4 way selector doesn't match the original mock up shown in Tokyo, but appears to be the same as the units that have been displayed more recently..

What additional digital modes did you have in mind?

ka1njl

DSP?

I realize that we don't know much about this radio but does anyone know if it uses dsp? I'd like to think that it is more than an incremental update to the r20. Especially after this way too long period of silence from Icom.

ka1njl

Vaporware?

Sadly it is looking like this radio may never materialize. There has been precious little information about it since it was previewed a year ago. I would love to have a digitally capable, broad band hand held receiver so I had high hopes for this one. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it may appear but for now I am not particularly optimistic.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The ARRL New England Convention is coming up September 8th and Icom is exhibiting. I am planning on asking about the R-8600 IQ Driver and the IC-R30 if there is no news by then.

73 Eric

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The IC-R30 looks more like a cellphone than a radio. Even the new IC-R8600 looks more like a home component stereo system than a professional receiver.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the military/business look of the older Icom equipment than what they're producing today.

But then I also prefer women that look like women, rather than the ones with purple brush cuts too! :wink:

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The ARRL New England Convention is coming up September 8th and Icom is exhibiting. I am planning on asking about the R-8600 IQ Driver and the IC-R30 if there is no news by then.

73 Eric

Please ask them about the software also .

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Ah, never mind it is the 8th 9th and 10th.
Hello,

The 8th is mainly classes and some evening kickoff events. The main part is over the weekend, unlike NEARFest where Friday is the day to go.

It will be interesting to see what ICOM uses in the R30 as there are size and power consumption limits compared to the R8600. Several of my DMR radios use a processor chip with both a CPU and a DSP with demodulation being done in the DSP.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.