IC-R30 release date

Status
Not open for further replies.

mule1075

Feed Provider
If this doesn't have NXDN out of the box then ICOM should be ashamed -- and buyers should return the scanner until it does.... IMHO.

As stated above NXDN supported if does not come with it out of the box then so be it. They have nothing to be ashamed of. If buyers want to return it they have that option.

ka1njl

In Stock

The Ham Radio Outlet's website indicates that they have them in stock in Anaheim, CA, Atlanta, GA, Salem, NH, Woodbridge, VA, Oakland, CA and Milwaukee, WI with low stock in San Diego, CA. If anyone gets one please post an image of it in your hand. I would like to get an idea of the size.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
San Diego HRO had 2 R30's until this morning

Attachments

• Photo Editor-20180522_152201.jpg
    Photo Editor-20180522_152201.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 857

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Bought the IC-R30 yesterday from HRO Anaheim. Said I would wait, but pulled the trigger. Just exploring the features of the radio. Hooked up to a 15 foot wire and my AOR LA-400 loop, does really well on MW and SW. Listening to lot of Asian DX on CW on 40 last night with the loop inside my house next to window. Air band quite sensitive. P25 quality on LAPD channels pretty good. I do see the NXDN in menu but so far unable to hear any of the LA Metro system. WIll do more testing in next few days.
A nice feature is the 3 steps of attenuation, which really helps to prevent AM and FM overload, allowing for better reception of AM/FM DX signals with radio. Also tried out the Bluetooth during a walk and worked very well. Not enough experience yet to know if Bluetooth affecting any VHF/UHF sensitivity. Waiting for some software to program the radio.
My first impressions are that this is a better radio than the IC-R20, which I have two, and which are themselves quite good as all-band handhelds.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this Steve. I’ve had I a few R20’s. Loved them but always sold them to move on to something else. It’s a disease.
I’m thrilled to see that Icom has decided to move away from the whacky, proprietary recording format in favor of .wav file. I know there was a work around for the R20, but it was cumbersome at best.
Have you made any recordings?
John

Bought the IC-R30 yesterday from HRO Anaheim. Said I would wait, but pulled the trigger. Just exploring the features of the radio. Hooked up to a 15 foot wire and my AOR LA-400 loop, does really well on MW and SW. Listening to lot of Asian DX on CW on 40 last night with the loop inside my house next to window. Air band quite sensitive. P25 quality on LAPD channels pretty good. I do see the NXDN in menu but so far unable to hear any of the LA Metro system. WIll do more testing in next few days.
A nice feature is the 3 steps of attenuation, which really helps to prevent AM and FM overload, allowing for better reception of AM/FM DX signals with radio. Also tried out the Bluetooth during a walk and worked very well. Not enough experience yet to know if Bluetooth affecting any VHF/UHF sensitivity. Waiting for some software to program the radio.
My first impressions are that this is a better radio than the IC-R20, which I have two, and which are themselves quite good as all-band handhelds.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber

On my Icom R8600 when listening to NXDN
I use NXDN-N and not nxdn-vn

It works perfect that way.

ka1njl

Performance?

Now that some of you have the radio, what do you think of its performance? I know sshermanmd reported that it receives well on MW and CW but how is the scan speed for vhf/uhf frequencies? (i.e. can it replace one of my other scanners?) How is it on the broadcast bands? The air band? How is battery life? I have an Alinco DJ-X2000 that is a great radio in many respects but it cannot receive anything digital so I need a replacement.

racingfan360

On my Icom R8600 when listening to NXDN
I use NXDN-N and not nxdn-vn

It works perfect that way.

Can anyone confirm NXDN-N is Narrow i.e. decodes NXDN9600 12.5khz BW, and -VN is very narrow i.e. NXDN4800 6.25khz BW please?

racin06

There seems to be a lot of NXDN drama on RR. Seriously? You guys seem to think that NXDN is going to take over the world! Take a deep breath...there you go.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Been using new IC-R30 this weekend. Good VHF/UHF sensitivity and P25 LAPD good. Been trying to monitor LA Metro Red, Blue, Gold, and Green Line NXDN. My 436 and 536HP picking up these NXDN channels fine. However, have not heard one NXDN channel on R30. Been trying NXDN-N and NXDN-VN without a peep. Have stations entered in memory with proper RAN codes for each, but nothing. Will keep on trying.

Hit_Factor

Dr Steve,

Were did you buy the IC-R30? I have paid for one throuh gigaparts, but it hasn't shipped yet. According to the advertisement it could ship as early as this week or 2 more weeks.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Universal Radio said all of there orders would be shipped by the 25th, but I’ve not received any notification yet. Holiday weekend may have delayed things, but not my impatience!

Dr Steve,

Were did you buy the IC-R30? I have paid for one throuh gigaparts, but it hasn't shipped yet. According to the advertisement it could ship as early as this week or 2 more weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.