IC-R5 Antenna Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerF18

Hello,

Newbie to the site, joined a few minutes ago. I have a IC-R5 receiver(have had since 2005), LOVE IT!! Have a question, what antenna options are there for the scanner? I listen to a lot of Air Traffic(Airports, MIL Traffic/Bases, I guess anything Aviation). Frequencies from what I can remember are 100-400/500 Mhz.....example my local airport is 119.600 and going to an airshow some of the Demo Teams have freq's 3/4/500 Mhz. What are my options to get some distance out of the scanner....20-30 miles or even further if possible. Have been having a lot of MIL air traffic and refueling tankers around the area and want to bring their channel in a little better. I also would like it portable to carry with and be able to use indoors during the winter time.

I am ok with something that con either attach or can be set somewhere, like a table or dresser when indoors.

Hope this all makes sense, very excited to see what is available. And sorry in advance if this has been discussed.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the site- the best information is available here.

As far as an antenna for the IC-R5 since it has an SMA connector to attach the antenna you will either need a compatible antenna or an adapter to go to a BNC connector then you could attach a cable to another antenna but be careful- an external antenna may overload the front end components of your radio. It was designed to be a handheld unit with a matching handheld antenna.

There are a lot of choices for frequency specific antennas out there and most people own several depending on their needs.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have the R6, and I highly recommend the Diamond SRH77CA. I've had it for years; it's my go-to antenna for the R6. I listen to VHF and UHF airband, both civilian and military air. But it does great on every other band on the radio (400 MHz public safety, ham, you name it). In fact I also use it on my VX-8R HT for transmit.

Hope this helps.

ChargerF18

Thanks for the help! I'll look into the antenna mentioned! Any other info or tips you guys have, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N8IAA

Hello,

Newbie to the site, joined a few minutes ago. I have a IC-R5 receiver(have had since 2005), LOVE IT!! Have a question, what antenna options are there for the scanner? I listen to a lot of Air Traffic(Airports, MIL Traffic/Bases, I guess anything Aviation). Frequencies from what I can remember are 100-400/500 Mhz.....example my local airport is 119.600 and going to an airshow some of the Demo Teams have freq's 3/4/500 Mhz. What are my options to get some distance out of the scanner....20-30 miles or even further if possible. Have been having a lot of MIL air traffic and refueling tankers around the area and want to bring their channel in a little better. I also would like it portable to carry with and be able to use indoors during the winter time.

I am ok with something that con either attach or can be set somewhere, like a table or dresser when indoors.

Hope this all makes sense, very excited to see what is available. And sorry in advance if this has been discussed.

What specifically are you trying to hear 20-30 miles away? Remember, you will hear planes in flight better than trying to hear airports. I personally use a dual band ham antenna. Have for years. The HT antenna suggested is a good idea. Magmounts are what I use for larger antennas. They are mounted to file cabinets in the shack. Cookie sheets make great ground planes.
Larry

ChargerF18

What I'm trying to listen to is MIL air traffic in flight.....there has been a lot of Tanker operations happening around the area. Could I use a dual band antenna on a portable handheld and would even benefit me?

N8IAA

What I'm trying to listen to is MIL air traffic in flight.....there has been a lot of Tanker operations happening around the area. Could I use a dual band antenna on a portable handheld and would even benefit me?

Absolutely! I used to use one of the dual band antennas I had for ham on my now long gone Alinco DJ-X10 from 17 years ago. It used to be fed into a yahoo group via the PC on 9/11 and after. Worked great. You just need something that will hear the signals.
Larry

ChargerF18

Awesome, what do I need or what should I get for a dual band? I'm new at all this, thanks.

Air490

The Diamond SRH77CA is a multi band amateur antenna. It is just the type of antenna that has been suggested. You could also look at the airband antennas from Diamond, Comet, Maldol and Watson. They are all good for airband use, although they don't offer a major improvement over the the SRH77CA. I have also found the Maldol/Comet AS-30 to be good for airband use.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Another suggestion, if you want something that's lighter in weight and more streamlined than the Diamond RH77, is the Comet HT-55. It's a "rat tail" antenna with an SMA connection, so no adapters are needed to use it with your Icom R5. It has great reception on the airbands (both civilian VHF and military UHF). Runs about $30 and is easy to carry around.

Been using one here on an Icom R6 over the last couple of years, and it's my go-to antenna for that receiver now. Really pulls in the aviation traffic, and works very well on other bands, too.

ChargerF18

Another suggestion, if you want something that's lighter in weight and more streamlined than the Diamond RH77, is the Comet HT-55. It's a "rat tail" antenna with an SMA connection, so no adapters are needed to use it with your Icom R5. It has great reception on the airbands (both civilian VHF and military UHF). Runs about $30 and is easy to carry around.

Been using one here on an Icom R6 over the last couple of years, and it's my go-to antenna for that receiver now. Really pulls in the aviation traffic, and works very well on other bands, too.

Curious, if you or anyone for that matter have used both, the Diamond RH77 and the HT-55...I have a Diamond RH77 now and love it so far....is there advantages from one vs the other? Which one works better indoors? During the winter in WI I won't be able to take it outside and hang out like the spring, summer and fall. Thanks for the option and the price is nice also.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
The RH-77 is the BNC version of the SRH-77 (SMA Mount). The RH-77is my main go-to antenna for my scanning, whether its aviation,police, etc. I take my BC-396T up to Oshkosh every year in fact. It should work well with WISCOM for you too.

ChargerF18

Hey everyone, reading a little on the SRH-789...any pros and cons vs the SRH-77CA.....it says that is a multi band antenna also??

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have the SRH-789, and I'm not a fan of it. It's a multiband telescoping whip. You adjust the length of the antenna for the band that you want. But honestly, it doesn't outperform the SRH77CA on receive. I think the multiband aspect is more important for transmit.

Here's the weak spot: it has an adjustable base that lets you pivot the antenna. So for example, you could lay your radio flat and angle the antenna up at a 90 degree angle. There's a small set screw that provides friction to keep the swivel in place. The only problem is the screw doesn't stay tight, especially when the antenna is fully extended. So the antenna can be positioned straight, but it will slowly and eventually flop over if, say, you're walking around with your handheld. I tighten the screw, but it only loosens up again. If the antenna is stationary, then it seems to hold its position. It would be fine for a scanner that is set on a table and doesn't move.

Bottom line...it's a decent performer, but not spectacular. And the above flaw is annoying. I hardly ever use mine, and it could use a good home.

ChargerF18

I have the SRH-789, and I'm not a fan of it. It's a multiband telescoping whip. You adjust the length of the antenna for the band that you want. But honestly, it doesn't outperform the SRH77CA on receive. I think the multiband aspect is more important for transmit.

Here's the weak spot: it has an adjustable base that lets you pivot the antenna. So for example, you could lay your radio flat and angle the antenna up at a 90 degree angle. There's a small set screw that provides friction to keep the swivel in place. The only problem is the screw doesn't stay tight, especially when the antenna is fully extended. So the antenna can be positioned straight, but it will slowly and eventually flop over if, say, you're walking around with your handheld. I tighten the screw, but it only loosens up again. If the antenna is stationary, then it seems to hold its position. It would be fine for a scanner that is set on a table and doesn't move.

Bottom line...it's a decent performer, but not spectacular. And the above flaw is annoying. I hardly ever use mine, and it could use a good home.

Thanks for reply, if you were to part with it, how much are you willing to sell it for?

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Curious, if you or anyone for that matter have used both, the Diamond RH77 and the HT-55...I have a Diamond RH77 now and love it so far....is there advantages from one vs the other? Which one works better indoors? During the winter in WI I won't be able to take it outside and hang out like the spring, summer and fall. Thanks for the option and the price is nice also.

I have both the Comet HT-55 and the Diamond RH77. Both are really great performers, and both work well indoors. On a small radio like the Icom R2 / R5 / R6 series, the HT-55 choice just makes it a little less top-heavy.

I don't think that one versus the other is going to have a huge difference in reception, it's more about ergonomics and portability.

Of course, as a scanner buff, you will probably wind up with both at some point anyway, along with lots of other antennae. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.