ICF-SW7600GR Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireArcherIIc

I have the Sony SW7600 shortwave receiver and an external antenna that I would like to connect. However, when I connect the antenna to the jack, the radio cuts out and very little sound is played. I can have a station on the internal and telescoping antenna, and when I plug in the external antenna, I lose the station. I have double checked the external antenna connector, and the wiring is good. The antenna is a random length dipole. Even local stations drop out. I opened the case, and tried to test the antenna jack. I am using a stereo male jack. When I connect the external antenna and use a continuity tester, the ground and second contacts have continuity to the circuit board, but the tip does not. Should the tip have continuity, and to what? I have the online repair manual, with circuit diagram and board diagram, but I am a novice at electronics. Thanks for the help in advance.

Matthew
KC2KEI

MarkWestin

I have the predecessor to your radio. I haven't used the external antenna jack yet, but I think I know what your problem is. You are using a stereo plug for your antenna connection. The Antenna jack isn't a stereo jack. That is not to say that you can't get your plug to work. You need the TIP to be your antenna signal and the RING to be your antenna shield (or ground). The third contact, the short ring, could be either not connected or could be connected to the RING (or ground).

Hope this helps.

Mark

baltokid1

Premium Subscriber
Before you rack your brain any longer page 35 of the ICFSW7600GR manual says you have to use a Sony
brand antenna as the external antenna jack also supplies DC voltage to the Sony brand antenna. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.