icom 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungchin

icom r75

hey guys who monitor shortwave radio with icom r75 go to the site: primetimeshortwave.com on yahoo and you will find alot of updated shortwave frequencies in america and around the world.just passing it on!

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ICOM R75 30 MHz to 50 MHz??????

I bought an R75 in the early nineties to monitor low band stuff & could never receive anything between 30 MHz & 50 MHz no matter what antenna I used, I called ICOM sales & was told that the radio could receive continuous between 1 MHz to 60 MHz with an outside antenna so I called tech support & was advised that the radio had a reception gap between 30 MHz to 50 MHz & 54 MHz to 60 MHz set by the factory which they said is clearly detailed in their sales brochure, I guess they kinda forgot to mention that when they were selling it.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I bought an R75 in the early nineties & could never receive anything between 30 MHz & 50 MHz no matter what antenna I used, I called ICOM tech support & was advised that the radio had a reception gap between 30 MHz & 50 MHz & 54 MHz to 60 MHz set by the factory, I guess they kinda forgot to mention that when they were selling it.

According to Icom, those coverage specs you were given are for units marketed in Denmark only. (Owners Manual, pg 38)

Asian versions are 0.03-29.999999 MHz

USA versions are 0.03-60 MHz continuous, and are certainly useable in the 30-60 MHz range (see post 15 in this thread).

The radio's performance specifications (sensitivity, selectivity, stability, etc.) are guaranteed 0.1–29.99 MHz and 50–54 MHz.

Last edited:

ridgescan

I bought an R75 in the early nineties to monitor low band stuff & could never receive anything between 30 MHz & 50 MHz no matter what antenna I used, I called ICOM sales & was told that the radio could receive continuous between 1 MHz to 60 MHz with an outside antenna so I called tech support & was advised that the radio had a reception gap between 30 MHz to 50 MHz & 54 MHz to 60 MHz set by the factory which they said is clearly detailed in their sales brochure, I guess they kinda forgot to mention that when they were selling it.
Sorry but these things you state aren't true at least with mine, and this is the first I've ever heard this. Can you give us an idea of your antenna situation-what type you run, the environment it runs within, how high it is, wheter you grounded it or not, if you live in a valley etc.

To yungchin-you can PM me and I will be happy to walk you through the other features of your rig like SSB and all the filters etc. Let me know if you want this help.

haleve

Banned
R75

I was living in Osceola County, Florida, level ground, the R75 was fed with 40' of LMR-400 coax into an Astron-99 fiberglass antenna on the top of a 30' Rohn tower fully grounded meeting NEMA specs, never a problem with HF or 6 meters just nothing on low band that my other receivers & scanners would pick up.

ridgescan

I was living in Osceola County, Florida, level ground, the R75 was fed with 40' of LMR-400 coax into an Astron-99 fiberglass antenna on the top of a 30' Rohn tower fully grounded meeting NEMA specs, never a problem with HF or 6 meters just nothing on low band that my other receivers & scanners would pick up.
Wow no doubt a bad rig then:(

bigblue2

Banned

I believe that ICOM remains true to their word. When it assures us, "30khz-60 Mhz", they are notorious for keeping them. Yesterday I tried 276 khz Quebec, I heard CW. Now I am listening to 9.625 Mhz, CBC Northern Quebec, loud and clear. But my antenna is all over my apartment ceiling about 150 feet taped around my apartment ceiling and 20 feet protruding outside. But I haven't tried more than 30 mhz since I am an avid fan of longwave and medium high frequency.

haleve

Banned
R75 30 MHz To 50 MHz???????

I'm not here to dispute anybodys claims, just stating what I know from my own personal experience, I too know Icom produces quality products & is very good at their word & my numerous purchases of Icom products proves it, IC-R8500, IC-R75, IC-A6, IC M804, IC M604 & the IC R1 but when Icom sales & marketing tells me one thing & tech support tells me something else & quotes the sales & marketings own brochure to state their case then I have to go with tech support since they really have no vested interest in sales, maybe my particular rig was defective but it's a moot point now, take care gents.

bigblue2

Banned
I apologize. As I had said, I haven't tried 30-50 mhz because I do longwave and mediumwave. But given a shortwave radio station frequency at a designated time would cause me to try that radio station. I haven't. Maybe I just felt defensive given that I own an ICOM R-75. Happy New Year!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I apologize. As I had said, I haven't tried 30-50 mhz because I do longwave and mediumwave. But given a shortwave radio station frequency at a designated time would cause me to try that radio station. I haven't. Maybe I just felt defensive given that I own an ICOM R-75. Happy New Year!

As stated by fsdxcon, Icom does only certify the R75 specs from 0.100 kHz to 30.000 MHz and 50 to 54 MHz. The range from 30 to 50 MHz and 54 to 60 is not certified to meet the specs but from my experience, it is darn close to the claimed specs for the ranges they do certify.
Right now I'm listening to a signal out of Washington State on 33.420 and it is just as clean as my Icom R9000 hears it.
I have noticed a slight reduction in sensitivity around our state patrol's frequencies in the 42 MHz area but it is very minimal.
I used to swear by my R-71A but I find the R75 much more enjoyable now. It definitely does a better job at VLF NDB beacons and AM (MW) reception over my R71A and that is with the proper filter fitted in the R71A for AM broadcast reception. The R71A is still used daily though!

yungchin

icom r75

well trap5858, i think im gonna hang-on to that icom r75 even though i know very little about the radio. everybody i've come across have told me to hang-on to that icom r75. but thanks for the offer!

yungchin

icom r75

well kruser thats all i have heard about the icom r75 that its good communcation receiver! i have not heard anybody yet say bad things about that radio. and alot of guys wants a icom r75 from what im hearing and the people i've talk too.

yungchin

icom r75

well big blue2 i've heard all over the world on that icom r75! i didn't end-up giving nothing but 60dollars for it.another reason i don't want to get rid of that icom r75 is because i think my radio buddy wanted me to have that radio after he passed away and that is why i ended-up with it only for 60dollars.

yungchin

icom r75

well sure could use your help ridgescan because i know very little about the icom r75! and i don't want to sell the radio and end-up regreting that i should have hung-on to it. but i use a princeton sky wire dipole antenna on that icom r75. i live in a apartment and cannot put-up a outside antenna. i ordered it from universal radio[that antenna] and they sell icom r75's and other high tech radios.and that guy robb that works at universal radio inc, told me about the primetime short wave.com web link that i put out for you guys. but again thanks alot ridgescan i could really use your help on the icom r75.

yungchin

icom r75

i did not mean to ignore some of you guys post on the thread regarding the icom r75,but im still new trying to firgure-out how these thread and rr and you guys do things on here.

Ensnared

R75 Gem of a Radio

well sure could use your help ridgescan because i know very little about the icom r75! and i don't want to sell the radio and end-up regreting that i should have hung-on to it. but i use a princeton sky wire dipole antenna on that icom r75. i live in a apartment and cannot put-up a outside antenna. i ordered it from universal radio[that antenna] and they sell icom r75's and other high tech radios.and that guy robb that works at universal radio inc, told me about the primetime short wave.com web link that i put out for you guys. but again thanks alot ridgescan i could really use your help on the icom r75.

I have actually watched Yung Chin's R75 radio in operation. What a great deal he got. It looks brand new. I sure wish scanners were made with this quality. I will have to hand it to him, he has the magic touch in finding truly great radios.

ridgescan

Hey Yung I sent you a private message-it's at the upper right corner of the "forums" page-let me know when you are ready to walk through the r75.

zob-slantzero

Premium Subscriber
Icom R75

“brought from a buddy of mine wife because he died”

Am I the only that thinks that he cheated his buddy’s wife? All of you that think he had the “deal of the century” should be ashamed.

yungchin

icom r75

well only thing im wondering about is: why would someone pay 6hundred and 50dollars for a icom r75? i mean its gotta be something good about that radio. i have a shortwave radio thats pocket size and i 've heard all over the world on it and i only paid 30dollars for it. so this what im saying its gotta be something a great,great more about that icom r75. but anit figure it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.