Icom IC-2100H....NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUEENSEMT

Hello,

I recently purchased an icom IC-2100H mobile. I found out the the band split for transmitting is only 144-146. I was told that there is a way to modify the unit to transmit at a higher frequency (the 160s). Please let me know if you have any idea. Thank you very much

WouffHong

Illegal Mod??

Hello,

I recently purchased an icom IC-2100H mobile. I found out the the band split for transmitting is only 144-146. I was told that there is a way to modify the unit to transmit at a higher frequency (the 160s). Please let me know if you have any idea. Thank you very much

Please be advised you are heading into a sticky wicket.

Modifying ham gear for Commercial usage is illegal and non-certified transmitters could jam TRUE emergency traffic.

If that (Illegal Transmitting) is the purpose - bad idea. :-(

Wouff

Last edited:

QUEENSEMT

Thank you but i have all of the correct paperwork and whatnot. im using this for an ambulance. also i found out that when i got it it was already modified so i didnt have to do any work!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
No, there's no such thing as correct paperwork for using that radio on Part 90 frequencies, it's simply not legal. We're not the FCC or any kind of law enforcement agency but we're just trying to spare you any problems, technical or legal.

prcguy

Why lecture and argue with someone who wants to mod a radio? The OP does not appear to be in the US and if so our FCC rules do not apply. A Google search on "icom 2100h mod" will find what you need.
prcguy

WouffHong

Please reconsider...

Thank you but i have all of the correct paperwork and whatnot. im using this for an ambulance. also i found out that when i got it it was already modified so i didnt have to do any work!

it's STILL illegal, to use and can screw up other services with spurs or spurious emissions!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO paperwork that make it "legal" and it's ham-based stability, spectrum signature, and reliability specs are NOT what any Ambulance should have as a communications device, especially under adverse or critical conditions.

Even these days, in our county and others here in the sticks, we get dispatch complaints of distorted and/or off-frequency drop-outs from converted ham rigs.

Don't get me wrong - Your intent is honorable, and as a past 10-year 2-way radio shop owner in FL, even I looked the other way at times, but those were when the instabilties were not walking out of the bandwidth of receivers. Newer narrow-band ones today make it even more of a critical problem.

PLEASE do not use these modified ham rigs in any emergency vehicle, and if you insist on doing so, carry a few million-dollar insurances for personal liability ;-) :roll:

Wouff
Extra-class Ham License
Commercial 2-Way/Broadcast License since 50's

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Regardless if he is in the US or not DONOT use that rig for PS comms, I'm going on a limb here and guess ing that the OP is in Australia and even there is is not allowed to use ham gear outside of the ham band. Regardless of the paperwork he may have.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Queens is in New York.

My first thought as well but until the OP confirms or denies that, we don't know.

I agree, doesn't matter what country there in, why would you want to risk lives with that radio?

N8IAA

I'm betting Hatzolah EMS located Queens, NY. 160.280MHz. Regardless, we can beat our heads against a brick wall telling people of the illegal use of ham gear on commercial frequencies. PD in my county use Icom and Yaesu 2m rigs to talk on the state band and other frequencies when they go warrant serving. My first question, are you a ham too?:roll: Just remember, it's his a** on the line, not ours.
Larry

prcguy

Again, besides a friendly reminder that it's not kosher to use ham gear outside the ham bands it's the OPs choice from there.

We are not frequency or type acceptance cops and I'm sure if I followed the complaining parties around for a day I would find a bunch of unethical thongs to point out in their daily lives.

However, it's not my job and I don't care.
PR guy

My first thought as well but until the OP confirms or denies that, we don't know.

I agree, doesn't matter what country there in, why would you want to risk lives with that radio?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I see what you're saying and I agree. If you look at my first post, I make the same point regarding us having no business enforcing anything. I thought that since the OP has no other posts here that perhaps they weren't familiar with such problems.

I know this horse has been beaten to death ad nauseum so no more needs to be said.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Not sure I understand. That is the ham band, and those are part of those radios without modification.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

rdale said:
Not sure I understand. That is the ham band, and those are part of those radios without modification.

Figures. North America has 144-148 outside of north america only has 144-146... Do you follow now??? My guess is that the OP is not in North America...

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber

Figures. North America has 144-148 outside of north america only has 144-146... Do you follow now?

I follow what you are saying, unless Australia moved to North America when I wasn't looking...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslsymb/VK6AAL/wiabp.pdf

And I may be taking a stab in the dark, but I would be surprised if other countries allowed modified ham radios to be used in emergency services. But that's just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.