Icom: ICOM IC2730 DUAL CONTROL HEAD

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
No, it won't work with a dual head config like a proper part 90 radio will, like a Kenwood, Motorola, L3 Harris...it's a ham toy not a professional tool. Hams have zero use for this kind of thing.

An extra added bonus to using proper commercial gear where it needs to be in addition to type acceptance, is professional level functionality, not that one cares about rules or doing things the right way. I

sbfdchief91

Premium Subscriber
No, it won't work with a dual head config like a proper part 90 radio will, like a Kenwood, Motorola, L3 Harris...it's a ham toy not a professional tool. Hams have zero use for this kind of thing.

An extra added bonus to using proper commercial gear where it needs to be in addition to type acceptance, is professional level functionality, not that one cares about rules or doing things the right way. I
I have plenty of Commercial dual head equipment already. This is for a set up in our EOC for Races use. And yes Hams do have a use for it or we would not be pursuing this for our operator.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have plenty of Commercial dual head equipment already. This is for a set up in our EOC for Races use. And yes Hams do have a use for it or we would not be pursuing this for our operator.
Again, it won't work. The radios CPU is in the CH. It can't accommodate two heads. Doesn't matter whether it's for randy rescue RACES orange vest pro or around the ham shack. If you want a dual head radio, then use one designed for it. Most ham rigs mirror this design, with the CPU and memory storage in the CH itself. So, connecting two heads is not possible. Also, the tuning values for the radio softpots reside in the CH memory buffer. The service manual is out there and will see why it can't work after reading the basic circuit design.

Last edited: