ICOM R1, Internal 300mA battery, how long should it run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93Nav

Hello,

I just replaced the internal battery on my ICOM R1 and was wondering how long it should last before it needs recharging.

The battery is a 300mA 7.2 nicad pack. After I got it I charged it for 14 to 16 hours using the ICOM charger and then set it on a FM station and let it run until the battery was dead. I did this 4 times. The radio lasts about 2 hrs. I know the battery gets fully charged because the bottom of the radio where the battery is gets slightly warmer than room temp after about 14 hours.

Thanks.

S INTERNAL Battery ICOM IC-W2A IC-2SRA IC-4SRA IC-2SAT IC-3SAT IC-4SAT IC-24AT IC-RI IC-X2A 7.2v 300mAh NiCd

93Nav

Nobody has any idea? I need to know whether to return the battery by the 18th. Thanks.The manual give a little info on page 54, but I am not sure what it means.

Thanks

SAR923

I've never had an R-1, but a 300 mA battery doesn't have much capacity. My Yaesu VX-2R, which is a much smaller radio, has a 900 mA battery, and it's good for about 10 hours with a 10% transmit duty cycle. I suspect that two hours is about right for a 300mA battery. Is there any way you can get a higher capacity battery?

93Nav

Thanks for the replys SAR2401 and Tanger. The battery is an internal one, so the physical size is limited. I do have an external pack that goes on the bottom of the radio that holds 6 standard AA batteries which can easily be swapped out. So I will assume the new internal pack I got is good and not request a replacement.

Thanks again.

mahyai

IC-R1 battery

I have this radio that I bought when I lived in Thailand in the mid 90's. I haven't used it for years since the internal battery died and you can't even use external power or the add-on AA battery box unless the internal battery is good.

I'm going to BatteriesPlus today to see if they can get me one - their website shows they have it and it's a 1400 mAH size, so if it will physically fit inside the radio then it should last a good long time.

Here's the link: Icom IC-R1 - Search Results - Batteries Plus

I'll post again with status from BatteriesPlus. If they can't get one I'll use the link from your post. My charger is a 12 volt charger, and the stencil on the radio says 13.8 vdc. I'm going to assume that my original battery is a 340 mAH size.

Mahyai

93Nav

I have this radio that I bought when I lived in Thailand in the mid 90's. I haven't used it for years since the internal battery died and you can't even use external power or the add-on AA battery box unless the internal battery is good.

I'm going to BatteriesPlus today to see if they can get me one - their website shows they have it and it's a 1400 mAH size, so if it will physically fit inside the radio then it should last a good long time.

Here's the link: Icom IC-R1 - Search Results - Batteries Plus

I'll post again with status from BatteriesPlus. If they can't get one I'll use the link from your post. My charger is a 12 volt charger, and the stencil on the radio says 13.8 vdc. I'm going to assume that my original battery is a 340 mAH size.

Mahyai

Mahyai,

The link you gave did not pull up a battery for the R1, just a suggested possible alternative. I do not think it will work, way to big physically would be my guess.

As for not being able to use the radio with a dead internal battery, I was able to use mine with the internal battery dead but using an external battery pack (the 6 AA's one).

Let us know how it works out for you.

mahyai

I went to BatteriesPlus - you are correct about the size that the website suggested. The guys at the store said it probably wouldn't fit. They are building a replacement at my local store using 400 mAH batteries (NUN2/3AA-2 or NUN400-2/3AAF - one of these is the part number - both are listed on the invoice). They will use the harness from the original and it will be shrink wrapped and be physically the same size as the original. Total price is $24.00. I was expecting a call today saying it was ready but nothing yet.

I had a bad battery in my original pack - I'm hoping that is what kept mine from working using external power/battery pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.