Icom R30 vs Uniden SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

payj

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

I know one is a receiver and one is a scanner. The icom being wide open for the most part while the Uniden more restricted?

I have capital to buy both, but not looking to waste money. I have read scanners are also more geared for listening to police / fire while the icom does not have these capabilities?

I am new to this hobby and trying to fully grasp the differences between the two. From what I found googling around is scanners and receivers compliment each other more than conflict with each other. I am hoping to better understand this.

Thank you!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The R30 will scan, but only frequencies. The SDS100 is a trunking scanner, which adds the ability to scan trunked systems. I would investigate what you wish to listen to, and if there are any trunked systems, you'll need a trunking scanner.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The R30 is a far better receiver by far; however, if you require the need for trunking and it’s a busy system, the Uniden is what you’ll need. For the money, the R30 is an excellent receiver and it can scan and decode a small trunking system as well but it cannot follow the individual Talkgroups like a scanner can; however, the R30 scans at 200-channels per second and works great if you program all the trunking site frequencies into a bank and scan that bank. Additionally, the R30 can decode P25, NXDN, D-Star, and dPMR right out of the box without the need for upgrade licenses that will set you back between $100-$150 additional with the Uniden and the R30 has broader range of frequency coverage and is all mode as well. A final thought, if you need NXDN and you need a radio to decode NXDN encryption, then the R30 can also do that, so long as the key is known.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Also, the R30 does not do DMR. The NXDN, DMR, and ProVoice upgrade cost is $60 each for the SDS100.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I've had my eye on the R30 for quite some time now, for reasons I will disclose here. In an extreme emergency situation (where you would have to evacuate) you would have to decide on quality and performance and physical dimensions, as to travel light and to take as little as possible with you and only what you need. Small, light, and compact, easy to access, and able to cover what you need to hear in a dire situation. The SDS100 will handle most of what you need to monitor if the radio is upgraded and maxed with the additional modes needed (DMR, NXDN, etc). You would want to be able to listen to the important comms if bad things are happening, primarily public safety in both the vhf and uhf bands. The SDS100 would be the primary radio for that. While the R30 cannot trunk track, it does have extended additional coverage that could come in handy, such as AM/FM and shortwave broadcast and utility bands (usb/lsb/am/etc) and much, much more. If you had to run to the hills with only what you could carry, the SDS100 and the Icom IC-R30 would be, by far, the two best radios to have that would be able to monitor anything and everything. I think I just talked myself into pulling the trigger on the R30 lol.

JD
kf4anc

CQ

I have them and each serve a purpose. You won't make a mistake having both. You can always get the R30 and wait for the SDS200 to have a different form factor. I haven't done anything below 25 MHz with the R30 besides testing some quick SSB when I first got it. As for the frequency gaps. Of the ~1500 or so memory channels I have programmed, I don't have anything in the gaps shown below on the R30.

SDS100 coverage:
  • 25-512 MHz
  • 758-824 MHz
  • 849-869 MHz
  • 895-960 MHz
  • 1240-1300 MHz
The R30 doesn't have remote control/logging/programming software like ARC or ProScan.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I've had my eye on the R30 for quite some time now, for reasons I will disclose here. In an extreme emergency situation (where you would have to evacuate) you would have to decide on quality and performance and physical dimensions, as to travel light and to take as little as possible with you and only what you need. Small, light, and compact, easy to access, and able to cover what you need to hear in a dire situation. The SDS100 will handle most of what you need to monitor if the radio is upgraded and maxed with the additional modes needed (DMR, NXDN, etc). You would want to be able to listen to the important comms if bad things are happening, primarily public safety in both the vhf and uhf bands. The SDS100 would be the primary radio for that.

JD
kf4anc

Very good points. I would like to add that in an extreme situation where limited access to a power source might occur, the Icom R30 requires less power to operate and you can toss 3 AA batteries in the optional battery pack and you're good to go.

CQ

Very good points. I would like to add that in an extreme situation where limited access to a power source might occur, the Icom R30 requires less power to operate and you can toss 3 AA batteries in the optional battery pack and you're good to go.

If you could find one for sale in the US, and not get ripped in price for a piece of plastic with metal contacts.

payj

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies. I think I might end up with both. It appears they compliment each other well. In my area (Seattle) it looks like DMR is used a fair amount so I may upgrade and get that. While NXDN seems to be used very little in the Seattle area, at least the R30 has it, which will be nice if I ever go to the other side of the state where some places use it.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
payj - I highly recommend the IOCM R30 over the Uniden. Quite Frankly the R30 is a Superior Receiver with ZERO gaps in coverage (cell still blocked). the R30 is a more sensitive Receiver as well without overloading. the R30 scans a fast 200 Ch/ sec and has Multiple SCAN modes such as Voice Squelch, Voice Scan and Reverse order scan among many others.
If you later want a Trunktracking Digital scanner with P25 Simulcast capability, I suggest waiting until the NEW Whistler TRX-100 comes out.
most Likeley it will have the same gaps in Coverage as the previous TRX Scanners have.

CQ

I've noticed some paging intermod issues on VHF with the R30 where every other radio I use, have none. The only exception was a TRX-2 that was much worse and got rid of. Gaps in coverage no issue per #6 post above.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Years ago, I got the R10 when it first came out and if I remember right I don't think it was tough enough for me. The thin nylon case didn't provide good enough protection and it acted squirrely after it had been dropped a couple of times and, also, it wasn't quick enough for me. I used to be pretty rough on stuff when I traveled, but now I buy heavy duty leather cases for everything and when I fly I put my radios in extra padded gps cases and carry all of my electronics in a ballistic nylon shoulder/backpack with all cords and chargers. The R30, so I have heard, is built like a battleship - is that correct?

JD
kf4anc

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If you could find one for sale in the US, and not get ripped in price for a piece of plastic with metal contacts.
I ordered mine the same time I ordered the R30 from universal radio. $49.95.
The R30 picks up P25 better than my 436. More options with the R30 than a dedicated scanner. Just hoping icom offers DMR in the near future.

racin06

I also own both the SDS-100 and R30 and both are fantastic radios! I primarily monitor HF Military, HF Amateur, D-STAR, and VHF airband with my R30. I use my SDS-100 to monitor my area police/fire P25 simulcast systems. Below are a couple of videos in which you may be of interest. The first is my SDS-100 monitoring the Indianapolis Fire/EMS on a P25 simulcast system. The second is both my SDS-100 and R30 monitoring my local county police/fire P25 simulcast system with only the R30 audio turned up. IMO, the R30 has the better digital audio!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
TailGator911 - Its more Durable than my R10 & R20. Its Supposed to be Drop Proof and Water Proof, but you should always care for your Radio Gear. I use a Lowepro utility case to protect my R30, Inside I have my Roll up HF antenna, and AA battery case.

That's what I have been reading. Thanks for the clarification!

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.