• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

IE Problem, anyone ever see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

I can not download anything.

It starts and runs the download dialog box.
Downloads the file (to who knows where)
Then the dialog box closes (even though I have it set to stay open)
AND the file is not in the folder.
A search of my PC can not find the file anywhere.

Help!

fineshot1

What OS are you using? If Win2K or XP have you had your user profile changed recently? If so perhaps the downloads are getting steered to the old profile. I had this happen to me recently on the work laptop & desktop and it drove me crazy.....If not good luck....

JoeyC

Maybe there was no file to start with? I've had ghost files appear to "save" and no evidence of them afterwards too.

Downloading and using Firefox is not an answer to the question.

N

N_Jay

JoeyC said:
Maybe there was no file to start with? I've had ghost files appear to "save" and no evidence of them afterwards too.

Downloading and using Firefox is not an answer to the question.
Another machine downloads the files fine.

It is on all downloads not just one site.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I couldn't help you N_Jay, but here's a good site where I'e gotten help in the past, in case you haven't seen it already. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

I've also had success solving software issues by searching Google (yeah, that's right, I said Google) for pertinent phrases or error codes relating to the problem.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Are you having this trouble if you ftp a file?

As a test try this URL which should download a small file from a edu site. Try sticking it on your desktop as a diagnostic.

N

N_Jay

JohnnyGalaga said:
I couldn't help you N_Jay, but here's a good site where I'e gotten help in the past, in case you haven't seen it already. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

I've also had success solving software issues by searching Google (yeah, that's right, I said Google) for pertinent phrases or error codes relating to the problem.
Tried a couple of Google searches.
I got hit with a bad download a few days ago, and thought System restore fixed it, but I think my IE files are somewhat corrupted.
I am going to try a reinstall/restore of XP and if that does not work, I guess it is time to install the new hard drive I have been waiting to install.

JnglMassiv

The easy thing to try is to clear your browser cache and delete all your cookies.
Tools>Internet Option

I've seen this fix all sorts of problems that shouldn't be fixed this way but waddayaknow..it often works.

N

N_Jay

loumaag said:
Are you having this trouble if you ftp a file?

As a test try this URL which should download a small file from a edu site. Try sticking it on your desktop as a diagnostic.

Does not work

joetnymedic

N_Jay,
Hey it's Joe. If you are using windows, go to start, then search and either type in the file you're looking for then let the machine look for ya. The othere thing you can do is exactly what I just recommended, but if you don't have the file name, just go to where it says modified or created and look for stuff from the last 24 hours or whatever. You'll probably find it that way.

Joe :)

DaveH

Not a pleasant thought I admit, but could it possibly be a virus or
other malicious software that's trying to drive you crazy? Can't say
I've seen/heard of this specifically though.

Dave

N

N_Jay

joetnymedic said:
N_Jay,
Hey it's Joe. If you are using windows, go to start, then search and either type in the file you're looking for then let the machine look for ya. The othere thing you can do is exactly what I just recommended, but if you don't have the file name, just go to where it says modified or created and look for stuff from the last 24 hours or whatever. You'll probably find it that way.

Joe :)

Did that they are just not saved anywhere.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

DaveH said:
Not a pleasant thought I admit, but could it possibly be a virus or
other malicious software that's trying to drive you crazy? Can't say
I've seen/heard of this specifically though.

Dave
I don't think it is intentional, but I think the Mal-ware trashed some file or changed some setting causing this.

My guess is it was part of how they make it hard to fix.

I was looking for a video, and got to a site that asked for a new codec.

I went to hit cancel and fat-fingered it to download.

System restore fixed it 99% but this is just the remnants.

Looks like a good reason to put the new SATA drive into use.
Just this week is too busy to spend the time rebuilding the machine.

kb5udf

Right Click Save to Desktop

I have had instances when windows saves files in temp locations, but with a cryptic
filename. Simple workaround for me has been to right click on the download link,
and to save it initially somewhere like my desktop.

scnnr

Before you do any drastic re-installs or anything like that go to this site and see if somone there can help you out.

http://forums.techguy.org/

You did run some spyware such as spybot/ adaware and run a online antivirus such as this one. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This is the only way that you can scan your system restore. If you have a virus you could just purge system restore and it will probably clean it up.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
phil_smith said:
Just download Firefox and be done with it :D
Yeah, Firefox and its bloated memory management will fix everything. Firefox is far from perfect, and may be my normal browser, but it doesn't work 100% of the time.

And, no, this isn't the thread to argue which is better so please don't.

I concur with mike_s104 though. Something's royally screwed in the registry.

-Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.