If money were no object???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
I need to place my 996xt at a remote location that is in a better location to receive signals. I also need to control the scanner, I need to record audio, and need to be able to erase those audio files from my home location to prevent my remote hard drive from becoming filled up. I also need to program the scanner from my home location. I also need multiple pc's to be able to view the scanner display and monitor audio from my home location. It would be nice if each of the three pc's at home could also control the scanner remotely too.. I don't know how all three of us could control the one scanner at the same time but I figure I might was well ask.

So if money is no object.. What would be your favorite setup>

Last edited:

Pape

Premium Subscriber
I'll go with one good internet line and one local computer to control the scanner at the remote location. Depending on the climate control at the remote location you will maybe need to take extra care in your hardware solution. removing mecanical part is a good start, therefore you go with passive cooling of the cpu and solid state storage. If you go with SSD HDD do a raid1 to add redundancy. Using dual redundant power supply will also remove a single point of failure.The use of a remotly controllable UPS and PDU will assure you a way to remote shutdown the power to connected equipment in case of unresponsiveness. A IP KVM is also a good idea to remote control in the computer if you loose OS remote connectivity.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I need to place my 996xt at a remote location that is in a better location to receive signals. I also need to control the scanner, I need to record audio, and need to be able to erase those audio files from my home location to prevent my remote hard drive from becoming filled up. I also need to program the scanner from my home location. I also need multiple pc's to be able to view the scanner display and monitor audio from my home location. It would be nice if each of the three pc's at home could also control the scanner remotely too.. I don't know how all three of us could control the one scanner at the same time but I figure I might was well ask.

So if money is no object.. What would be your favorite setup>

Check out Proscan, I think it will do everything you want as far as remote scanner control and audio recording. As for removing old audio files, you could have a script on the remote computer do that automatically or remote in to it using VNC or Windows Remote Desktop.

Andy

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have a 996XT setup in a remote location with a HP 5720 Thin Client. It streams via ProScan to my home. One ProScan license allows the program to be used on two computers.

The remote location does no recording but only controls and streams. The computer at my home records the audio and is what I use to upload/change programming.

Any updates needed to ProScan are done via Windows Remote Desktop Connection.

Any other users I allow to monitor the feed use the free ProScan Client (which allows independent recording). If you want additional computers to be able to control the remote scanner, use a separate copy of ProScan for every 2 computers.

Butel makes a remote scanner application called Scanner Station. I have never seen it in use, only the ads on ScannerMaster's website. Very expensive, well over a thousand dollars for what you are describing.

chris

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Check out Proscan, I think it will do everything you want as far as remote scanner control and audio recording. As for removing old audio files, you could have a script on the remote computer do that automatically or remote in to it using VNC or Windows Remote Desktop.

Andy

in addition to aaknitt comments, ProScan can record audio on the server and/or client side. The recordings on the server side can be displayedand played back remotely with the Web Server. ProScan can't delete the server side recordings from the client side however they can be deleted by setting the Auto Delete 1 hour to 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.