• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

If you were only allowed one firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably either my Glock 23 .40 caliber, Kimber Ultra Crimson 3" .45acp or my Daniel Defense MK18 10.3 SBR/Short Barrel Rifle.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
If you were only allowed one firearm, it would still be one too many.

We spend hours reading about people using the wrong type of radio for their licence, or not even having am licence, or using 1W on a milliwatt service and home owner groups measuring people's antennas or banning the totally - I really have to smile sometimes - a few extra milliWatts gets people's blood up, and the people who abuse the the law, or strongly uphold it are morons (insert any other word, they've all been aired). Yet everyone, totally against any kind of common sense whatsoever, can buy a gun? We've all seen the youtube videos that ignore the thousands of reliable, sensible and intelligent gun owners and show teeny-weeny people who can only just hold up a huge revolver firing it with results so obvious to non-gun people like me.

One gun in the hands of an idiot is too many. Maybe there should be an idiot test to own one, like the ham exams?

1. What are the pointy things called?
2. Which end of the tubey thing is the dangerous end?
3. If the gun can fire 6 pointy things, at what point is it safe to look down the hole in the tubey thing?
4. If you don't like loud bangs, how do you fire your gun with both fingers in your ears?
a. Grip the gun between your knees and jump up and down till it goes bang
b. put the gun on the floor and stamp on it until it goes bang?
c, Borrow a friend who can put their fingers in your ears, so you can pull the lever that goes bang?
d. Don't - just shout BANG very loudly.

If you are one of those people I understand. It's good that you don't own a gun. If you don't want to take the time to learn how to use it properly and safely then no, you shouldn't own a gun. If you don't trust yourself, it's good that can admit that.

How's your driving? Should you own a car?

Driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right.

One ?? Hmmmm...Winchester 1873 (44-40). There is some tough paper out there. And besides, if the wife gets to "pick one" I'd make sure she chose the Ruger Super Blackhawk.

If you are one of those people I understand. It's good that you don't own a gun. If you don't want to take the time to learn how to use it properly and safely then no, you shouldn't own a gun. If you don't trust yourself, it's good that can admit that.

How's your driving? Should you own a car?

Driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right.

One must keep in mind that paulears is in the UK, not the US. I’m not too versed in laws in the UK but I do believe firearm ownership is more of a privilege than a right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with above. Remington 870......It will defend....It will put food on the table.....It will kill zombies or anything else that walks with the right ammo. I don't need to practice putting holes in paper. And to quote Henry Fonda in the movie Warlock......."Take the shotgun...It speaks louder to a crowd."

You need high capacity to defend against a corrupt governmentso shotguns are out.
You need something you can hunt deer with so pistols are out.
You need something to defend your castle against multiple hostiles.
You need something for target practice
So now you know why the communists are after the AR-15.
Once the AR-15 is removed from private citizens, the government will
have total control of firepower.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
You need high capacity to defend against a corrupt governmentso shotguns are out.
You need something you can hunt deer with so pistols are out. ???
You need something to defend your castle against multiple hostiles.
You need something for target practice
So now you know why the communists are after the AR-15.
There are plenty of pistols adequate for hunting deer. I have a S&W 686 7-shot 6" barrel .357 Magnum. Using 180GR bullets deer are no problem! The you have the .41 Magnum, of course the .44 Magnum (that the late Larry Kelly of Mag'N'Port arms used to hunt black beer)! And if that's not enough, the S&W 500. Plenty of larger caliber single action revolvers, even a .45/70 rifle cartridge! The list goes on...

Which is EXACTLY what should happen. Government's are at the top of the pyramid, and they set the rules based on what the people want, but tempered by the fact they're at the top looking down. This is democracy. Sometimes large parts of the community disagree (look at our Brexit mess), but it does seem to an outsider that BUSINESS is playing a large part in the US predilection to want to shoot anything that moves, and have private citizens armed to the teeth for protection. Protection from what? other citizens with bigger guns.

I appreciate you have these amendment things that get clasped to the heart and embraced as something critically important. However, doesn't the word amendment suggest that something got changed before? Clearly, to outsiders, the almost childlike rhetoric the pro gun lobby spurt out makes non US citizens across the world smack our heads and wonder how so many people apparently intelligent just don't get it. The US gun laws are a joke. The pro gun lobby in 100 years will be viewed like old Cagney movies. Totally out of touch. The one thing in our press all the time are comments about Kinder Eggs. It's a joke a great country ban chocolate eggs with little toys inside because they're dangerous, but the kid not allowed to buy one can fire a gun? That isn't dangerous?

Sorry pro-gunners, you are all becoming very fast, a world wide joke, and your spokesmen/women put on World wide TV to demonstrate how deluded they are. They cite their prepared statements meant to justify your unalienable rights and everybody laughs at them. You do realise it a big joke to those who have common sense Government right? You really don't believe the reasoning surely, come on - you just like guns, and you like firing them, and feeling empowered? Yes?

We're just a daft sometimes - an old fella heard burglars downstairs, so he went down confronted them and one got accidentally stabbed with a screwdriver and died. We arrested the old man, and then he got released later, and now is under Police guard because the crooks have threatened him. In the US, you'd just have blown away the burglar, and gone to Walmart to buy an extra gun for backup.

Every time I read these posts I just don't understand why America doesn't understand how it makes them look.

I've read many articles by well known gun folk and a .22 rifle was deemed best for all around self defense and hunting use when the SHTF.

If some thugs come at me from a distance with Glocks and I have a Ruger 10-22 with high capacity mag, I win. Try hunting rabbits or other small game with a large caliber handgun, good luck. An AR-15 is nice for self defense and larger game but you won't have much left to eat with small game after the 5.56 turns the animal inside out. A .22 can take down a small deer at close range just fine and is great for dogs, cats, opossums, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels or whatever your neighborhood has to offer. .22 ammo is cheap, plentiful and its easy to carry lots of it.

In my opinion, a take down SS Ruger 10-22 with a rugged variable scope, maybe 1.5 to 6 power would be the ideal SHTF weapon if you could only have one weapon. For the scope I would choose something with 1 or 1.5 power on the low end for very close range self defense and 5 to 6 power will hit just about anything within the 100-150yd range of a .22 long rifle.

I will take the .22 caliber rifle. A well placed shot will take down food for the table and is still good for protection. True, it doesn't have the stopping power of a .357, .44 mag, or shotgun, but having a repeating rifle like my Remington 597 can put a hurting to an animal or human.

Status
Not open for further replies.