• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

If you were only allowed one firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one weapon idea is for everything from killing small game to eat like squirrels, birds or whatever else roams your area, self defense, etc.

There are no deer, elk, bear or anything larger than a coyote in most large cities so I think in most cases a 7.62 would be extreme overkill being the only gun you have needing a good backstop in a dense city situation and would need hearing protection, yada yada. I still think a .22LR would take care of most peoples needs for everything.

My FN SCAR 17s is all the AR I need.

In fact I sold all my AR-15's over the last 2 and went 7.62 exclusively.

Best weapon out there IMO =)

"All you need to know is where to hit it and you can kill game for food.."
You might also need some skill, not simply knowing where to aim.
A friend of mine put in two hitches as an Army sniper. For him, anything under 200 yards was boring. For *most* shooters with *most* off the shelf weapons with off the shelf ammo? If they can place a shot within two inches at 100 yards, shooting from a bench rest, that's a prime day.
And that plain .22 won't do more than annoy any kind of bear, among other threats.

It isn't a one-size-fits-all.
If you're gonna shoot a bear and he is 100 yards away then you are a fool. I never shot at a living thing at 100 yards away. I tend to shoot a lot closer. No a .22 MIGHT not be a 1 size fits all, BUT it beats nothing in your hands.

You don't understand because you like living in a police state and hiding behind a keyboard.
I just ordered 2 more AR-15s and another AK-47 complete with 100 round magazines.
Why you ask?
Because i can.
LMAO!
How and where do you get AR-15s? Is a license needed?

How and where do you get AR-15s? Is a license needed?
No license needed. Pawn shop, gun store, private individual, gun show, or even the internet is where to get one. Only need to pass a background check and have ID. No different than any other rifle.

I'm starting to get into AR pistols. I'd have to change my one go-to firearm to either an SBR or AR pistol in 5.56 with a 10.5" to 11.5" barrel.

johnnystuyv

Premium Subscriber
God Bless AMERICA

If you were only allowed one firearm, it would still be one too many.

We spend hours reading about people using the wrong type of radio for their licence, or not even having am licence, or using 1W on a milliwatt service and home owner groups measuring people's antennas or banning the totally - I really have to smile sometimes - a few extra milliWatts gets people's blood up, and the people who abuse the the law, or strongly uphold it are morons (insert any other word, they've all been aired). Yet everyone, totally against any kind of common sense whatsoever, can buy a gun? We've all seen the youtube videos that ignore the thousands of reliable, sensible and intelligent gun owners and show teeny-weeny people who can only just hold up a huge revolver firing it with results so obvious to non-gun people like me.

One gun in the hands of an idiot is too many. Maybe there should be an idiot test to own one, like the ham exams?

1. What are the pointy things called?
2. Which end of the tubey thing is the dangerous end?
3. If the gun can fire 6 pointy things, at what point is it safe to look down the hole in the tubey thing?
4. If you don't like loud bangs, how do you fire your gun with both fingers in your ears?
a. Grip the gun between your knees and jump up and down till it goes bang
b. put the gun on the floor and stamp on it until it goes bang?
c, Borrow a friend who can put their fingers in your ears, so you can pull the lever that goes bang?
d. Don't - just shout BANG very loudly.
It appears YOU know YOUR limitations. I hear that London Mayor is banning knives....lol

No license needed. Pawn shop, gun store, private individual, gun show, or even the internet is where to get one. Only need to pass a background check and have ID. No different than any other rifle.
Isn't possession of unlicensed gun illegal especially in NYC? If you buy a Glock at a gun show and bring it home, what are the chances of getting in trouble? Could undercover cops at the gun show spy on you?

Pardon me if I am asking naïve questions.

Some states do have laws that violate the Second Amendment.

If states were to attempt to impose restrictions on our FIRST Amendment rights that were equivalent to the restrictions they place on Second Amendment rights, the backlash would be epic. But it happens.

The reason is that EVERYBODY likes to run his mouth and say what he wants. But not everybody is into any aspect firearms.

People are less worried about infringements upon those rights that they personally have no interest in exercising. It's just human nature.

bill4long

Premium Subscriber
Every time I read these posts I just don't understand why America doesn't understand how it makes them look.
Says the guy who has no constitutionally protected free speech rights.

P.S. thanks for finally paying off your WW1 and WW2 debts last year.

P.P.S UK and all of EU would been in a world of hurt without U.S. military protection, esp in the form of ballistic weapons and jet aircraft.

You're welcome.

Originally Posted by paulears View Post
Every time I read these posts I just don't understand why America doesn't understand how it makes them look..
Forget firearm ownership for a moment... what kind of a 'government' would require a person to shell out US $193.00 just to be able to legally own a TV Set? Furthermore what sort of person would tolerate such a thing?
Our forefathers tossed tea into Boston Harbor. Maybe you folks should consider chucking a few tellys into the Thames...

Forget firearm ownership for a moment... what kind of a 'government' would require a person to shell out US $193.00 just to be able to legally own a TV Set? Furthermore what sort of person would tolerate such a thing?
We tolerate worse things than that over here 6079smithw.

speed bumps for one.

If a political party had one policy to get rid of the damn things and was headed by an alien from the planet zob who said they were taking over i would be tempted to vote for them HeeHee

"what kind of a 'government' would require a person to shell out US $193.00 just to be able to legally own a TV Set? "
You might be hinting at the UK, where the airwaves are considered Crown Property and you certainly will pay the Crown when you use any of their property. Including charts from the Hydrographic Office (Admiralty).
Or you might be hinting at the US, where for so many years EVERYONE paid for television every year. Maybe you missed that one, we had no choice. PBS was funded with taxes, you either paid or went to jail. Didn't matter if you like Bert and Ernie or not, you paid for them to be there.

That's the definition of a democracy: The minority get screwed. Or a Monarchy: There's only one vote, period. Got any better ideas?

K4FLB

Premium Subscriber
Which is EXACTLY what should happen. Government's are at the top of the pyramid, and they set the rules based on what the people want, but tempered by the fact they're at the top looking down. This is democracy. Sometimes large parts of the community disagree (look at our Brexit mess), but it does seem to an outsider that BUSINESS is playing a large part in the US predilection to want to shoot anything that moves, and have private citizens armed to the teeth for protection. Protection from what? other citizens with bigger guns.

I appreciate you have these amendment things that get clasped to the heart and embraced as something critically important. However, doesn't the word amendment suggest that something got changed before? Clearly, to outsiders, the almost childlike rhetoric the pro gun lobby spurt out makes non US citizens across the world smack our heads and wonder how so many people apparently intelligent just don't get it. The US gun laws are a joke. The pro gun lobby in 100 years will be viewed like old Cagney movies. Totally out of touch. The one thing in our press all the time are comments about Kinder Eggs. It's a joke a great country ban chocolate eggs with little toys inside because they're dangerous, but the kid not allowed to buy one can fire a gun? That isn't dangerous?

Sorry pro-gunners, you are all becoming very fast, a world wide joke, and your spokesmen/women put on World wide TV to demonstrate how deluded they are. They cite their prepared statements meant to justify your unalienable rights and everybody laughs at them. You do realise it a big joke to those who have common sense Government right? You really don't believe the reasoning surely, come on - you just like guns, and you like firing them, and feeling empowered? Yes?

We're just a daft sometimes - an old fella heard burglars downstairs, so he went down confronted them and one got accidentally stabbed with a screwdriver and died. We arrested the old man, and then he got released later, and now is under Police guard because the crooks have threatened him. In the US, you'd just have blown away the burglar, and gone to Walmart to buy an extra gun for backup.

Every time I read these posts I just don't understand why America doesn't understand how it makes them look.

If enough citizens do not want the second amendment, they can repeal it.

The US is not a democracy, it is a Republic. US citizens elect representatives, they do not directly make laws. Whether they realize it or not, US citizens are at the top of their government, not the government itself. True democracies would be anarchy. The one unique thing about the United States is that the citizens are the sovereign, not the government. According to the US Constitution, as ratified by the citizens, the government is chosen by the citizens and the government is modified by the citizens with ongoing amendments to the Constitution. Citizens can also convene a Constitutional Convention through each State's legislature. There is a movement to do just that. The Convention Of States Project. I am not suggesting a Constitutional Convention, I am only pointing out the fact the the people have the ability through their State Legislature to convene a convention, for the purpose of amending the constitution, without requiring the US Congress to initiate it. Article V of the U.S. Constitution provides two methods of adopting amendments. First, Congress may, by a two-thirds majority in both houses, propose amendments to the states, for the States to ratify by vote of the citizens. Second, if two-thirds of the states ask Congress to call a constitutional convention, Congress must do so. Point being, the US is not a Monarchy or a Dictatorship. The people are the sovereign. They have the power to change their government. Constitutionally, the people are the determining factor in the government they have. Either by election of the President or Representatives, or by amending the Constitution. I can't think of any other government on the planet in which the people are sovereign.

Status
Not open for further replies.