• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

If you were only allowed one firearm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, nothing beats the good old venerable Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223 caliber. (stainless)
How right you are. Normally, I would prefer the larger .30 caliber (Yugo SKS/Yugo M70). However, I had an opportunity to grab a Mini-14 w/bull barrel (581 series, I think) which turned out to be a hell of a shooter. I paired it with 4 Ruger 20 rnd mags which I found for the amazing price of $20 each. Damn thing is totally fun to shoot.

I've read many articles by well known gun folk and a .22 rifle was deemed best for all around self defense and hunting use when the SHTF.

If some thugs come at me from a distance with Glocks and I have a Ruger 10-22 with high capacity mag, I win. Try hunting rabbits or other small game with a large caliber handgun, good luck. An AR-15 is nice for self defense and larger game but you won't have much left to eat with small game after the 5.56 turns the animal inside out. A .22 can take down a small deer at close range just fine and is great for dogs, cats, opossums, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels or whatever your neighborhood has to offer. .22 ammo is cheap, plentiful and its easy to carry lots of it.

In my opinion, a take down SS Ruger 10-22 with a rugged variable scope, maybe 1.5 to 6 power would be the ideal SHTF weapon if you could only have one weapon. For the scope I would choose something with 1 or 1.5 power on the low end for very close range self defense and 5 to 6 power will hit just about anything within the 100-150yd range of a .22 long rifle.
17HMR would also make fantastic small game rifle.

17HMR is interesting, I've turned a lot of ground squirrels inside out with one but would not consider it the one gun to own. Think about the title of the topic and you would only have one gun for anything and everything.

In this scenario you must choose wisely or you will starve, or get bogged down carrying a hundred pounds of large ammo or you will have limited range or you will blow little critters away and leave no meat left to eat or the gun will be too big and slow for self defense maneuvering, etc.

What kind of gun will do everything? Maybe not everything really well, but will tackle self defense, hunting large and small game, is relatively easy to conceal, carries a lot of ammo, ammo is cheap and plentiful everywhere, accurate out to maybe 100yds, yada, yada.

I see only one solution.

17HMR would also make fantastic small game rifle.

K4FLB

Premium Subscriber
Strictly speaking, a republic IS a form of democracy. Stating that it's not a democracy is quite technically wrong.
The US is not exactly a democracy although very similar. It is sometimes called a democratic-republic, but the definition of a republic includes the components of a democracy so democratic-republic is redundant. It is not strictly a democracy, as democracies don't necessarily have representatives although they typically do. Democracies typically have a monarch. A strict democracy does not have representatives and everything is decided by a popular vote. The US cannot properly be referred to as just a democracy. Republics have representatives and a President. Great Britain is an example of a democracy but not a strict democracy. It is a representative democracy.

Definitions

Republic - a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Democracy - population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

Last edited:

K4FLB

Premium Subscriber
.22 rifle may be the most practical all around firearm, but I would prefer .223/5.56mm. I have never shot small game with .223/5.56 but I imagine it would go straight through. Does anyone have experience with that? Originally .222 and sebsequently .223 were varmint cartridges.

.22 rifle may be the most practical all around firearm, but I would prefer .223/5.56mm. I have never shot small game with .223/5.56 but I imagine it would go straight through. Does anyone have experience with that? Originally .222 and sebsequently .223 were varmint cartridges.
This may or may not help but it's a start.

223/556 vs 204 for varmints - PredatorMasters Forums

I've hit squirrels and small birds with 5.56 and you get the "pink mist" effect, nothing left to eat. Almost the same on a rabbit, it almost turns them inside out depending on where they are hit.

K4FLB

Premium Subscriber
I've hit squirrels and small birds with 5.56 and you get the "pink mist" effect, nothing left to eat. Almost the same on a rabbit, it almost turns them inside out depending on where they are hit.
I suppose the massive velocity of 5.56 just sucks a lot of the critter behind it as it passes through. I actually have a .22LR conversion kit for my AR, I suppose that makes it more purposed being able to switch, and it doesn't take very long to do at all. I had to do a bit of work on mine to make it reliable. Some people worry about fouling with .22LR. I once called Bushmaster asking about that, and the word was no worries. Just cycle a couple of .223 through after shooting .22LR to clear the barrel and gas system. Their attitude was they support doing it.

I think an AR with .22LR conversion kit would be an excellent choice if you could only have one firearm. I supposed a SHTF scenario is part of this one gun topic and being able to light off quieter rounds for hunting squirrel, opossum, raccoon, etc in a big city environment is a plus. You can't argue with an AR for self defense and larger game and the option to use .22LR and carry hundreds if not thousands of rounds in a small package is a great option.

A 16" or 18" barrel AR is also fairly concealable if you pop the pins and that's another plus in a big city situation.

I suppose the massive velocity of 5.56 just sucks a lot of the critter behind it as it passes through. I actually have a .22LR conversion kit for my AR, I suppose that makes it more purposed being able to switch, and it doesn't take very long to do at all. I had to do a bit of work on mine to make it reliable. Some people worry about fouling with .22LR. I once called Bushmaster asking about that, and the word was no worries. Just cycle a couple of .223 through after shooting .22LR to clear the barrel and gas system. Their attitude was they support doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.