IMPD On Illegal tac frequencies 156Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9NES

Hello To All, I found Indianapolis Metro Police Northwest District along with IMPD Southwest last night using frequencies on 156Mhz which are to be used for Marine radio Traffic on the great lakes and down on the Ohio River.I also heard radio traffic on 155.685.*Can you meet me at 17Th and Main Street* If anyone in the Indianapolis area would like to hear these *Illegal Tac radio Channels* just set your scanner to search from 156-157Mhz and you will hear the radio traffic.No these are not images on my Bearcat 300 on my nightstand in the Master bedroom"!!! I will be posting these frequencies.Funny how IMPD gets to use"Illegal Marine VHF Frequencies" I thought those tac radios were taken out back when The Marion County Sheriffs Department was still doing Road patrol across Marion County when Sheriff Jack Cottey issued a order to all of the deputies on the road to "Pull or take out the Tac radios "

bdub5

That one guy...
yup

Tim, you are right. There are a lot of IMPD officers using modified amateur radios on the business band / public safety VHF band. I hear several of them that work NE on one of the surrounding counties fireground channel.

This has been happening for years and the administration just don't care about it.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
There are 34 156 frequencies assigned to public safety for any use, has nothing to do wih marine. Check part 90 rules and get correct information.

Last edited:

bdub5

That one guy...
n4voxgill said:
There are 34 156 frequencies assigned to public safety for any use, has nothing to do wih marine. Check part 90 rules and get correct information.

Yeah, there are frequencies in the 156.xxx area of the band for assignment to the public safety agencies. Just because they are assignable doesn't mean you can hijack them for use whenever you want. You still have to obtain a license from the FCC for them and use a type accepted radio.

The biggest problem I have is there is a well known use of modified amateur radios being used by officers for tac channels. The admin knows this and does nothing.

From my understanding there has been offical complaints to uncle sam in the past but there isn't enough resources to enforce it.

W9NES

n4voxgillThis has nothing to do with the matter at hand in Indianapolis,Indiana. This has been happing for years and Law Enforcment Administration along with the City/County Council members who are elected by voters in Indianapolis/Marion County will also not do anything.These 156Mhz channels are Marine Channels and the frequencies they are using are not licensed by the City of Indianapolis/Marion County.They are indeed "Illegal " and are vilolating FCC rules and regulations.You need to re-check the use of FCC part 90 and let me know where in the rules it states that they can use frequensices "WITHOUT A VAILD LICENSE" I hold 3 licenses, One for my HAM RADIO LICENSE, ONE FOR GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and one for my other radio.I had to be licensed to use all three and all the City/Counties and or other people have to hold a vaild radio license issued by the FCC to operate on the assigned frequencies.The City Of Indianapolis/Marion County is not a vaild license holder for the 156Mhz frequencies!!!!!

W9NES

This is not a Metro enforcement group.It is a bunch of Active Police Officers for Indianapolis Metro Police Department who are using illegaly modified Ham or other two way radios that are programable to any frequency they chose.They do not have a valid FCC issued license according to the FCC database that is available on line by the internet. at www.fcc.gov. These guys have a badge, a gun, a car with red and blue lights and door shields on the sides on their cars and they think they can do whatever they want to.This does include using a two way radio according to FCC rules and regulations and that also includes obtaining a vaild FCC Radio license for that assigned frequency.There is no need for these guys to be doing this and also using very profane language about women, and also insulting each other with name calling such a "*a******''

jerk

W9NES said:
Hello To All, I found Indianapolis Metro Police Northwest District along with IMPD Southwest last night using frequencies on 156Mhz which are to be used for Marine radio Traffic on the great lakes and down on the Ohio River.I also heard radio traffic on 155.685.*Can you meet me at 17Th and Main Street* If anyone in the Indianapolis area would like to hear these *Illegal Tac radio Channels* just set your scanner to search from 156-157Mhz and you will hear the radio traffic.No these are not images on my Bearcat 300 on my nightstand in the Master bedroom"!!! I will be posting these frequencies. Funny how IMPD gets to use"Illegal Marine VHF Frequencies" I thought those tac radios were taken out back when The Marion County Sheriffs Department was still doing Road patrol across Marion County when Sheriff Jack Cottey issued a order to all of the deputies on the road to "Pull or take out the Tac radios "

Old news, and has been happening for years. Now, there is a provision in the rules that you can use any frequency for low power tactical or something like that. I forget the exact wording.

Yes it is wrong, but complaining about on here the correct course of action and posting the frequncies helpful? I think a letter or phone to the "bosses" would be the first and best step. Or if you are really brave, the next time you see an IMPD cruiser, just walk up tell how you really feel. :) I'm sure they'll reciprocate in return. ;) Or you can be like Gomer on the Andy Griffith show, he makes a citizens arrest when Barney makes an illigal U-turn. So there you go... free legal advice from the TV.
AL

Last edited:

W9NES

Newsalan,You are not a lawyer and you do not play on on tv or in real life so quit acting like you are because you are not !.I hate to bring this up to you but I was right all the time on the issue at hand about my posting of 155.445.A call was made to the Communications Supervisor for the Indiana State police this week and he was given the infomation as far as the source of the interference.It was Life Ambulance Service out of Ohio.They "ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE THIS FREQUENCY IN INDIANA" They are licensed to use 155.445 in the State of Ohio.They are no longer operating on 155.445.My job is done! As far as the matter at hand on IMPD. I will be getting this matter taken care of starting on Monday when I call the Chief Spears office and have it investigated by Internal Affairs Division.I did get names and unit numbers that were involved.Once again, you are off of the topic at hand.What has "The Andy Griffith Show and Gomer got to do with this? Nothing at all.Leave Central Indiana to people who live in the area and we do "Know more than you do" about getting things done and stick to Southern Indiana and Kentucky.

jerk

W9NES said:
Newsalan,You are not a lawyer and you do not play on on tv or in real life so quit acting like you are because you are not !.I hate to bring this up to you but I was right all the time on the issue at hand about my posting of 155.445.A call was made to the Communications Supervisor for the Indiana State police this week and he was given the infomation as far as the source of the interference.It was Life Ambulance Service out of Ohio.They "ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE THIS FREQUENCY IN INDIANA" They are licensed to use 155.445 in the State of Ohio.They are no longer operating on 155.445.My job is done! As far as the matter at hand on IMPD. I will be getting this matter taken care of starting on Monday when I call the Chief Spears office and have it investigated by Internal Affairs Division.I did get names and unit numbers that were involved.Once again, you are off of the topic at hand.What has "The Andy Griffith Show and Gomer got to do with this? Nothing at all.Leave Central Indiana to people who live in the area and we do "Know more than you do" about getting things done and stick to Southern Indiana and Kentucky.

Gee lighten up, glad you feel proud, safe, vindicated, whatever... You posted it, I responded trying to lighten the mood. You take the issue of radios too seriously. Perhaps the FCC has an opening in their enforcement bureau. Since you missed the joke, I'm saying you are acting like Gomer in that episode of "Citizen Arrest." And I told you that this was probably not the place for tackling this issue, and it seems we agree on that. Again, you take the issue of radios too seriously! Oh and I'm sure there are a few hams who don't follow the rules as well, maybe you can join Amateur Auxiliary and become a "Official Observers"

AL

n4voxgill

Silent Key
the only exception to the requirement for a license that I am aware of is in FCC Rule 90,20 (f) (5) that allows communications on any frequency between 40 and 952 MHz listed in paragraph (c) (3) for communications in connection with physical surveillance, stakeouts, raids and other such activities withut a license. Such use is secondary and power is limited to 2 watts and unless the frequency shown is PP requires approval of the appropriate coordinator. I have no idea if this is what IMPD is using the frequencies for, as no real information about frequencies nor use has been presented.

jerk

n4voxgill said:
the only exception to the requirement for a license that I am aware of is in FCC Rule 90,20 (f) (5) that allows communications on any frequency between 40 and 952 MHz listed in paragraph (c) (3) for communications in connection with physical surveillance, stakeouts, raids and other such activities withut a license. Such use is secondary and power is limited to 2 watts and unless the frequency shown is PP requires approval of the appropriate coordinator. I have no idea if this is what IMPD is using the frequencies for, as no real information about frequencies nor use has been presented.

I do believe that is it... IMPD is "bootlegging" VHF radios for chitchat and talking. The big advantage is they think no one is listening, and the traffic is not recorded like it is on the Trunked system. It is a CB system on VHF. It was "busted" in the news papers a few years ago, and now it appears they are back doing the same thing.

AL

bdub5

That one guy...
n4voxgill said:
I have no idea if this is what IMPD is using the frequencies for, as no real information about frequencies nor use has been presented.

Okay, if you want information I can help you out there.

There are several units that work IMPD NE that operate on 156.225 which is a licensed frequency for Hancock County fireground channel 2. These are far more than 2 watt radios.

These guys normally talk about runs they just completed using vulgar language and other topics using language that would make my mom blush.

I think that W9NES is just looking out for the good of the scanning / amateur radio hobby. I do not think he takes it too seriously. Thanks for being aware Tim.

W9NES

Newsalan,Yes this is what we have been trying to tell everyone what is going on here.Thank You for waking up to the idea that now "IMPD is above the law and now they are using "Illegal radios" Duh? Now it is time to get something done about it instead of "Reading about it in the papers" Maybe the fcc needs to notified about this matter at hand along with Administration under the new mayor in Indianapolis/Marion County.Also the Public Safety Director needs to be informed with the City/County Council.

W9NES

here is are the frequencies to monitor for "Illegal Communications by IMPD'' 156.900-IMPD Southwest, 156.475-IMPD Northwest, 156.225-IMPD Northeast.If anybody finds the frequency for IMPD Southeast and Downtown please feel free to post them here.Thank You For Your Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.