In counties where UCA has a simulcast, why do they operate any non-simulcast sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_R

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about radio systems so this might be a dumb question but according to the UCA databse on here, Davis County has a 4-site simulcast but then there's also two sites that are not part of the simulcast. Why wouldn't UCA just put all sites in a county in the simulcast?

Salt lake has a simulcast and then 6 sites that are not part of the simulcast.

huntingbuddy

The simulcast is for different frequencies. Let me explain. I do SAR in Box Elder County, our county LE channels are all 800mhz. However our search and rescue radio's are all VHF but we still need the ability to talk to dispatch or other officers. So certain channels are simulcast between VHF and 800mhz, so I talk to an officer on an 800 mhz radio with my VHF.

Simulcast is just a way for counties to have comms on VHF and 800mhz. Prior to the big push for 800mhz before the Olympics a lot of counties had VHF. Why get rid of perfectly good comms system and keep it as a back up. I know troopers in my county as well in Utah county have vhf and 800mhz radio's in their car just in case the 800mhz isn't working.

Kind of a long answer but I hope it answers your question.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ranger2004

I don't know much about radio systems so this might be a dumb question but according to the UCA databse on here, Davis County has a 4-site simulcast but then there's also two sites that are not part of the simulcast. Why wouldn't UCA just put all sites in a county in the simulcast?

A IR site(IntelliRepeater) only tx/rx what is in it's area of coverage.
So here in Utah county we have Utah Simo, Lake IR, Teat Peak IR, and many other IR sites.

So say UHP is in Spanish Fork canyon or anyone dragging the TG into the area of Teat Peak IR.
That TG and only that TG is broadcast over the IR site. Same goes with any other TG that is being used in that area.
They do not transmit if there are no Radio/Unit in the coverage area of an IR. (scanner quiet)
So UHP could be active on the simo but not on any IR site if no radio's are in the IR site coverage.

Little that i know, this is pretty much how it works to my knowledge.

Ton of info on Trunking https://www.mctx.org/document_center/1Radio/Trunking (pdf format document).pdf

Brett

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

I have no knowledge of that system, but two reasons are cost and TDI.

It costs money to install a site (space, base station cost) and costs to run (electricity , HVAC, space leases). At a very low traffic area, it might not make financial sense to have as many channels.

Depending on the size of the area and terrain it might not be possible to have the site in the simulcast due to delay spread (TDI). You can only simulcast over a certain size area before the signals arrive so far out of sync that the receivers cannot decode it. And sometimes a particular spot might be good for coverage, but is situated such that it would cause destructive interference to other areas.

N7YUO

Quote: It costs money to install a site (space, base station cost)
and costs to run (electricity , HVAC, space leases).
At a very low traffic area, it might not make financial sense to have as many channels.

Salt Lake Simul operates 20 channels presently.
There is not enough radio demand in remote areas
to justify additional transmitter sites of 20 channels.

Up in the canyons there is no need to transmit
S Salt Lake, WV, WJ, SJ, Herriman, Sandy & others.
So the IR sites have enough channels to serve the
agencies that operate there regularly.

Some IR sites like Nelson Pk & Mt Ogden serve
more than one county.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.