• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

In Praise of Stridsberg Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV, ScannerCast author
It's wonderful to see a small US-based firm set the pace in terms of product AND customer service.

About 7 months ago I bought a Stridsberg MCA204M (25KHz to 1GHz) multicoupler for use in my radio room. It quickly became an indispensable tool.

Last week it just stopped working. Front-end overload? Too many power hits here in the country? Heat stroke (it's been close to 100 degrees for the past week)? :) Who knows.

I dropped the Stridsberg folks a note, asking about their warranty policy, expecting to hear "90 days" or "have a nice day." The reply (in less than two hours, on a Saturday):

>Peter.
>
>You have a "Life-Time" warranty on the unit so there are no charges for
>service/repair and/or revision upgrades.
>
>Please ship it back to us for repair, RMA is not necessary.

I was THRILLED. A lifetime warranty? When was the last time you heard of THAT?

In less than a week, John S had the unit on its way back to me... UPS 2nd day.

This was just a wonderful, unexpected, surprise for me... and I wanted to share my experience with other here.

I'd know for a while that these folks make a good product. I had no idea that they have such an outstanding warranty policy and such good customer service.

Highly recommended,

P

Standard Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Stridsberg, or its employees, suppliers or distributors, other than that of a happy customer.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
*That* is just *one* of the reasons why, for those `Electroline?' fans out there, that makes the Stridsberg line of Multi-Couplers worth buying! While one *might* `quibble' about the `turn around' time, they may have just been busy with a few big orders since *I* haven't every had any problems time-wise with them either ordering or having a particular piece of equipment `tweaked'. (I needed a filter `tweaked' slightly higher than usual to eliminate a problem I was having with a local `broadcaster' who has since, finally, folded up their `tent' and disappeared `quietly into the night'.) In the latter case we talked about the problem on the phone for a few minutes, I was then advised to go ahead and send the unit in, and a week later I had it back and my problem was gone. Every time I've ordered another Multi-Coupler or anything else on a Monday I've received my order by the end of that same week and I haven't ever used any form of `Express' or other `rapid' shipping.

INMNSHO, Stridsberg products are *well worth* what one pays for them.

SEMTTP

Peter,

Thanks very much for that. I have been wanting to buy one and put it in my shack, but the price on those "little monsters" is a little on the high end. However, thanks to your post, you just helped me realize that they have a wonderful product, and it is well worth its price in gold.

Thanks much!

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
What *I* find `interesting?' / `strange?' is that some people will go and spend `béau coupé' bucks on their `receivers' / `scanners', antenna(s) and coax and then `cheap john' it on their multi-coupler.

Lessee... The `cheap' unit uses F type connectors for both input and output which means that most likely one will end up using adapters to go from probably BNC or N type to F type and then back to BNC or N type from F type. The Stridsbergs can be gotten with BNC, or N, type connectors in and out so there aren't any adapters. The `cheap' unit is usually meant for use with Sat systems though it might sometimes also have inputs for `over the air' signals and have some sort of `pre-compensation' or `tilt' built in to supposedly `correct' signal levels for cheap coax like is often used in that particular application. The Stridbergs are specifically designed for VHF/UHF, or HF, frequencies and have basically `flat' response throughout their entire range response and expect that one will use an appropriately high quality coax to match. Remember... Stridsbergs are meant to be used for *monitoring* type applications where receiving signals as they actually are received is part of the `game'. Any `twiddling' / `tweaking' / ETC. of the signals should be done either at the antenna end by what antenna is, or antennas are, used or at the receiver end. The multicoupler's job is to make certain that the signal(s) get through with the very least `changes' as possible. The DBS `Multi-Switch', like lessay an `Electroline', is meant to be used in situations where not only are there chances of cheap coax being used but there are many other assorted `variables', like extemes of length of run for just one example, that have to be `compensated' for. They are also `mass produced' items that while they *may* have *some* `standards' they *may* `meet' they are usually quite `wide' and while one may be able to sometimes get a `good' one the very next one may not be all that good.

Basically one gets what one pays for. This is one of those times when paying a bit more actually gets one more. I really *do* find it hard to understand why someone who has paid up to possibly $1K for a`receiver' / `scanner' to try and `get the best' is willing to *not* do so to assure that said `receiver' / `scanner' has good signals to work with. *Especially* since dealing with the newer systems, like the assorted trunking systems out there, we now have to deal with. {YEEEEESH!} Maybe 5 - 10 years ago it wouldn't have made any difference but, today...?

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth.

mikea7531

Premium Subscriber
I am both a user of Stridsberg's Multicoupler, and the Electroline product. I picked up the electroline product off of ebay for $20.99, and the 8 port stridsberg for $330. After trying them both - I am finding that the Electroline is outperforming the Stidsberg. I've set them both up using the same scanners, same cabling, etc.

All scanners were the same

All cables were the same, with the exception that i changed the RG-6 'patch' cables from a BNC end to an F connector for the Electroline - i just simply cut the BNC off and added the F connector - no adaptors were needed. LMR-400 is going from a Discone antenna to the multicoupler, it has a BNC end on it - i did use an adaptor to connect it to the Electroline.

All scanners that i've tested was showing at least one bar more for signal strength on the Electroline than on the Stridsberg. Some signals were coming in with 2 to 3 more bars. I have tested them all on VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, UHF, and 800Mhz - using the same frequencies for each test.

My conclusion - I'm hooked on the Electroline product, even though it don't have a warrenty on it, but for $20.99 - if it breaks, i'll just throw it out and buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.