Inexpensive SWR meters for VHF, UHF, HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

suleske

I'd like to find a reliable SWR meter that is inexpensive, covers 0-500 MHz, up to 100W. Realizing this is probably impossible, What is your breakdown of products to cover these frequencies, while remaining inexpensive and relatively accurate / reliable?

I'd most like to find a solid VHF unit... 2m primarily, but having ability to help tune 6m. I realize that is closer to HF than VHF.

About the design of SWR meters - the VHF / UHF ones - what makes them such? That is, what prevents an HF meter from being used at VHF freqs and vice-versa, with some level of accuracy?

Thanks!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I use a Telewave Watt meter that covers 20-1000 MHz from 5-500 Watts. It has a forward and reflected selector. It does not use slugs. I got it fairly cheap on Ebay several years ago and it works great. It is a 44A.

At work, we use a Bird 4410 that does use different slugs.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Most SWR meters are VSWR or Voltage standing wave meters. It also depends on where you measure the SWR, at the transmitter or at the antenna. A VSWR meter only measures correctly if you measure at the antenna or multiples of 1/2 wavelength from the antenna. What you need is a meter that measures forward power and reflected power. From those two measurements you can calculate the SWR (using a nomograph provided by the manufacturer). Power is constant along the length of coax but voltage and current have peaks and valleys. This is why if the coax isn't multiples of 1/2 wavelength or the meter isn't at the antenna the SWR APPEARS to changes as you change the length of the coax. SWR is constant along a length of coax. That is why if you measure forward/reflected power and calculate the SWR it will be the same anywhere along the coax. SWR and Watt meters are optimized for a range of frequencies.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.