Infamous "Error 1606"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4RBT

I purchased ARC 500 to program my new PRO-106. Upon trying to install it under Windozes 7, I get Error 1606. I went to the Windoze site, tried their Fix-it, did not work. Then, I went through all of the other things they said to look at in the registry. You have to be really gutsy or insane to mess in the registry, I am such!
All was exactly as Microsloth (you can see I REALLY dislike them!) said it should be. Still not able to install.

Anyone know of a fix for this other than going to Ubuntu and Win500?

I did get in to the keyboard programming and replaced out of date information in the Virginia V-Folder and am now listening to the Roanoke system. Maybe after I get Mike's book I will just program by keyboard.

Fred Mahone

K4RBT

Update to "Error 1606"

I did another search as per Microsloth directions. I also saw, via Google search, this is an ongoing problem
with other applications for which this does not provide a solution does not work.
I bought a software package (it did load) that went out and found all of the mistakes and such (over 1000,
not going to beta test anymore) in the registry and corrected the same.
NUTZ, still get the Error 1606 message.
I did a search specific to the application and error and found nothing, it's a pain to be the first!

Fred Mahone

K4RBT

Error 1606

As I posted, I went to the Microsoft web page about this, I tried Fix-it twice, went through all of the registry settings on the fix it myself. All settings were exactly like Microsoft posted. I bought ZookReg and let it go through the registry, found over 1000 things not right, a lot from beta testing software. After the fix, still get the error.
I contacted Gommert and he suggested installing a newer version of Installer, there is none for Windows 7.
I did a system check for updates, applied three that have nothing to do with installing software, and, once again, my Wacom graphics tablet is dead.
There are others, one with a brand new laptop, that the fixes do not work.
Odd, the ZookReg loaded without a glitch.
I am wondering if the ARC500 download go corrupted. I asked this of Gommert.
More and more I am thinking of going to Ubuntu, Windows causes too many headaches.

Fred Mahone

W2PMX

1) Could be a corrupted download - that's always a possibility with any program. Can you redownload? (I assume you download a trial version and activate it [I don't use ARC software], so you should be able to.)

2) Could be a mismatch with whatever library (if any) Gommert uses. (I'd expect a better answer - like "it works on X service pack on a Y CPU".)

3) Not to start a Winblows/Linux war (I'm on the same side you are), but most scanner programs don't come in *nix flavors, so unless you have a scanner you can write software for (about the only reason I don't own a PSR-800 yet) you're stuck with Microslut.

K4RBT

Error 1606

I downloaded the file direct from Scanner Master after purchasing it. I guess I could download another trial version, see if it loads and takes my code keys. By the way, it is arc500_1_17_build2, supposed to be the latest version.

I tried the trial version of Win500, but could not get an import from Radio Reference to work so I did not buy it.
I went by what others had said per the Pro-106.

After working in the communications field for 30+ years, I find that a lot of the problems are created trying to make a little do a lot. When it first came out, we techs called trunking "skunking" because, when it failed, it was a stinker to get back on the air. Can you say failsoft?

Fred Mahone

K4RBT

Error 1606

I downloaded another copy of ARC500 from the Butel site. It would not load, Error 1606. I bit the bullet and tried to install it on my wife's Dell. It has a problem, I think the hard drive is failing. It loaded completely and I was able to import from RR the systems here in Roanoke. The slowness does effect how fast scree refreshes take, so I will have to look at it after I come back from a trip to Richmond.
After I get back, I guess my only recourse is to copy the hard drive, format it and reinstall everything in a logical order.
One comment I read, which is scary, is some IT people believe the only way to make Windows behave is a fresh install yearly. I have way too much software to make this happen.
I appreciate all of the suggestions on trying to fix this problem.
The real terror, Windows 8 comes out next year!

Fred Mahone

Status
Not open for further replies.