• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Inside info

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Its a public safety device targeting fire / ems users who use them as pagers or monitor one channel.

We are the side users who want what the pager was not meant for. At least not yet.
Hopefully Unication is looking at making us scanner users a targeted market.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
A vast majority of the users would have dedicated knob positions for individual channels much like an actual radio. This simplifies operation of the pager and doesn't require them to look at the screen and mess with buttons. Actual intended users would also likely be parked on their own dispatch and not scanning to minimize their chances of missing a call.

mharris

Wouldn't Fire Service users benefit from a scan hold as well?

I believe they would benefit for sure. I can't think of any radio with scanning capabilities that you can't stop the scanning, or hold. My Motorola radios all have scan which you can turn on and off. I'm sure it's the same with Harris, Relm, Kenwood, and Icom. They are all professional radios like the Unication.

boatbod

It really depends how you program the radio, and whether you set up one tgid per knob position or multiple.

For our county there really is no need for a scan hold. Once the dispatch takes place we know which tgid is going to be used for tac communications.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't Fire Service users benefit from a scan hold as well?
That is going to vary, but not for most FD users. Having priority scanning, and thoughtful selection of layout, your primary concern be the priority channel/TG.

Sent using Tapatalk

TFrank615

In my Departments case, this may help us. We are dispatched on 2 talkgroups, however only one of those two talkgroups transmits tones, and the other is for unit to dispatch traffic. What screws some things up is even when dispatch is answering a unit, theyre still talking over both talkgroups and not just the unit to dispatch channel.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
In my Departments case, this may help us. We are dispatched on 2 talkgroups, however only one of those two talkgroups transmits tones, and the other is for unit to dispatch traffic. What screws some things up is even when dispatch is answering a unit, theyre still talking over both talkgroups and not just the unit to dispatch channel.
Then one of two things would solve this.
1) Dispatch only talks on the dispatch TG when making the initial alert. All other comms are one the answer TG.
2) After being alerted, change the selector knob to the next position, which puts the answer TG as priority.

Sent using Tapatalk

TFrank615

Then one of two things would solve this.
1) Dispatch only talks on the dispatch TG when making the initial alert. All other comms are one the answer TG.
2) After being alerted, change the selector knob to the next position, which puts the answer TG as priority.

Sent using Tapatalk

That’s 100% to complicated for the midage and older guys to comprehend. Was trying to make it easier and all on one channel. Which I’ve figured out, it’s not the 100% best but it’s been working decently so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
It looks like I’m getting a G5. I’m in public safety and would love the a Hold option as well as an Avoid or Lockout. Just trying to learn the ins and outs now before it arrives.

Yet no one has given an answer to what other feature is to be sacrificed, to convert a button to being a hold. (Assuming it is possible, with a firmware change.)

Sent using Tapatalk

Can you program the buttons? Maybe have different programmable functions for a short press/ long press.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Can you program the buttons? Maybe have different programmable functions for a short press/ long press.

No, the functions are set by the company. I am not sure if they are hard coded in the unit, or part of the firmware. Either way, they are not selectable at the consumer level.

Sent using Tapatalk

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
No, the functions are set by the company. I am not sure if they are hard coded in the unit, or part of the firmware. Either way, they are not selectable at the consumer level.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

mharris

I didn't think of user programmable buttons, via CPS. That's an excellent idea and would enable more functions to be added; some of which may not be used by everyone, but used by many (such as hold, avoid, nuisance delete, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.