• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Install advise for a 2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
Hello. Proud new owner of a 2015 Journey Crossroad.
I am looking to install my Yaesu FT-8800 (using separation cable), and an old-school amplified Motorola speaker.

As far as an antenna is concerned, I am NOT messing with the headliner, as there are airbags along both sides. I will be using a dual band window antenna.

Where would anyone recommend I mount the radio itself? I am thinking under the passenger seat (storage bin) but I would rather not drill some holes.

Any ideas, suggestions or photos would be helpful.
Thank you.

I_am_Alpha1

Installing radios in newer cars can be a challenge. They don't leave much room to get you hands in and pull wires. Everything seems to be computer run and finding power you want can be tough. I just peeked at some online pics to see what you have.

Window antennas are referred to as dummy loads...they are not going to work as well as drilling a hole in the roof. So what else can we look at? A Tram 1246 lip mount for $20 (Tram has PL and NMO models) attached to the passenger side of your hood--up by the windshield. You won't be able to run a big antenna, but I find a Comet B-10 (in PL or NMO) works for my needs. I've always been able to find a spot on the driver's side to bring the feedline in and power lines out of the passenger area. You can just mount the radio on the passenger side as far forward as possible...a few small holes won't decrease the value--just leave the screws in when you sell it (black looks best). Traded in a Ford last year where I did this and the dealer didn't say a word. You can put the radio under a seat, but not in a storage box--they need airflow for cooling.

Here are some pics. The antenna pic shows both if you look close. I have to take off the antenna for automatic car washes with brushes. The both have relays so they radios power on and off when the car is on and off--Ford has a bypass switch so I can turn on the radio with the car off (too lazy to install in Jeep).

Hope they help.

Attachments

• Ant.jpg
    Ant.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 504
  • Ford.jpg
    Ford.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 493
  • Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 476

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I have a couple NMO trunk mounts that I suppose I really could use. I would rather have one on the roof, but i'm deathly afraid of screwing up the curtain air bags. Is there a sure fire way of getting past those?

I appreciate the pics as well. I have ideas, just like different options.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for the reply. I have a couple NMO trunk mounts that I suppose I really could use. I would rather have one on the roof, but i'm deathly afraid of screwing up the curtain air bags. Is there a sure fire way of getting past those?

I've installed in many vehicles with side curtain airbags. It's not a big issue. Just route the coax above the airbag and then down the side pillar to your radio.
The curtain airbags are designed to deploy down over the door/window, so if you route along the skin of the vehicle, you'll be fine.
Other option is down the very front corner (A pillar) or down the very rear corner of the vehicle where there are no airbags.

The benefit to having the antenna up on the roof, where they belong, with a good ground plane more than makes up for the extra work.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
I agree that it belongs on the roof.

The next question is this. What about drilling through the "bucket" (For lack of better terms) that is below the passenger seat? I would need to drill a big enough hole for the 10-12 guage power wire, the control cable and the coax.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree that it belongs on the roof.

The next question is this. What about drilling through the "bucket" (For lack of better terms) that is below the passenger seat? I would need to drill a big enough hole for the 10-12 guage power wire, the control cable and the coax.

Edit, I misunderstood what you were asking.

Not sure what you mean by "bucket" under the set. If you mean drilling through the floor and routing the wire in from under the vehicle, that's usually not a good plan. It can be difficult to properly seal it up afterwards.

If the battery is under the hood, in the engine compartment, it's usually best to come through the firewall. It's easier to seal, and better protected. There are usually existing holes, grommets or wire paths that you can use for this. Spending some time under the hood with a light will help.

Last edited:

CanesFan95

What I can't understand is why a cop shop would install antennas this way instead of in the middle:

34412802321_e1436c9898_b.jpg

12dbsinad

Laziness.

Or, some dept's don't want the middle of the trunk occupied with an antenna. They use it as an evidence table. Either way, it should be there.

kb4mdz

Because they BELIEVE in their heart of hearts that drilling a hole in a flat surface like a trunk lid or a roof lessens the resale value of the car.

Never mind that cop cars and such rack up huge mileages and are beat to crap; no, a 3/4 inch antenna hole will reduce the potential of that car getting top dollar on the used market.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
The "bucket" so to speak, is a storage compartment installed under the seat cushion of the passenger front seat.
An update to my antenna install. I tried the trunk lip mount to the hood, didn't work (believe me, a MAJOR HEADACHE...missing a few allan wrenches), also tried a 90 degree NMO bracket to the fender, could NOT find a good path for coax through the fire-wall, so i'm still at a standstill.

I do have a window mount antenna ( I know, I know) but at this rate its almost the only option i have. The little label on the tint reads "20 tint" so i'm assuming that means what I think that means. Does anyone think a window mount antenna would work with this?

I am tempted to visit a Dodge dealership and get some opinions on running coax (i'm still worried about the curtain airbags)

cmdrwill

I am tempted to visit a Dodge dealership and get some opinions on running coax (i'm still worried about the curtain airbags)

I did that to try to find out what was up in the headliner. The Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer's had NO clue. Even tried a auto body/collision shop, again NO clues. NO dammed help...

Not hard to loosen the rubber at the top of the door opening and look up in the 'headliner'. I route the coax cable to the back of the rear door jam and down that pillar. That puts the coax away from the airbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.