• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Install NMO Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawsrock

Okay have a question about Nmo mounts? I have done some looking in Google but I am not finding what I am looking for. I have a Tri-Band Larsen antenna and a nmo with cable and pl-259 I have made my own truck lip mount but I think I may have made a mistake on the nmo. The nmo screws into the antenna but am I suppose to have some kind of washer for the other side of the mount? This is what I see, antenna,mount,nmo. So I guess what I am asking is what keeps it from coming through? I believe I am missing something, this is my first time dealing with these kinds of mounts.
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com

SLWilson

Lock nut missing?

pawsrock said:
Okay have a question about Nmo mounts? I have done some looking in Google but I am not finding what I am looking for. I have a Tri-Band Larsen antenna and a nmo with cable and pl-259 I have made my own truck lip mount but I think I may have made a mistake on the nmo. The nmo screws into the antenna but am I suppose to have some kind of washer for the other side of the mount? This is what I see, antenna,mount,nmo. So I guess what I am asking is what keeps it from coming through? I believe I am missing something, this is my first time dealing with these kinds of mounts.
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com

Below is what you SHOULD have with your NMO mount....See the photo...If you don't have the nut to tighten the mount (the piece that sticks up through the hole) it won't stay on!!!!

The bottom of the NMO (with coax attached) just does fit up through the hole in your bracket (if you drilled it correctly - there are two "ears" on the coax piect that keep it from going up through the hole). Once slid up through, you put the rubber gasket on (there is a cutout for it, you'll see it) then, you thread the large nut down and tighten it. This will keep the coax, antenna asmbly from moving around. At this point, you will see the threads to simply screw on your antenna. You're done! Just don't pinch your coax when you clost the hood!

One question....You said the antenna screws on OK, right? That would mean to me that your locking nut is IN your antenna base or it wouldn't do that!!!!

Hope this helps! Let me know back if you get it straightened out if you would!

Steve/KB8FAR

Attachments

• nmo 1.jpg
    nmo 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 9,612
Last edited:

fineshot1

In addition to what SLWilson posted the hole size the nmo gets mounted in should be a 3/4 inch hole. I thought I would add that since you said you made your own trunk lip mount.

pawsrock

Thanks

The picture is just what I was looking for. After looking at my nmo I now see the locking nut and all the other hardware. When I was looking at it before, it look like one whole piece. When I get everything installed I will post a picture of my setup to the list. I am going to place a GRE PSR-500 in my 05 Tacoma, so now the only thing left is to clean up my mount and install it and my wire for the antenna.
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com

SLWilson

Great !

pawsrock said:
The picture is just what I was looking for. After looking at my nmo I now see the locking nut and all the other hardware. When I was looking at it before, it look like one whole piece. When I get everything installed I will post a picture of my setup to the list. I am going to place a GRE PSR-500 in my 05 Tacoma, so now the only thing left is to clean up my mount and install it and my wire for the antenna.
Thanks
Ron Fone
www.flamesandfur.com
Good Luck!!! We'll wait to see the pictures!!!
Steve/KB8FAR :D

Status
Not open for further replies.