• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Installing a Motorola Maratrac Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHLLM

The 40 amp fuse requirement should be a clue. MaraTracs have 100-110 watt transmitters that require a solid 26-30 amps @13.8 volts to work at specs. If your power supply isn't capable of continuous and clean 13.6 volts @ 30+ amps, you need to stop and get a power supply that IS capable of powering the MaraTrac.

Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the power supply terminals. If the voltage is OK with no load, but is NOT OK with the radio connected, you need to stop and contact a qualified technician. Not to be mean, but you have demonstrated several times in this thread that you have neither the electrical knowledge nor the experience to proceed further without the strong probability of damaging the radio, if you haven't already damaged it. We are willing to help you, but blindly trying to diagnose something through an inexperienced second party relationship over distance is a crap shoot at best. Go back to the tech that helped you out previously.

Last edited:

Railham_CJ

Premium Subscriber
How many amps does this radio need to work? I am trying to run this radio off of a 15 amp power supply. The big red, small orange and green are all conected to the positive on the power supply and the big black is on negative. I go to turn the radio on and the channels start counting up higher and the volume starts counting louder and does not stop so I quickly turn the radio off. Am I doing something wrong? The radio used to be in a 2001 Ford F-150, worked just fine. The other radio is in an "88 GMC diesel. He wired them up the same way I am trying to do.

Help greatly appreciated.
Make sure the plug that goes to the radio unit not the head and make sure it is VERY tight and that should solve it . I had mine to do it and it was do to a contact not making a very good connection. doing that should solve your problem .

I have since taken the radio off my desk for use, but I will have to check it out. Unfortunately, those radios aren't worth much to sell.

kb8qeu

MaraTrac current load

I'm writing a pamplet on the MaraTrac radio sets.

Also, just starting to have a website and video on the same subject.

The listed current draw on transmit is 27 Amps.

I know Moto states to use a 40 Amp fuse but if you have a slow blow 30 Amp fuse, it will be better because an arc can form without shorting the 40 but the 30 will go.

For protection of the radio and leads, I'm using the slow blow 30s.

Ed --- KB8QEU

Status
Not open for further replies.