Interesting Frequencies You Found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Figured I would make a post and see what others have found.

What frequencies (Freq. and area) have you found interesting stuff on?
Police, fire, medical, special ops, events, etc....

Let's make this a fun and informative thread!!!

JnglMassiv

Here in Chicagoland, I sometimes hear chatter on 166.2500 (analog).
This is apparently an air-to-ground channel for local news helicopters.
I only hear it every few weeks and have wondered why this is plunked right in the middle of this Federal band.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have few strange ones but I'll post them later. Getting ready for work. :). 73, n9zas

gewecke

Banned
452.125 mhz. Simplex with a 203.5hz tone. Inversion scrambling with what sounds like a male and female talking, both mobile. No license found either. I'm going to attempt to unscramble if they transmit long enough. 73, n9zas

N9JIG

Sheriff
I only hear it every few weeks and have wondered why this is plunked right in the middle of this Federal band.

There were a couple oddities like this and a couple others. I seem to recall they started out as being needed in New York City due to congestion there and then made available elsewhere.

There were a couple in the 170 MHz. range, and some of these were allocated for the Fire Radio Service as well. I think they ended up being used mostly as Mobile Extender channels for in-band extenders.

nd5y

163.25, 166.25, 170.15 and the 173.21-173.39 range are non-federal. There are also other frequencies in the 162-174 band that can be used be non-federal users on a secondary non-interference basis.

ecps92

and then the old Press channels in the high 173's as well as the SCADA channels

There were a couple oddities like this and a couple others. I seem to recall they started out as being needed in New York City due to congestion there and then made available elsewhere.

There were a couple in the 170 MHz. range, and some of these were allocated for the Fire Radio Service as well. I think they ended up being used mostly as Mobile Extender channels for in-band extenders.

n9lob

Premium Subscriber
In Peoria,166.250 was used by WIRL AM radio for their 'Big Red' and 'Little Red' news units. They also used it between the studio and the transmitter site when it was time to change transmit patterns and take readings.

In the summer if I had the scanner in the car I could often hear the WGN-AM traffic copter on the same channel. Every so often it would interfere with the WIRL news units during a live report. Their antenna was a couple of hundred feet higher than mine so even if I wasn't hearing the copter, I knew they were. WXCL AM briefly had air traffic reports with a ISP Corporal on 161.73. If I recall, he had an HT on ISPERN to talk to D8 if needed for coordinating accident response. Other stations questioned what a state employee was doing 'working' for a media outlet and the trooper was grounded.

Back then (1976) I had a BC210 with ten channels. I would monitor the local media and if they dispatched units to a scene I could program that areas channels into the remaining slots to see what I could hear. Sometimes they would talk trash on their competitors. Newscene 19 was Boozescene and 31 News Alive was News Dead.

nd5y

More information on 166.25 and 170.15 is at eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

(8) Operation on frequencies 166.25 MHz and 170.15 MHz is subject to the condition that harmful interference shall not be caused to present or future Government stations in the band 162-174 MHz and is also subject to the bandwidth and tolerance limitations and compliance deadlines listed in §74.462 of this part. Authorization on these frequencies shall be in the lower 48 contiguous States only, except within the area bounded on the west by the Mississippi River, on the north by the parallel of latitude 37°30′ N., and on the east and south by that arc of the circle with center at Springfield, Illinois, and radius equal to the airline distance between Springfield, Illinois, and Montgomery, Alabama, subtended between the foregoing west and north boundaries, or within 150 miles (241.4 km) of New York City.

gewecke

Banned
Heard Ilinois National guard detail this am on I-88 pulled over for logistics. 34.900mhz. Fm with a Pl of 151.4 hz. Unknown where they were enroute to or from. :). 73, n9zas

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Heard Ilinois National guard detail this am on I-88 pulled over for logistics. 34.900mhz. Fm with a Pl of 151.4 hz. Unknown where they were enroute to or from. :). 73, n9zas

That would of been pretty interesting to listen to. Nice catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.