Intermittant performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

btf9000

Intermittent performance

I searched the board, but I didn't find this: My 500 only works 95% of the time. The other 5%, it does this: No reception whatsoever - not even "wx" stuff. The display reads >>>>scanning<<<< (with moving arrows), but _simultaneously_ stops on the first conventional freq and stays there with no sound. Pushing "scan" only moves the scanner ahead to the next conventional freq. Squelch, antenna, location, attenuation, power supply, V folder, on/off cycle, remove/replace batteries, physical movement - all irrelevant. I have the CPU/firmware upgrades. Then, almost magically, the scanner will start working - just because. Then, it's OK. No momentary on-again off-again behavior, it'll just work normally for days. Then...not. Any ideas?

Last edited:

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Might have some local RF that causes it to stop on a conventional freq, but not open the squelch. Mine does that every so often. Does it do this when you are away from computers, cordless phones, etc, etc?

btf9000

Yup - does it whenever and wherever. Location, antenna and attenuation don't matter. It just stops working, sometimes for up to an hour or so. Then it'll work - perfectly.

JT-112

The PSR500 has a problem whereby quick bursts of interference will make it stop on a channel but not unsquelch.

End result, no audio, no scanning.

The DSP needs some time to figure out if there's a PL or DPL before unsquelching. However, for some reason GRE implemented this PL/code check even on non-PL or code/PL search channels.

So, if there's intermod or other interference comes and goes at a pretty quick rate - quicker than the PL/DPL detection time of the DSP - lockup of the radio ensues. Heck, it doesn't even have to be IMD, it can be multicast flutter.

Bottom line, for straight monitoring of non-trunked channels, I've gone back to my Pro96, too many missed transmissions on conventional channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.