• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Intermittant performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

btf9000

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2
Intermittent performance

I searched the board, but I didn't find this: My 500 only works 95% of the time. The other 5%, it does this: No reception whatsoever - not even "wx" stuff. The display reads >>>>scanning<<<< (with moving arrows), but _simultaneously_ stops on the first conventional freq and stays there with no sound. Pushing "scan" only moves the scanner ahead to the next conventional freq. Squelch, antenna, location, attenuation, power supply, V folder, on/off cycle, remove/replace batteries, physical movement - all irrelevant. I have the CPU/firmware upgrades. Then, almost magically, the scanner will start working - just because. Then, it's OK. No momentary on-again off-again behavior, it'll just work normally for days. Then...not. Any ideas?
 
Last edited:

captaincraig44

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 19, 2003
Messages
791
Location
Arvada
Might have some local RF that causes it to stop on a conventional freq, but not open the squelch. Mine does that every so often. Does it do this when you are away from computers, cordless phones, etc, etc?
 

btf9000

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2
Yup - does it whenever and wherever. Location, antenna and attenuation don't matter. It just stops working, sometimes for up to an hour or so. Then it'll work - perfectly.
 

sixtytwo

Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
465
The PSR500 has a problem whereby quick bursts of interference will make it stop on a channel but not unsquelch.

End result, no audio, no scanning.

The DSP needs some time to figure out if there's a PL or DPL before unsquelching. However, for some reason GRE implemented this PL/code check even on non-PL or code/PL search channels.

So, if there's intermod or other interference comes and goes at a pretty quick rate - quicker than the PL/DPL detection time of the DSP - lockup of the radio ensues. Heck, it doesn't even have to be IMD, it can be multicast flutter.

Bottom line, for straight monitoring of non-trunked channels, I've gone back to my Pro96, too many missed transmissions on conventional channels.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top