AR-DV10 Internal images and tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0ne

Apparently you have zero knowledge on this subject, that extra wire and connecters is called a JTAG. It’s useless further discussing this with you anyways ;)

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks. I might see if I can compile the code and check out the DV-10 code this weekend. I suspect the author created the Renesas RX630 processor module to look at Uniden BCD536HP code. I noticed a number of scanner/receiver manufacturers used Hitachi (now Renesas) processors for many years.

73 Eric

c0ne

Hello,

Thanks. I might see if I can compile the code and check out the DV-10 code this weekend. I suspect the author created the Renesas RX630 processor module to look at Uniden BCD536HP code. I noticed a number of scanner/receiver manufacturers used Hitachi (now Renesas) processors for many years.

73 Eric

This also has a RX processor, https://onlinedisassembler.com/static/home/index.html and works kinda ok. I will upload the compiled module later, safes you looking for the right IDA SDK.

dmaria

I have been watching these threads for some time now. I really wanted to buy the AOR when it was first announced, but I am so glad I didn't. I would have been extremely upset with the drifting issue. If Icom does add DMR to the R30, I will purchase it the same day.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I have been watching these threads for some time now. I really wanted to buy the AOR when it was first announced, but I am so glad I didn't. I would have been extremely upset with the drifting issue. If Icom does add DMR to the R30, I will purchase it the same day.

I second that, I too have been reading the comments and very much wanted a DV10. It is shameful that AOR would offer a such product and then not appease the customers that purchased.
I'm also very surprised that authorized dealers like Universal reluctant to pressure AOR to take back defective radios.
At this stage, I was hopping AOR would salvage their tarnish reputation by recalling defective stock and offering a product that works as advertised,(especially at this price), but it does not seem that is going to happen.
So, R30 I will be purchasing with hopeful anticipation of DMR added

palmerjrusa

I second that, I too have been reading the comments and very much wanted a DV10. It is shameful that AOR would offer a such product and then not appease the customers that purchased.
I'm also very surprised that authorized dealers like Universal reluctant to pressure AOR to take back defective radios.
At this stage, I was hopping AOR would salvage their tarnish reputation by recalling defective stock and offering a product that works as advertised,(especially at this price), but it does not seem that is going to happen.
So, R30 I will be purchasing with hopeful anticipation of DMR added

Especially since the ic-r30 was stellar in this respect (and $500.00 cheaper):

"The IC-R30 is absolutely rock stable. No drifting at any time was noted in any mode (below 1000 MHz). Even better yet the frequency display was dead on with the test sample. "

N9EWO Reviews:Icom IC-R30/IC-R20 WideBand HandHeld Receivers

There's no excuse for this deficiency, plus all the attendant others, from a reputable company like AOR, the ARDV-10 is not fit for sale.

I notice the price has already dropped $100.00 in the last few days. I'm betting word is getting around and they're having difficulty selling it.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
AOR's reputation

There's no excuse for this deficiency, plus all the attendant others, from a reputable company like AOR, the ARDV-10 is not fit for sale.

No apologies for this. I have expressed similar sentiments already here and on other Forums.

AOR 'had' a very high reputation, and rightly so.

It has become increasingly clear that the AR-DV10 is flawed. Although I agree it should never have been released in this condition, I do sympathise with AOR. Any of us can make mistakes. I am sure the Radio was tested before release, and possibly under Laboratory conditions it 'appeared' to be functioning correctly, however the high PPM figure originally quoted may indicate that there may have been some doubts.

As with the AR-DV1 there were firmware issues. I always expected that. With coding so complicated it was all but inevitable. However there were a lot of firmware issues that should have been corrected before release.

Nevertheless, as with the original DV1 they were matters which could be put right in future F/W/ updates.

However the frequency instability/drift/display matters, once discovered and reported on by genuine DV10 owners are an entirely different matter.

Very quickly it became apparent that these were not things that were either F/W related, or capable of being corrected in F/W. Possible they could be 'fudged' a little with software updates, but in fact they demonstrated hardware issues. Possibly some inferior components, possibly the PCB's design themselves.

I imagine some people will have bought AR-DV10's and think their performance is OK. In reality, unless they are in a position to test it side by side with another Digital Mode receiver, they will never know just 'how much they are missing', signal -wise.

That was the 'tipping point'. AOR had a difficult decision to make. Come 'clean', re-call the DV10's and put the hardware issues right, or try to 'bluff it out'.

Sadly, they decided on the latter course, no doubt they did not want to 'lose face' and understandably did not want to incur the costs involved.

This was a very short sighted decision in the long term. It can take years to build a good reputation, but not long to shatter it.

The DV10 hardware problems and AOR's reputation are paramount here. If they had accepted the problems, 'came clan', accepted the financial implications, and did the 'right' things then their reputation MAY have been slightly tarnished, but most people would soon forget that, and applaud them for their subsequent actions.

Once a DV10 that was OK was re-released, AOR's reputation would have increased.

Some people on this thread describe anyone who brings these matters out into the open as 'DV10 haters' with ulterior malign motives. This is so FAR from the truth. The problems were discovered by people who had paid out £1000 or more because they wanted an AR-DV10, believed its advertised description, believed in AOR, and its reputation.

AOR seems hell bent on risking their reputation.

Whatever their true motives may be, those that post saying that the DV10 either does not have these faults, or that they are correctable in firmware, and belittle those who have brought these matters to others attention are not doing AOR any favours at all.

Like so many of us, all we want is to be able to buy an AR-DV10 that truly is fully 'fit for purpose', and no doubt to also possess it with pride, and heap praise on AOR. Not a lot to ask for a Radio of this price.

In the words of 'Dirty Harry', AOR have to 'ask themselves a question'. What price do they put on sustaining their previously high reputation?

TMac20

No apologies for this. I have expressed similar sentiments already here and on other Forums.

AOR 'had' a very high reputation, and rightly so.

It has become increasingly clear that the AR-DV10 is flawed. Although I agree it should never have been released in this condition, I do sympathise with AOR. Any of us can make mistakes. I am sure the Radio was tested before release, and possibly under Laboratory conditions it 'appeared' to be functioning correctly, however the high PPM figure originally quoted may indicate that there may have been some doubts.

As with the AR-DV1 there were firmware issues. I always expected that. With coding so complicated it was all but inevitable. However there were a lot of firmware issues that should have been corrected before release.

Nevertheless, as with the original DV1 they were matters which could be put right in future F/W/ updates.

However the frequency instability/drift/display matters, once discovered and reported on by genuine DV10 owners are an entirely different matter.

Very quickly it became apparent that these were not things that were either F/W related, or capable of being corrected in F/W. Possible they could be 'fudged' a little with software updates, but in fact they demonstrated hardware issues. Possibly some inferior components, possibly the PCB's design themselves.

I imagine some people will have bought AR-DV10's and think their performance is OK. In reality, unless they are in a position to test it side by side with another Digital Mode receiver, they will never know just 'how much they are missing', signal -wise.

That was the 'tipping point'. AOR had a difficult decision to make. Come 'clean', re-call the DV10's and put the hardware issues right, or try to 'bluff it out'.

Sadly, they decided on the latter course, no doubt they did not want to 'lose face' and understandably did not want to incur the costs involved.

This was a very short sighted decision in the long term. It can take years to build a good reputation, but not long to shatter it.

The DV10 hardware problems and AOR's reputation are paramount here. If they had accepted the problems, 'came clan', accepted the financial implications, and did the 'right' things then their reputation MAY have been slightly tarnished, but most people would soon forget that, and applaud them for their subsequent actions.

Once a DV10 that was OK was re-released, AOR's reputation would have increased.

Some people on this thread describe anyone who brings these matters out into the open as 'DV10 haters' with ulterior malign motives. This is so FAR from the truth. The problems were discovered by people who had paid out £1000 or more because they wanted an AR-DV10, believed its advertised description, believed in AOR, and its reputation.

AOR seems hell bent on risking their reputation.

Whatever their true motives may be, those that post saying that the DV10 either does not have these faults, or that they are correctable in firmware, and belittle those who have brought these matters to others attention are not doing AOR any favours at all.

Like so many of us, all we want is to be able to buy an AR-DV10 that truly is fully 'fit for purpose', and no doubt to also possess it with pride, and heap praise on AOR. Not a lot to ask for a Radio of this price.

In the words of 'Dirty Harry', AOR have to 'ask themselves a question'. What price do they put on sustaining their previously high reputation?

The above comments are very fair and balanced. I have conducted numerous tests and will post the results shortly - I want to see the next firmware update to see what changes if anything before I post the results.

AOR are reading all comments, and they will have to decide how to address the issues fast (like within weeks) to salvage what could be the final phases of AOR keeping that long history of respect that they have had up to now.

If it was me running AOR - I would spend whatever it takes to make things right, mistakes happen, we can all forgive those and move forward if that is ultimately what it turns out to be.

So far all reports on the Icom ICR30 have been outstanding and as advertised, it's not much for anyone to expect really when buying a product.

woodpecker

AOR don’t do anything fast, they’ve not reacted to the fault reports in a responsible way, instead buried their heads deeper in the sand and carried on selling it.

The DV10 is a failure.
AOR are a failure.
I would never buy another AOR product.

grosminet

I have an AR5000 for 25 years now . That's the reason I bought an ARDV10.

I have sevaral DMR TX (5) , NXDN (VHF UHF) , I have dsd fast lane .

My purpose with ARDV10 is to listen to all modes when I move from place to place .

results :

- DSTAR : nice
- NXDN 4800 : nice .I can listen to trunked mode in conventional mode (not possible with NX220 ou nx320)
- dPMR : nice we have a nationwilde red cross network I can listen now
- DMR : bull**** !!! some capacity + network aren't decoded , audio is bad , on some motorola conventional frequencies, I can have color code but no audio (of course no encryption or als) . md380 can listen

Waiting for nxdn 9600

palmerjrusa

My purpose with ARDV10 is to listen to all modes when I move from place to place .

results :

- NXDN 4800 : nice .I can listen to trunked mode in conventional mode (not possible with NX220 ou nx320)
- DMR : bull**** !!! some capacity + network aren't decoded , audio is bad , on some motorola conventional frequencies, I can have color code but no audio (of course no encryption or als) . md380 can listen

Waiting for nxdn 9600

It's really disappointing re AOR and the ARDV-10.
I also also own, and will, never, ever, ever, part with my AR5000+3, just an outstanding receiver in all respects, so AOR can deliver the goods if it wants to.

palmerjrusa

The above comments are very fair and balanced. I have conducted numerous tests and will post the results shortly - I want to see the next firmware update to see what changes if anything before I post the results.

AOR are reading all comments, and they will have to decide how to address the issues fast (like within weeks) to salvage what could be the final phases of AOR keeping that long history of respect that they have had up to now.

If it was me running AOR - I would spend whatever it takes to make things right, mistakes happen, we can all forgive those and move forward if that is ultimately what it turns out to be.

So far all reports on the Icom ICR30 have been outstanding and as advertised, it's not much for anyone to expect really when buying a product.

Really looking forward to reading your report!

c0ne

results :

Waiting for nxdn 9600

There is some test firmware floating around that will make some of those DMR signals decode, that did not decode previously. Sadly this does not improve the quality of the decoded audio. Hopefully a more narrow IF filter will solve that..

palmerjrusa

Is it just me or does it seem like Icom has really been on a roll these past 2/3 years and leading the pack with outstanding equipment like the ic-7300, ic-r8600, ic-r30 etc...?

Status
Not open for further replies.