Introducing the SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For all those who are considering buying this scanner, but are coming from a 996 series scanners, yes it can be set up almost identically with some creative programming. Had this conversation last night with a 996T owner who is frustrated with the P25 simulcast reception. He sat here in awe as both the 100 and 200 were picking up entire conversations and his 996T was cutting out, missing entire transmissions etc.

His apprehension is he thinks it's too complicated to program. As I explained the zip code feature, he still was looking a little overwhelmed. He likes the key pad press...1-Police, 2 Fire etc. and previously I taped an index card on his 996T to the top of his scanner as a guide.

I explained with some creative programming, I could duplicate it but the State Police will actually be received. Even with trunking systems, only putting in necessary talk groups, setting the scanner to ID scan mode, he'd be a happy camper.

We probably all have these "friends" who like the idea of a better scanner and some might be reading this, but aren't a fan of the complication of programming. Using the Favorites Lists numbering system, teaching those less techno savy as us, we could help them out. His tax return might be the deciding factor in his decision.

I always tell others, "it's only as complicated as you make it"....shades scanner programming motto :cool:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, the Favorites List Numbering System deserves it's own acronym - FLNS - I use it on all of my applicable digital scanners with great success. Now, I would never program my scanners any different way. It's like the old days at my desk with these new radios, just turning on and off all the appropriate banks!

MSGA! (Make Scanning Great Again) har har

JD
kf4anc

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
<snip> off topic where this is going to sit on my desk is also my computer and stuff now i see the antenna is on the back with a bnc ,is there a extention to maybee move my antena 5 feet out of the way ? or would i have to buy a new antenna with a longer cord ,im not trying to use a stronger one just trying to movie it a few feet away from my desk .. or is that going to be alot of work .

Not that much work. All you need is a coax jumper that is BNC male on one end, BNC female on the other, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/BULKHEAD-Pig...49993633&sr=8-20&keywords=jumper+coax+6ft+bnc

The hard part will be rigging up some kind of stand to keep your antenna in a vertical position. Maybe cut something out of some styrofoam or EV50 foam or something. Done.

Edit to add:
There's also this item at ScannerMaster which might serve your purpose:

Duckie Window Mount with BNC | Scanner Master

It's made for a car installation, clipped onto the top edge of a window, so there's an angle to the clip. You'd have to find or make something to clip it to at your home so the antenna will sit in a vertical position. But you've probably got something around the house already that would serve the purpose.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The hard part will be rigging up some kind of stand to keep your antenna in a vertical position. Maybe cut something out of some styrofoam or EV50 foam or something. Done..

Check out eBay (or even Walmart) for tons of different cellphone stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have an Idea why Uniden does NOT have a Audio TONE control or Audio Filters to make Audio Reception more clearer ?

Do you find a lack of treble in the sound coming from the SDS200? I know my 536 has a pretty "muddy" sound that is less than ideal, wondering if the SDS200 has a similar sound profile.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think the SDS200 has such great stand-alone audio from its own speaker that I have not yet decided on an aftermarket speaker for it. The audio is good and loud w/out distortion, crisp and clear with just enough bass and treble to make for a formidable sound all on its own. My only snafu was having to use the mobile bracket to elevate and tilt the scanner so as not to block the speaker, but I ordered a pkg of rubber 1" adhesive feet on eBay that should rectify that problem.

I use a Yaesu MLS speaker for my 536, which seems to work fine at bringing the audio to a favorable sound for me, as I usually run the volume on all my scanners at about 7-8. I, too, found the 536 audio to be slightly thick and muddy, but the MLS seems to alleviate that.

JD
kf4anc

KN4C

I think the SDS200 has such great stand-alone audio from its own speaker that I have not yet decided on an aftermarket speaker for it. The audio is good and loud w/out distortion, crisp and clear with just enough bass and treble to make for a formidable sound all on its own. My only snafu was having to use the mobile bracket to elevate and tilt the scanner so as not to block the speaker, but I ordered a pkg of rubber 1" adhesive feet on eBay that should rectify that problem.

I use a Yaesu MLS speaker for my 536, which seems to work fine at bringing the audio to a favorable sound for me, as I usually run the volume on all my scanners at about 7-8. I, too, found the 536 audio to be slightly thick and muddy, but the MLS seems to alleviate that.

JD
kf4anc

I agree the SDS200 speaker sounds great to me. I also like the bassy sound of the 536.

Peerlessk

The speaker is fine in the sds200 however I do NOT Like speakers faced down . I own several small speaker brands . I wired a minimus 7 speaker to a 3.5 plug . Hooked it to the external output and WOW ! Very clean sound .

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I agree about bottom firing speakers being a PITA for base use, and they are really only good for mobile installations that rely on the scanner's speaker. I use Motorola public safety speakers on all base scanners and have found them to be ideal, so there is little chance I will use the built-in speaker very much when my SDS200 arrives.

As far as rubber feet vs the bracket, I prefer the brackets in my main cabinet so that the scanners never move when buttons are pushed, and I think more sound gets out with the scanner tilted back on a bracket as opposed to using the feet where the speaker has little clearance and points straight down. I only use the rubber feet for scanners that sit around my shop, office, etc.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the Favorites List Numbering System deserves it's own acronym - FLNS - I use it on all of my applicable digital scanners with great success. Now, I would never program my scanners any different way. It's like the old days at my desk with these new radios, just turning on and off all the appropriate banks!

MSGA! (Make Scanning Great Again) har har

JD
kf4anc

FLiNS :geek:

glimerman

Premium Subscriber
thank you so much that is what i need and i can mount it with 2 cable wire ties so it stands straight up and down i like the one from scanmasters also both of these will be great once i get the radio tomorrow i will see if i need this thanks alot ,, and this wont affect my antenna power will it at all ?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I think that Uniden assumes that everyone will use the mounting bracket on the bottom (like in their promo pics) instead of sit it flat on the desk. I may be wrong but this has always been my assumption in the design. I use external speakers (actually my home setup has 6 scanners running into a mixer and then to a pair of powered studio monitors) so it doesn't matter but I can see what you mean in a way. I bet someone could 3D print a custom stand, in matching black, to perfectly fit the front and hold it at a nice angle...maybe 3/4" or 1" high? Could be a market for those...

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
thank you so much that is what i need and i can mount it with 2 cable wire ties so it stands straight up and down i like the one from scanmasters also both of these will be great once i get the radio tomorrow i will see if i need this thanks alot ,, and this wont affect my antenna power will it at all ?

Can you rephrase?

noaim

Premium Subscriber
thank you very much i will watch the video and for now i wont need to hook up to the lan . i may try proscan in the future once i learn a lot more about this radio but for now i been watching alot about sentinel so going to use that to get up and going.and yep i seen the part in a video where you can turn on any list you want but the fl list on the keys will be fast and nice .thanks again . off topic where this is going to sit on my desk is also my computer and stuff now i see the antenna is on the back with a bnc ,is there a extention to maybee move my antena 5 feet out of the way ? or would i have to buy a new antenna with a longer cord ,im not trying to use a stronger one just trying to movie it a few feet away from my desk .. or is that going to be alot of work .

It also allows you to stream to your phone using siren

Sent from my iPhone

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
It also allows you to stream to your phone using siren

Sent from my iPhone

Sure hope they do some work on that app. It has so much potential but needs work and with the new models coming out this would be the time to improve it in my view.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Sure hope they do some work on that app. It has so much potential but needs work and with the new models coming out this would be the time to improve it in my view.
That ship has sailed I don't forsee any updates on it. I have used it at home but now I use ProScan and TeamViewer on the road. I will agree siren did have alot of potential.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
That ship has sailed I don't forsee any updates on it. I have used it at home but now I use ProScan and TeamViewer on the road. I will agree siren did have alot of potential.
Ah, so using a mobile app to view Proscan on the PC? If I'm understanding you correctly that sounds like the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.